News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dilemma

Started by Bob, October 23, 2007, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

Here I am in a good Federal job and was offered another job with HLS. My dilemma is, I love what I do and get a lot of gratification out of it. The new job pays more but starting over again at my age is something to think about. I know some of you young guns (except Twilt) think money money money, get it while you can and be miserable for years. I'm on the fence right now.
I guess some of you older guys may have a different approach to this.
Bob

RD

things to ask yourself:

1) how much of a lifestyle change will it cause you
2) do you have to move
3) how will it affect family members
4) is the job you are going to similar to, or related to your past job
5) what is your greatest fear?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

TeeWJay426

Guess it would depend on what your age is..... and if you are getting 'up there', as am I, a major consideration should be the retirement bennies between the two. Would also depend on how much longer you planned to work, and how much the pay increase gains you over that time period. The federal retirement program I would think would be pretty good- does the other one have a pension plan? How does it compare? Loving what you do has to be worth some intangible factor as well. Not sure if I helped or not- good luck with your decision either way!
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

moparstuart

do what will make you happiest        if you really like what your doing , stay
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

41husk

I teach high school and coach wrestling, many jobs would pay more, but I enjoy what I do, and thats more important than money to me. :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: Bob on October 23, 2007, 09:43:31 AM
Here I am in a good Federal job and was offered another job with HLS. My dilemma is, I love what I do and get a lot of gratification out of it. The new job pays more but starting over again at my age is something to think about. I know some of you young guns (except Twilt) think money money money, get it while you can and be miserable for years. I'm on the fence right now.
I guess some of you older guys may have a different approach to this.
Bob
Money isn't a long term motivator. Yes, at first it might make it worth putting up with lots that you don't like but after a while, you will hate the job, more money or not.

If you are satisfied with your current salary and love what you do, my advice is to stick where you are.

There are lots of miserable people out there, why volunteer to be part of the group?

Bob

Great questions and comments. First off, I don't need the retirement investment or health benefits. I'm not saying I'm filthy rich but my investments and other retirements do me good. The job would be in the same building but relocate 200 feet when the new building is done. I think by the comments that you are the older bunch and your replies make perfect sense. I think I will stay where I'm at and enjoy what I have built up. By the way I'm 48 and have a wonderfull wife to thank for securing our financial future.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Bob on October 23, 2007, 09:43:31 AM
I know some of you young guns (except Twilt) think money money money, get it while you can and be miserable for years. I'm on the fence right now.

:yesnod:

"In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women."
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

472 R/T SE

I made a career change when I was 31.  At the time it was great as my salary doubled.  With that came higher federal taxes and the neighboring state tax I worked in.  The more you make, the more they (you) take.  :shruggy:

Now being permanently disabled and retired the money is not there but enuf to get by.  I can't stress how important retirement $$ is but it sounds as though you have it covered.  Good for you.  I wish I would have been more diligent.  It sucks depending on my wife versus her working part time like she used to.

Bob

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on October 23, 2007, 02:18:32 PM
I made a career change when I was 31.  At the time it was great as my salary doubled.  With that came higher federal taxes and the neighboring state tax I worked in.  The more you make, the more they (you) take.  :shruggy:

Now being permanently disabled and retired the money is not there but enuf to get by.  I can't stress how important retirement $$ is but it sounds as though you have it covered.  Good for you.  I wish I would have been more diligent.  It sucks depending on my wife versus her working part time like she used to.
Thanks for sharing that 472 R/T SE.
I just spoke with my wife and I believe I am going to stay put. When changing jobs youv'e got to prove yourself all over again. Not to mention liveing up to you resume. :smilielol:
Anyway, thanks all.

Mean 318

i am with these guys... I love my job even tho the money isnt the best it still cant make me happy! Stay put! :2thumbs:

Tom_440

I'm 41.  Made the leap this year to another job for more $$$.  Didn't like it so I came back. No matter how much I make, it's nearly gone by the 1st and 15th anyway. Best to be happy!

