News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reproduction VIN Plates?

Started by BobH1968, September 25, 2005, 03:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

Hey, I'm just jerking your chain a little. Makes people think.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

dkn1997

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 26, 2005, 04:11:55 PM
Chrysler, in their infinite wisdom, attached the all important vin plate to a removable item instead of the shell. What in the hell were they thinking?

Chrysler, GM, and Ford probably thought what everybody thought:  these cars will live for thier 80-100k mile and end up in a junk yard somewhere.  I doubt they considered that these cars would actually appreciate in value, thus creating a situation where people would be motivated to swap vin's etc.....
RECHRGED

hotrod98

I've thought the same thing. When I was in high school, I had a new 69 Chevelle SS396. As soon as I got it home, I started tearing stuff out and either threw it away or sold it cheap. My dad thought I was crazy. In 1976 I took the original 375 horse 396 out and put in a 454. We never dreamed that these cars would be around for the next 30 or 40 years. My buddy that crushed all of the Chargers cries himself to sleep almost every night.  :'(

Charles Addams

KMPX2

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on September 26, 2005, 12:22:41 AM
Quote from: KMPX2 on September 25, 2005, 10:49:27 PM
Repo vin tags will land you in jail real quick. Chrysler has stated that if it did become legal they will never give permission for anyone to do it

Just curious, when and where did they state this?

It was in one of the Mopar magazines some time ago. They did a story about a fake car & contacted DCX on there stand on the issue.

KMPX2

By law you may not remove a vin tag for any reason! I held a used car dealers license for some time. If found with a loose vin tag or the means to put it back on can mean jail time. Now we all know it is done all the time. It is hard to pick up a magazine & not find a car that did not have it done. But do you want to be the one that gets caught? You say it's my car & it's no big deal. Some day you will see that car & that person may find something wrong with the car and turn you in years later.

hotrod98

So let me get this straight.
It is illegal for anyone, anywhere to send a dash panel to be recovered if the vin plate is attached to it. The act of simply removing the dash from the car during restoration is in itself illegal since it entails the removal of the vin from the car and the subsequent replacement of the vin by reinstalling the dash. According to you we should all be in prison doing hard time. Next, you will tell me that we have all sinned and are doomed to automotive hell for eternity.

OMG, I just realized...who's going to tell the folks at Just Dashes that they're corrupting us all. Where does it all end?

Charles Addams

Troy

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 27, 2005, 04:02:27 PM
The act of simply removing the dash from the car during restoration is in itself illegal since it entails the removal of the vin from the car and the subsequent replacement of the vin by reinstalling the dash.

Tampering with the VIN itself is illegal everywhere that I've researched. I am not sure about how the law deals with removing the entire dash but, as I said before, check your local laws if you really want to know. It is entirely up to the state to prosecute someone so if they have no problem with it then you're safe I suppose. Opinions really don't count for much when facing jail time though... :P

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Nupe

It is illegal to remove them much less reproduce them!   :icon_smile_dead:

That is the double edged sword with repro parts:   on one hand it is nice for the honest people who need replacements or want to make a clone, but the repro parts make fakes and scamming that much easier.   :rotz:  

'79 Lil'Red Express.

BigBlockSam

and don't steal cable either.   :engel016:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Charles Addams

andy74

ah fuck- lets just all remove our vins,and go to jail!

hotrod98

Except for the Texans...death row there has an express lane. :flame:

Charles Addams