News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's wrong with this picture? Ebay '69 Charger R/T w/ matching?????

Started by hemi68charger, October 26, 2007, 08:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Wow, what's wrong with this picture.. Nice looking '69 Charger R/T I must say.. Have something special for this color for obvious reasons for those that know me and Dana...  But, come on... matching nnumber motor? Guess the factory's stamping division messed up and got a "L" code confused with the "J" code.... Look at the engine stamping... Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that surely looks like a "J"....

69 Charger R/T ebay car with "matching" motor?

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

mikepmcs

Troy
I agree with you that both the motor and the tranny have a J vice L.

If you read the listing description, he might know exactly what he is doing.

the first line states

1969 Dodge Charger R/T California Black Plate numbers matching motor & trans. Rebuilt motor and trans.

He doesn't actually say it is a numbers R/T, the way it is worded says it is an R/T with numbers matching motor and tranny, which appears to be true. and further down in the ad it says Motor and tranny are numbers matching.

It does say in his topic description "1969 Dodge Charger R/T #'s Matching Black Plate Car" but that can also mean the black plates are matching from front to back.  Not saying this guy is trying to deceive but a lot get tricky with words for sure.

I'd ask him the question and make him explain further. 

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69charger2002

that is odd. has to be a factory screw up on the stamping right? obviously that is a 440 and "J" denotes HEMI. and that ain't no hemi.. if all the rest of the numbers are on point then i would call it numbers matching too.
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

mikepmcs

Ok, didn't research enough to know that j meant hemi before i posted.

i guess i would assume then, that if the rest of the alphanumerics on the tranny and motor were in line with the vin then it would be NOM? or is it possible another 440 and tranny were restamped by someone else and they screwed up by marking a j vice l. 
Too easy to be a skeptic these days.  Still a nice car anyways if it's for real.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

bull

Some bozo milled the stamping pad and then restamped it with the wrong fake numbers. :loser: It's got one of those bassackwards Year One fans on the engine too. Nice car otherwise but I wouldn't buy it based on the false engine stamp.

1FastCharger

Am I missing something here?? Why is the ENTIRE VIN stamped there. The motors I have only have a partial VIN. This looks like an OBVIOUS restamp.
66 A100 - 68 Charger - 69 Charger

69_500

Someone forgot to paint the rear bezels stripe color on that car as well.

Its not a shabby looking car, even if it is bronze.  :lol:

Not sure on the restamping though. Tough to tell from those pics, but it could have just been a mistake from the factory. They were far from perfect. But it would take a closer inspection to see if the font/and or size is actually correct. Easiest way to tell would to see it in person.

69charger2002

Quote from: 1FastCharger on October 26, 2007, 05:49:09 PM
Am I missing something here?? Why is the ENTIRE VIN stamped there. The motors I have only have a partial VIN. This looks like an OBVIOUS restamp.

i stand corrected.. some 69's have partial VIN and some have full VIN.. so it COULD be legit in that sense..  who knows. if it was restamped and they got that obvious letter wrong, then they SUCK. at least make it right huh???  :eek2:
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Just 6T9 CHGR

Not one interior shot either.....I got him to post the tag & BS........after that I also clued him onto the incorrect stamping.....I'll wait for his reply...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69_500

They were stamping full VIN's on the blocks before january 1st of 1969. As I've seen full VIN's stamped on cars that were built August 21st of 1968.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on October 26, 2007, 08:33:07 PM
They were stamping full VIN's on the blocks before january 1st of 1969. As I've seen full VIN's stamped on cars that were built August 21st of 1968.

Dana's a Dec. '68 built car and she has her complete VIN on her block and tranny....

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

69_500

As a matter of fact, every Charger 500 I've crawled under has the complete VIN stamped on the block. Many with double stamping's on one letter.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 69_500 on October 26, 2007, 08:33:07 PM

I just ran across a 69 Coronet R/T with a SPD of Jan 14, 1969 that has the full VIN on the tranny. That is the latest STL car I've seen with a full VIN.

Does anyone have a picture of an engine VIN stamping from a Hamtramck built car built around the same time as the car in question so you can compare fonts?
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

hemigeno

Doug, I have the transmission from a St. Louis built Hemicharger that has the full VIN stamped, XS29J9G199xxx (forgot the last three numbers).

The assembly date on that transmission is in Mid-January, so you'd think that it took another week or so for that transmission to make it to the plant and be worked into the assembly line sequence.  Could have been a 3rd/4th week of January install?   :shruggy:

69CoronetRT

199XXX would be consistent with an SPD of 1/9 and I've seen up to a three week discrepancy between the SPD and VIN at 69 STL so a late January actual assembly wouldn't be out of line.

I guess the only thing this really tells us is that the 13 character VIN stampings went into at least Jan at STL.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

y3chargerrt

My Charger has the full vin stamped on the engine. Its a Hamtramck built car with a SPD of 1/20.

69_500

I believe that all of the Daytona's have the full VIN's stamped on the engine pad as well, and their production dates go well into June.

Chris G.

Not sure if that stamp is real or not, but it sure does look "fresh" (as well as the tag).

Restamps, "aged" repop broadcast sheets and window stickers are big business nowadays. Probably not on a car like this, but do you ever notice that it seems almost every Hemi car for sale has every document ever available when new? You really think all these guys buying Hemi's back then thought keeping a sales invoice or whatever would pay off 30 years later? Maybe some, but all?  :scratchchin:

?vnRT

Maybe this picture will help. It looks fresh because I rebuilt the motor and repainted the engine compartment.

?vnRT

Here's the block and tranny when I took it out of the car.

?vnRT

More pics................... Thanks

hemi68charger

Do you have the fender tag? If so, does the sequence number match the tag and motor/tranny stampings?

Troy
Troy

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 28, 2007, 07:22:06 PM
Do you have the fender tag? If so, does the sequence number match the tag and motor/tranny stampings?

Troy

Tag & BS pics are in the auction Troy and they match save for the "J"
Chris' '69 Charger R/T