News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I found two pictures of BZ's Hemi Charger way back when...

Started by xs29j8Bullitt, October 23, 2007, 05:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xs29j8Bullitt

...I looked at the car in the early (?) 80's.  I hope to find other/better pictures, but came across these two today.  The second one below is just a zoomed in version of the first, so there are actually only two pictures so far.  There were two empty pockets in the album next to these pictures, so I feel there are at least two still missing...  It may be a long time before they are found.  :P

Here are the two threads Brandon posted about his "barn find":

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,34126.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,34526.0.html

As I mentioned in those threads, no sign of a Daytona wing at that time...

XS
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

69bronzeT5

wow! Thanks for sharing the pics man. Its sorta funny....a 69 HEMI R/T sitting in the middle of no-where.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

tan top

thanks for sharing :yesnod:  hmmmmmmmmmmm  no wing :scratchchin:       :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

The70RT

I guess that takes all guessing away on a factory or dealer installation.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

69bronzeT5

Quote from: The70RT on October 23, 2007, 06:30:51 PM
I guess that takes all guessing away on a factory or dealer installation.

Yep, I guess so. So that leaves the question...where is the Daytona that the wing came from? :shruggy:

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

The70RT

Quote from: Magnumcharger on October 23, 2007, 07:04:28 PM
Hard to believe it was that crusty...even back then!

It looks strange to have the rust start on inside the trunk first....but he said the trunk was good??
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bzabodyn

WOW! Thanks so much for posting those pictures!  That does tell me the wing was installed after that fact... That shop actually belongs to the original owner's father, so that's about as legit as it gets... I'm guessing that it was after this that the car found it's way under the tree that accelerated the rust issue in the rear - but probably not for another 5-6 yrs or so???

I only WISH it was in that condition today! My life would be much easier!  But as it is, it's going to be a fun learning experience...

I have the wing for sale in the classifieds, FYI, with three interested buyers already - so it's practically gone... I'm going to need all I can muster up for this high $$$ resto...

THANKS AGAIN ALLEN!!!

Brandon
1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

HITMAN 149

" ...I looked at the car in the early (?) 80's."  :brickwall:   :brickwall:
agggghhhhhhhhh if we knew then what we know now!?!?!?!?! :icon_smile_blackeye:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

moparstuart

Quote from: Magnumcharger on October 23, 2007, 07:04:28 PM
Hard to believe it was that crusty...even back then!
even harder to believe the quarter was that crusty and they installed a wing ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

bzabodyn

I know, right? You can't believe how scary it was to get that thing home on the back of a flatbed truck - and that wing swaying in the wind  :o

I talked to the gentleman that I purchased the car from (the owner's brother) and he said he must have installed the wing right after that because in the early- to mid-80s the owner talked to him about really wanting to start restoring the car and basically turn it into a track/race car... his brother basically told him he was nuts because he was in a financial squeeze and was worrying about messing with an f'ing car...

BZ

HITMAN 149

his brother basically told him he was nuts because he was in a financial squeeze and was worrying about messing with an f'ing car...

BUT IT'S A 4 $PD... HEMI!!!!!!!!!!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

bzabodyn

Yeah, but that was over 20 years ago though... but, a bad-ass car is a bad-ass car no matter what  :2thumbs:

HITMAN 149

but, a bad-ass car is a bad-ass car no matter what  :2thumbs:
THAT"S RIGHT!!!!!!!!!
and you my friend.. will have a verrrrry expen$ive BAD ASSSSS CAR!!!!!!!!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

charge69

Hey BZABODYN, have you decided where you are going to have the restoration done? Mine is in a little better condition than yours, but I bought mine in the late '70's and it has been garaged ever since. Mine came with steelies and the deluxe wheelcovers and the wheels on it now are just to move it around. Still have all 5 wheels, but only 3 hubcaps. It is also all-numbers matching and unmolested.

I am also in the Houston area and have a friend who is going to do the lion's share of the restoration and will start soon. He is finishing up a "rotissiere" restoration on a '69 Roadrunner right now and it is Gorgeous! As you can see in my avatar, mine is R6 red with white top,interior and stripe. Mine is also an automatic which I actually prefer. I would be too tempted to hotrod the 4spd! The auto car will "get it on down the road" anyway!

Let me know where you decide.

Charge69

Edited to say, after looking again at your pics, mine is in a LOT better shape.  Yours will be an awesome R/T!

bzabodyn

Quote from: charge69 on October 24, 2007, 11:32:10 AM
Hey BZABODYN, have you decided where you are going to have the restoration done? Mine is in a little better condition than yours, but I bought mine in the late '70's and it has been garaged ever since. Mine came with steelies and the deluxe wheelcovers and the wheels on it now are just to move it around. Still have all 5 wheels, but only 3 hubcaps. It is also all-numbers matching and unmolested.

I am also in the Houston area and have a friend who is going to do the lion's share of the restoration and will start soon. He is finishing up a "rotissiere" restoration on a '69 Roadrunner right now and it is Gorgeous! As you can see in my avatar, mine is R6 red with white top,interior and stripe. Mine is also an automatic which I actually prefer. I would be too tempted to hotrod the 4spd! The auto car will "get it on down the road" anyway!