Lowprofile

Quote from: Bob on October 23, 2007, 04:13:17 PM

I just spoke with my wife and I believe I am going to stay put. When changing jobs youv'e got to prove yourself all over again. Not to mention liveing up to you resume. :smilielol:
Anyway, thanks all.

Hey Bob........Looks like you knew the answer all along Bro.  :2thumbs:
And I agree with you about proving yourself all over again. That happens out here on tour all the time. The last "young gun" who questioned my abilities got an instant verbal smackdown. I told him that I had underware that has been on the job longer then him.  :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Bob

Quote from: Lowprofile on October 23, 2007, 06:05:53 PM
Quote from: Bob on October 23, 2007, 04:13:17 PM

Anyway, thanks all.

Hey Bob........Looks like you knew the answer all along Bro.  :2thumbs:
And I agree with you about proving yourself all over again. That happens out here on tour all the time. The last "young gun" who questioned my abilities got an instant verbal smackdown. I told him that I had underware that has been on the job longer then him.  :D

:smilielol: :smilielol: :rofl: :rofl:
Yea I kinda new the answer but whenever someone offers you more money you tend to want to jump in with both feet until you realize the water is deeper than you thought.
The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Bob

News Flash :o

Sent them an email and thanked them, but no thanks. I get a call, "What will it take to get you?", I give them an outrageous number and now there is messages on my phone to call them.  :smilielol:

Arthu®

If I may ask how big of a difference in jobs are we looking at?

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

TK73

I work for WA state unemployment and EVERY day I see paperwork from people who quit a good job for a new one and within weeks/months they are fired from the new job for "not fitting in" or "performance".

For me, the new place had better offer SIGNIFICANT incentives to leave.  Last Fed job I applied for would have been 10k raise right off the bat, 20k after a year and top out at 35k better than where I am.  that was tempting...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Bob

Quote from: Arthu® on October 24, 2007, 10:46:56 AM
If I may ask how big of a difference in jobs are we looking at?

Arthur

Arthu®

ok but I was more referring to the type of job you have to do. Is it basically the same job or would you have to do a whole different thing? Difference can be nice.

Bob

Quote from: Arthu® on October 24, 2007, 11:13:23 AM
ok but I was more referring to the type of job you have to do. Is it basically the same job or would you have to do a whole different thing? Difference can be nice.

Basicly the same job but less work. It's in the logistics field.

triple_green

Hi Bob,

I guess if if you enjoy where you are at you are already better off than 90% of the people out there. From what I know of you, you will be a huge asset where ever you work!

Congratulations on the opportunity!

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

RD

the question is, whose to say that you would not enjoy the new job just as much?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Bob

That's true RD. I know the people I will be working with and there is a great working relationship established already.

TK73

Besides... you're gonna get fired for being on Charger.com at work...  :rofl:
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Bob

Quote from: triple_green on October 24, 2007, 11:17:40 AM
Hi Bob,

I guess if if you enjoy where you are at you are already better off than 90% of the people out there. From what I know of you, you will be a huge asset where ever you work!

Congratulations on the opportunity!

3X

Thanks Mark.

RD

Quote from: Bob on October 24, 2007, 11:23:00 AM
That's true RD. I know the people I will be working with and there is a great working relationship established already.

bob, this is what i have seen:

1) the job is really similar (addresses interests, abilities, skills, and experience) with less work
2) 10K starting above what you currently make (more money equates more mopar toys)
3) you have a great working relationship with the people you may be working with (a plus)
4) its in the same building, so no increase commuter time/gas/etc. (you still get to see your former coworkers and still maintain good healthy relationships)

my question is this now, why haven't you accepted the offer?

Bob

Quote from: RD on October 24, 2007, 11:25:39 AM
Quote from: Bob on October 24, 2007, 11:23:00 AM

bob, this is what i have seen:

1) the job is really similar (addresses interests, abilities, skills, and experience) with less work
2) 10K starting above what you currently make (more money equates more mopar toys)
3) you have a great working relationship with the people you may be working with (a plus)
4) its in the same building, so no increase commuter time/gas/etc. (you still get to see your former coworkers and still maintain good healthy relationships)

my question is this now, why haven't you accepted the offer?

