News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's it worth - '68 383 Calif car, soild...any lurkers up late?

Started by Dans 68, October 24, 2007, 01:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

Just saw a '68 advertised, with a 383 and auto. It is a California Car, all original except for the wheels , paint and radio. Some pictures are attached. I want a solid '68, non-RT to create my own triple black, 4-speed, cruiser. Is his asking price of $14,900 reasonable? I'll probably look very closely at it over the next few days, to see how solid the body is, the running gear and incidentals (you know, the expensive extras like trim, trim and more trim). What are the expensive items for a '68, by the way?

Here is what the owner said: it is completely stock and original except for 1 repaint, wheels and radio.It needs a new trunk floor,otherwise the body is good.The seats need recovering and new carpet.

I know that you can consider yourself ahead of the game if the body work is complete but I am a neophyte with regards to pricing one of these beauties. What say you experts? Oh, and please don't hold back.  :eyes:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

Black interior I assume? I don't know about that price. Sounds darn near twice what it's worth IMO, especially if it needs ANY rust replacement and I'll bet you $14,900 there's more rust than what he says there is. I'd say it's worth about $8k, no more than $10k for sure.

Are you going to stick with the 383 or go with a 440? If you're going with a 440 I'd try finding something without an engine that's priced accordingly.

C500

Seems a little pricey, probably worth closer to 10, 12 at a stretch. Is it the original engine? When you say what are the expensive items, do you mean items that add value to it when loolking to buy or items that are expensive when doing a resto?

kiwi
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

chargerboy69

Quote from: bull on October 24, 2007, 02:42:00 AM
Black interior I assume? I don't know about that price. Sounds darn near twice what it's worth IMO, especially if it needs ANY rust replacement and I'll bet you $14,900 there's more rust than what he says there is. I'd say it's worth about $8k, no more than $10k for sure.

Are you going to stick with the 383 or go with a 440? If you're going with a 440 I'd try finding something without an engine that's priced accordingly.

I totally agree with Bull. It is way over priced. People are still wanting prices from a year ago.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

zerfetzen

Any pics underneath?  Don't forget you'll have to pull the little dent on the rear valence, and there are enough (what sure look like) rust spots showing through the paint on those ends back there, or the front fenders, to suggest that there might be some work ahead.  I wonder what the roof looks like regarding rust with the vinyl top off, or the sail panel area with the rear window out.  If the trunk is bad, how are the rear frame rails?  The cause of a lot of the trunk rust may be rust holes above it near the rear window, I'd REALLY look for that.

I'm no pro, but I agree, about $8k.
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

Charger-Bodie

in todays market id say 7k-9k denbending on youre closer inspection.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dans 68

Thanks for the input, Guys. I'm going to see if I can take an up close look and snap a few pictures. I'll post when that happens.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

blackcharger

that belt molding should knock $5grand off. I agree, way over priced. for the asking price, it shouldn't need anything.

Argos_Chargers

Is that a patch of rust in the driver's door?  What about the primer in the passenger's rocker and th erust at the bottom rear of th epassenger's fender?.  There's some work to be done on that car!
MoPar -- The only way to fly!