Let me know where you decide.

Charge69

Edited to say, after looking again at your pics, mine is in a LOT better shape.  Yours will be an awesome R/T!

Well, thanks for rubbing it in! Mine hasn't exactly been cared for much over the last 20+ yrs, so there's a lot of making up to do...

I'm pretty sold on Jeff Snyder w/ Jeff's Resurrections in Taylor, TX - as far as the quality of work and the resources he has at hand, there's not much better out there.... pricey, yes, but perfection is their key... I've kinda given him a budget to work within and while the car is sitting for the next few months (I'm going to send it up to him in the next month or so but he's not going to be able to start on it until after the first of the year) - he's going to give me a list of all the parts he'll need and I'll begin tracking down odd and end things here and there (main thing is a donor car for rear panels, etc)... and if I can, I'll also outsource a couple of things here and there to save some money as long as I'm not cutting corners...

If I can stay within our $75k budget, I think we'll be pretty satisfied, given that nearly everyone I've talked to has given me quotes over $100k... so we'll see... if you or anyone else has any experience that might help my situation out, I would greatly appreciate it!

BZ

charge69

Sorry, I wasn't rubbing it in, just comparing!  A donor car for the rear quarters and everything else will be hard to find that doesn't have issues there too. A no-rust donor will be expensive and cutting up a Charger in good shape to use as a donor would be hard for me to do. You might have to do that, though by the looks of the rear of the car.

I am going to try to save as much of the original metal as I can. That means using patch panels but, that is my plan for now. Your budget sounds about right if you can save some money here and there. Good luck and let me know how I can help.

Joshua

Cool thread....
Another example of what happens to these cars when they sit.......nothing is worse on a car than NOT driving them.....
Gonna be a nice one restored. ;D

69_500

So just what is the hole in the top of the quarter panel for? In the 3rd photo posted, there is a useless hole drilled in top of the quarter panel. Guessing he already had intentions of putting a wing on it at that time.

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: 69_500 on October 24, 2007, 03:44:28 PM
So just what is the hole in the top of the quarter panel for? In the 3rd photo posted, there is a useless hole drilled in top of the quarter panel. Guessing he already had intentions of putting a wing on it at that time.

What looks like a hole may be a rust hole or rust spot.  The location does not match a possible wing stud location in either the fore/aft or inboard/outboard direction.  Look at the relative location in the composite picture below.

Maybe Brandon can have a look and post the answer...

Allen

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: bzabodyn on October 23, 2007, 09:23:57 PM
WOW! Thanks so much for posting those pictures!  That does tell me the wing was installed after that fact... That shop actually belongs to the original owner's father, so that's about as legit as it gets... I'm guessing that it was after this that the car found it's way under the tree that accelerated the rust issue in the rear - but probably not for another 5-6 yrs or so???

I only WISH it was in that condition today! My life would be much easier!  But as it is, it's going to be a fun learning experience...

I have the wing for sale in the classifieds, FYI, with three interested buyers already - so it's practically gone... I'm going to need all I can muster up for this high $$$ resto...

THANKS AGAIN ALLEN!!!

Brandon

Glad you liked them Brandon...  I can send you larger scans of the pictures related to your car if you want them for your history on the Charger... Let me know.

Allen

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Joshua on October 24, 2007, 02:16:50 PM

Another example of what happens to these cars when they sit

My site is FULL of examples!!!! :smilielol:

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: bzabodyn on October 24, 2007, 02:01:37 PM
I'm pretty sold on Jeff Snyder w/ Jeff's Resurrections in Taylor, TX - as far as the quality of work and the resources he has at hand, there's not much better out there.... pricey, yes, but perfection is their key... I've kinda given him a budget to work within and while the car is sitting for the next few months (I'm going to send it up to him in the next month or so but he's not going to be able to start on it until after the first of the year) - he's going to give me a list of all the parts he'll need and I'll begin tracking down odd and end things here and there (main thing is a donor car for rear panels, etc)... and if I can, I'll also outsource a couple of things here and there to save some money as long as I'm not cutting corners...

If I can stay within our $75k budget, I think we'll be pretty satisfied, given that nearly everyone I've talked to has given me quotes over $100k... so we'll see... if you or anyone else has any experience that might help my situation out, I would greatly appreciate it!

BZ

Before you go out buying marginal used parts, you should be aware that a lot of high quality reproduction parts seem to be just coming on the market... check out these links:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,30067.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32741.0.html

http://www.beaparts.com/

http://www.autometaldirect.com/    (check out downloadable flyer)

http://www.pistolgrip727.com/

http://www.classicbodydesigns.com/

Oh... IF you do make a donor car out of an otherwise solid car... you better come up with a good cover story about were all the parts came from... or be ready for...  :flame: :nutkick: :flame: :nutkick: :flame: :nutkick: :flame: :nutkick: :flame:        :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just my  :Twocents:

Allen