News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Slipping to the dark side

Started by 72chargerSE, October 21, 2007, 09:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72chargerSE

If you poke me , I bleed Chrysler Blue, BUT.... I am in the market for a C3 Corvette.

Kind of a "flip this Vette" thing, no emotional attachment. I will never sell the Charger! I know enough about Vette's to be dangerous, typical of the Mopar guy getting into Corvette's !!

I've loved Corvettes for 35 years, any red blooded American should own at least one, right??

I am currently bidding on one on Ebay. 76 L-48 4-speed.....wish me luck!

Mike

chargerboy69

I have owned a few C3 and C4 Vettes.

They are not bad cars. The C3 Vettes definatly lack balls under the hood. I had a 81 Vette that was beautiful, but that was all the car had, looks.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Chad L. Magee

72chargerSE-  I don't fault you for wanting a C3, since I own one myself in project form.  I picked up a 1970 Stingray off of ebay about three years ago (rough project on the cheap) and have been obtaining parts for it ever since.  I did it because I have always wanted one of the thirteen real Balwin-Motion Corvettes, but they are all spoken for and not for sale.  That being said, I am doing something the Corvette purists hate the most: making a customized clone of one of their supercars for my own use.  My plans have ticked off some of the local Corvette club members when I told them what I entend on doing with it.  It was not a "survivor" by any standard: missiong engine, interior, windshield, rear window, gas cap, all chrome trim, rear leaf spring, wrong # transmission (right year and type though), and with a Califonia salvage title (from a front end wreck).  It has no paint on the fiberglass at all right now.  The damage was fixed years ago but they used a 69 front end with 78 hood and doors replacing the orginal ones.  I am not complaning about the condition as I now have a cleaner slate to work with for what I want to do.  That project will be a drag car I want to use for a certain rod run against some chevy guys, after I beat them with some Mopar toys first.  That way I can say I beat them with their own brand and rub it in........
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

69charger2002

the C3 corvette is a sweet car. i have had a few of these and the 77-81 trans ams... many charger lovers like them(late 70's GM's) too. it must be the "swoopy" fender lines.. even if they are fiberglass.. now the boxy design-less C4..... now those are SICK and ugly..
good luck buying one... here's a pic of my red one it was awesome.. just your average feeling 350 but man did it get the looks.. i have to admit it was fun, but when i got wind of this 68 R/T i sold it and bought it instead.. obvious reasons..
trav

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

72chargerSE

I know.... L48 in 76 had 180HP NET, a good runnin' stock Neon would blow it's doors off. I would do the same thing I did with my Charger...it looks bone stock under the hood, but when you crank it over and it starts, there's somethin' rotten in Denmark!!

(My 72 Charger SE has a 451 Stroker  ;))

Red Ram

I have a 76 L-48 four speed C3. They are definately not slow. Beautiful car...just watch that front end when parking it close to someone, the front end is a mile long and you can't see it!
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

Bob

I also have a 76, red on red, 350 auto, runs very strong and will jump my Charger from the get go.

mikepmcs

I'm not much of a C-3 fan although I would most definitely take a 69 any day. I would never own a 75-77 and you can get them all day long for about $3-$6k. Lower in the Northeast.   GM really took a dive in these years of vette building IMHO.(yes the c-4 wasn't too good either)
I've owned 2 in my life and did like them both but they were later model vettes.

Any chance you could post the ebay ad so I can look at it. 

First off c-3's did rust(no, i'm not crazy)
Only ones that aren't prone to the serious rust are southern and west or a garage queen.  So i'd really find out the history of this one you are looking at.
75-77 has never been a positive topic in any conversation i've ever had with other vette owners.  Rear spring issues, not too mention slow(you were really screwed if you lived in california at the time)heavy frame rust just forward of the rear wheels(probably explains the spring issues), not to mention the front cross member(think serious front end problems with control arms and such), door frame rust and windshield pillars(if the floors are damp or wet, you most likely have problems)

In the pictures on ebay, check the door alignment and the gaps between the fender and door(that can also be a clue to cage rust)

Steel floor panels were also used on C3 cars from 1977 onwards.

Oh yeah, not to mention the cooling system is really lacking these years.  These cars overheated and they did it quite often.  If the car has any mods at all, the first one had better be a revamped way to keep the car cool.

here's a copy of an ad in my local trader I just now found:

1976 Chevy Corvette matching 350 auto, tilt and telescopic and steering, runs good. Has almost 83K mi. Selling the car as - is. cash talks. No lowball offers I do not know much about it except that I drive it. I drive it everyday, it runs well. It needs some underwork and a bumper cover. If you are looking for a cheap vette this is it. It is not a show car, but could be w/some work. $4500-Details-Southern Maine, ME

In the picture the vette looks good but what lies underneath is the kicker.

