News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

High speed miss - 440; now i'm getting MAD!!!

Started by 69chargeryeehaa, October 24, 2007, 09:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargeryeehaa

:icon_smile_angry: :brickwall:

I'm starting a new thread,

Here's the situation, i have a high speed miss with my 440, stock except for intake (chb4) and eddy carb 750, MP ele ign. When it gets to about 3400rpm, it starts to miss/bog. I had the original orange ingnition box, which the car was shutting off with after driving for an hour or so. SO i went to napa and got the ecu, replaced it, and now it does'nt shut off, but bogs at 3400+rpms. So i put the original one in, runs great, no miss, pulls right to 5000rpms perfect. Put the napa one back in and BOG. :brickwall:
so i figured it must be the ecu, got a new mopar orange box from the steelership, install it BOG. :icon_smile_dissapprove: :brickwall: :eek2:
Now i'm getting mad. I checked voltage at the coil and balast resistor, running at idle i have 13.6V at the keyed side of the resistor, and 9.4V at the coil, and the other side of the resistor. Coil is new, i'm running out of ideas?

I don't get why the napa ecu, and the brand new mopar orange box both have the miss/bog, and the original orange box is perfect, but the car dies after an hour of driving, wait 2 mins, starts right back up and dies 10mins later. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

This is starting to pi$$ me off :RantExplode: ideas? :smilie_help:

jg68

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on October 24, 2007, 09:25:39 PM
:icon_smile_angry: :brickwall:

I'm starting a new thread,

Here's the situation, i have a high speed miss with my 440, stock except for intake (chb4) and eddy carb 750, MP ele ign. When it gets to about 3400rpm, it starts to miss/bog. I had the original orange ingnition box, which the car was shutting off with after driving for an hour or so. SO i went to napa and got the ecu, replaced it, and now it does'nt shut off, but bogs at 3400+rpms. So i put the original one in, runs great, no miss, pulls right to 5000rpms perfect. Put the napa one back in and BOG. :brickwall:
so i figured it must be the ecu, got a new mopar orange box from the steelership, install it BOG. :icon_smile_dissapprove: :brickwall: :eek2:
Now i'm getting mad. I checked voltage at the coil and balast resistor, running at idle i have 13.6V at the keyed side of the resistor, and 9.4V at the coil, and the other side of the resistor. Coil is new, i'm running out of ideas?

I don't get why the napa ecu, and the brand new mopar orange box both have the miss/bog, and the original orange box is perfect, but the car dies after an hour of driving, wait 2 mins, starts right back up and dies 10mins later. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

This is starting to pi$$ me off :RantExplode: ideas? :smilie_help:

First, make sure the ECU is grounded GOOD, run a seperate groung wire wouldn't hurt, i would have said check the fuel supply also, but you do say it runs good with the original box to 5000, so i'll rule that out, the only thing i can think of is the ground, so make sure its good ;)

69chargeryeehaa

I've added a seccond ground to the mounting screw, that was done a long time ago, and it's for sure got a good ground.  :brickwall:

Back N Black

I had similar problems with a new coil,switched back to the old one and solved the problem.  :shruggy:

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: Back N Black on October 26, 2007, 08:52:54 AM
I had similar problems with a new coil,switched back to the old one and solved the problem.  :shruggy:

in my last post i tried another coil, same issue. :brickwall:

jg68

My advice, ditch the ECU box & get a nice Mallory box, i've got there 6A box & i am more then happy with it, in fact, i like it better then my MSDs i had, i paid 129.00 for it, it puts out a healthy spark & keeps the plugs nice & clean, thats what i would do ;)