News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The top 3 things you did for better handling?

Started by 2Gunz, October 24, 2007, 05:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Quote from: NYCMille on October 25, 2007, 09:01:29 AM
1. Good rubber - take off the Cooper Cobra's or Radial T/As and throw them in the trash - they're garbage.

What kinda tires do you use?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Ghoste

I'm another one who found the biggest three were tires, shocks, and springs.  I'd have to say the front end rebuild is tied with springs for the number 3 spot though. 

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mikepmcs

Cody,
I think he likes dunlop sp series tires.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

HITMAN 149

nitto's ?????  :shruggy: i think i remember him saying that?!?!?
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

HITMAN 149

not that i would be able to compare before N after (as i've only driven the car about 15 miles in the year that i've had it) as it's been in the shop since last jan 21st!!!  :brickwall:.. but i've done (all  brand new..)
*poly/graph front & rear sway bars...(pst kit.. i
*KYB's all around (wish i had known about the eelbrock's before i did the kyb's) oh well... maybe later???
*ALL new poly/graph front suspension kit w/ heavy duty tie rods...(pst)
i'm going to do 18x10's out back & 17x8 or9's up front.... haven't decided on which wheels or rubber yet???
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

RallyeMike

To best answer the question, how is Gunz car set up right now?

Assuming the suspension is in reasonable stock condition, if there are no sway bars, I'd add those as #1. If there are sway bars, I'd upgrade them as #1. Second would be bigger spring rates front and rear. Third would be subframe connectors. Subframe connectors don't do that much until the supsension is at the point where it flexes the body a lot.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

Don't they flex quite a bit even in a dead stock tame application?

autodynamics

well guys allot can be done with making this car handle. i would put edelbrock ias shocks in. Eaton springs out back. in the front tubular uppers, reinforced lowers new bushing kit throughout, a hotchkis front sway bar, firm feel stage 3 box, a 17" or 18" wheel combo. i would use .96 torsion bars as well. keep in mind all these mods have to compliment each other and dialing in your suspension takes time. as far as brakes are concerned i would use a willwood or bear set up. BUT u HAVE TO USE A HYDROBOOST system to make these brakes really shine. otherwise they will not perform like you think. me and mike (NYCMILLE) have been through allot of testing more so him than me but i can say with my combo i love my ride/ performance/ overall feel of the car. i would also sound deaden the entire car and make your car more enjoyable to drive especially if your going to be "driving" it. i would also use the xv rad support.i don't think i would use the inner fender braces if your not going to do a after market front end. i don't think there necessary. all the tension of the suspension is on the torsion bars on a after market front end all the stress is on the stock towers, that were all the load is going.keep in mind also which tire wheel combo your doing because you might have some tire fender brace issues to contend with.  i definitely with out a doubt put in sub frame connectors. also i would get a good driving seat the factory mopar seats are terrible for driving. they offer no support. i would do all this and take some time to use your car and get your package working together. then sit back and enjoy and let'r rip...... ohhhhhh AND DO NOT PUT KYB'S IN              THERE TERRIBLE

RallyeMike

... and which ones were the top three?   :lol:

QuoteDon't they flex quite a bit even in a dead stock tame application?

Sure. But If your car is rolling over on its door handles because of lack of sway bars or small bars, and/or mushy spring rates, subframe connectors are really not much of an improvement. Bang for the buck, start with sway bars, torsion bars, and springs.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

TK73

Funny how KYB's are getting absolutely slammed now, a few years ago the were the shee-it...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Ghoste

This is the first I've read of them not being the shee-it.  Have they lagged that far behind their competitiors or outsource the manufacture to the cheapest bidder or what?

autodynamics

the kyb's are equivalent to crap.... they are so bad when you put a real shock in your like what the hell was i thinking

Ghoste

So how did they get such a reputation for handling?