News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Found this in upper drive train... What is it? - PIC

Started by pullrock, October 24, 2007, 05:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullrock

Charger Guys,

The car is a 1968 Dodge charger R/T 440.  Not sure what this is, found it when I pulled the valve covers.  There are many pieces under the intake in the valley.  I pulled the engine because it has a bad valve tick and was afraid of causing real damage.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

69bronzeT5

Not sure, its a fragment of something.....thats not good :o
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

no318

Looks like old hard broken pieces of umbrella valve stem seals.  Is it hard black rubber that almost feels like plastic?  They get hard, break and fall off and are washed back in the oil towards the pan.  Not the cause of your noise. 

73ChargerSE

Is it plastic or metal?  Could be your valve seals?

pullrock

Yes, it is like a very hard plastic.  How could I check to see if it is a "umbrella Valve stem seal"?

Thanks

Eric

RD

look at your heads, the umbrella seals are mounted around the valves, but inside the springs.  if some are missing or torn, there ya go.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

VPFD13

Yep valve seals I had a whole pan full of the in my first 440.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

To be born free man is an accident, to live as one a responsibility and to die as one an obligation

HITMAN 149

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on October 24, 2007, 06:05:01 PM
Not sure, its a fragment of something.....thats not good :o

yea... thats definitely something!!!!!!  :slap:

ya think!!!!!!!!!!!
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

pullrock

yep, that looks like what is was.  Would this cuase any damage do the engine if I would have kept driving it?

Eric CA

dukeboy_318

most likely, im new to rebuilding motors myself, but fragments of any type floating around inside the motor aint good, that much i know
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

no318

Quote from: pullrock on October 24, 2007, 11:44:45 PM
yep, that looks like what is was.  Would this cuase any damage do the engine if I would have kept driving it?

Eric CA
You would be amazed how many engine are running around with this floating in there.  It won't harm the engine, UNLESS enough of it gets down and plugs up the pick up for the oil pump.  I have seen  LOTS of engines with this or with the nylon timing gear teeth in the oil pick up that were still running fine and being used.  Obvuiosly you want to get all of it out while the engine is apart.

pullrock

Thanks everyone.  This is my numbers matching engine for my R/T so I will not take any chances.  It will be heading down to the engine builder to get freshed up.

Thanks again everyone!

Eric