I'm thinking..........................................

Arthu®

I have to be with RD on this one... Especialy since you already know the people you are going to work with and the relationship is good.

Bob

I guess it's boiling to a no brainer.......Thanks all. :cheers:

moparstuart

Quote from: TK73 on October 24, 2007, 11:24:07 AM
i really hope my boss donent find out i'm on here all day

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Bob

:rofl: :rofl:

CaptMarvel

Its often quoted but really true when it comes down to the real meaning of life..."do what you enjoy" first, chances are you will be a success at it. My dad always told me to do what I liked because that was my best chance to succeed (with all the different meanings of that) My point, Ive been in a muni govt. job for 5 years now and I cant stand it...I owned a business for many years prior to that and to tell you the truth, at age 42, Im ready to go back at it on my own again because I really got something valuable out of self employment, now I feel like Im getting lazy and not as sharp as I once was and I do equate it to the surroundings Im in now.....Money is ok & benes are great, but they dont replace personel meaning for ones state of mind, got to consider family needs too etc......good luck!

Bob

Quote from: CaptMarvel on October 25, 2007, 08:27:21 AM
Its often quoted but really true when it comes down to the real meaning of life..."do what you enjoy" first, chances are you will be a success at it. My dad always told me to do what I liked because that was my best chance to succeed (with all the different meanings of that) My point, Ive been in a muni govt. job for 5 years now and I cant stand it...I owned a business for many years prior to that and to tell you the truth, at age 42, Im ready to go back at it on my own again because I really got something valuable out of self employment, now I feel like Im getting lazy and not as sharp as I once was and I do equate it to the surroundings Im in now.....Money is ok & benes are great, but they dont replace personel meaning for ones state of mind, got to consider family needs too etc......good luck!

Thanks CaptMarvel and good luck to you also.

Bob

Well, today is my last day here at this job. Monday I will start the in processing with the new job. Nervous? A little.

71ChallengeHer

Bob

The70RT

Quote from: moparstuart on October 24, 2007, 03:30:33 PM
    i really hope my boss donent find out i'm on here all day

Your boss won't see you unless you see yourself on the computer screen........or is it momma at home?  :laugh:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Arthu®

Good luck, hope all works out!

Arthur

Bob

Bob

Well, it's update time. It's been since mid November. I'm heading back to my old job with the Army. It was quite an experience and learned some things but not my cup of tea. I think I said early in the thread that money is not everything and the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Bob

bull

Quote from: Bob on January 11, 2008, 02:51:05 PM
Well, it's update time. It's been since mid November. I'm heading back to my old job with the Army. It was quite an experience and learned some things but not my cup of tea. I think I said early in the thread that money is not everything and the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Bob

Well, at least you can look back now and say you tried. It's better to have tried and failed than never to have tried.

RD

so true.. the real positive is that your old position is available... I am glad that you had the courage to at least try something different.  complacency and the inability to put yourself into challenging situations leads to stagnation.  you should be proud of yourself for what you just did.

good luck!  :2thumbs:

Bob

Quote from: bull on January 11, 2008, 03:41:18 PM
Quote from: Bob on January 11, 2008, 02:51:05 PM

Bob

Well, at least you can look back now and say you tried. It's better to have tried and failed than never to have tried.

Well, it became a bidding war actually. There was absolutely no challenge in the job. They could hire someone for half the price to do the job.

Bob

Quote from: RD on January 11, 2008, 04:08:25 PM
so true.. the real positive is that your old position is available... I am glad that you had the courage to at least try something different.  complacency and the inability to put yourself into challenging situations leads to stagnation.  you should be proud of yourself for what you just did.

good luck!  :2thumbs:
Thanks RD. You are 100% correct. There was no challenge at all. It was a routine and mundane job. They were saving me for a future project that would have utilized my logistical capabilities. I really thought about it and decided I could not wait a year for this to transpire.