In conclusion, people give these cars away and I do not believe this is a car that i would buy just to flip because the margin is just not there and the potential for some serious headaches is there, due to this being on ebay. 

Just my .02 and in no way am I trying to put down anyone's ride on this or any other site.  I as well have liked vettes all my life.

If you want a c-3 please go look at it in person before you make your choice.
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Red Ram

Well in my opinion there's two kind of used Vettes. The one's that have been thrashed and abused (rusted? Who leaves a Corvette outside?)and those that have been babied. Definately hold out for one that's been babied. The 75-77 Vettes are starting to appriciate especially the nice one's. There are a lot of them on the market...they were some of the most popular Vette's ever produced.
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

mikepmcs

To get off subject a little,
I would say that has something to do with the gas crunch in the late 70's and people were buying foreign because our(United States) quality was really lacking then.
The diehards like myself that would still want something close to American muscle didn't have many other alternatives in these years to buy some quality iron so it would make sense that these were popular years.  Popular now IMO, because they are very affordable for anyone who wants to own a vette.
Popular or not the issues are still there with these vehicles and i'm just saying buyer beware and to get a look before you buy vice taking someone's word on ebay that you don't even know.
If you want a c-3, by all means, purchase one.  I was just stating my opinion to give a different view on the subject and to help make an educated decision.

For flippage factor of the shark years and still being affordable with room to make some cash, i would be looking at 1970- 74 due to having the LS option days.  they had some pretty powerful 454's as an option in 70 and 71.  Substantial drop in HP from 72-74 in the 454 but still a good start if you wanted to upgrade later IMO.

I say all this, 1969 not withstanding.  These are getting out of reach especially if you can find a ZL1. ;D

ok, i'm done.  good luck in your purchase whatever you decide.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

1972Rallye

Quote from: 72chargerSE on October 21, 2007, 09:09:11 PM
If you poke me , I bleed Chrysler Blue, BUT.... I am in the market for a C3 Corvette.
:poke:

Kind of a "flip this Vette" thing, no emotional attachment. I will never sell the Charger! I know enough about Vette's to be dangerous, typical of the Mopar guy getting into Corvette's !!

I've loved Corvettes for 35 years, any red blooded American should own at least one, right??

Mike

You make me sick!  :slap:  I fart in your general direction!  :fart2:  I wave my genitals at you.... :boogie:  You, you empty-headed animal food trough whopper!  :smilielol: 

Seriously, Mike... I know you've been a closet 'Vette guy  :slap: for a LONG time  ::) :rotz:.  That said, where are you going to put it?...  :shruggy:  You built a cocoon for the Charger to live in... The beautiful ladies in your life have the rest of the garage...  You plan on leaving it outside?  :spank:

I wish you luck on the auction... maybe (if you win) you'll actually drive this car! :smilielol:

I went overboard with the smilies  :icon_smile_big:  :callme:

68charger383

Watch the change from the light to the dark side....this guy went from the dark side to the light side and we all know his story!

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35083.0.html
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

TUFCAT

76? Hmmm,  it has a Vega steering wheel and no big block.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:   But - - it may be a bargain. Who am I to judge?  :icon_smile_wink:  Luckilly, I've had Okin spray the house ...to avoid getting the Corvette (or Trans Am) bug. :eek2: 

Bob

For what it's worth the 76, 4 speed was a low production. Good luck.
When it comes to cornering and road handling the Vette beats out my charger all the time. They are a blast to drive. I agree with the rust in the bird cage and rear frame but it's always buyer beware when your buying site unseen. My vega wheel and tilt teloscopic colum is worth 1k by itself. At least that what I was offered twice at Carlisle Corvettes :Twocents:.

Joshua

Mid 70's 'Vettes are plentiful in trailer parks.........

Rolling_Thunder

I love my charger - but i went for a ride in a 1970 vette with a warmed over 454 4-speed combo and it was flat out scary    :popcrn:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Bob

Quote from: Joshua on October 22, 2007, 01:44:26 PM
Mid 70's 'Vettes are plentiful in trailer parks.........
:smilielol:
That just means they are affordable. Ok, cheap.

TUFCAT

A far as C3's go, the 68-69's will always be my favorite, then I prefer the '73 Vettes with the soft front/hard rear bumper, and nicer side scallops ...plus you could still get a big block torque monster and convertible.

no ebay link?  :scratchchin:

hemihead

I've always owned and loved Mopar but the last Vette that actually looked good and had some nut was the 67. When they changed to the Makko Shark body it just started gaining weight.  :Twocents:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Paul G

C3's are moving up in price. They are old enough to be considered classics now. The Corvetteforum.com is probably the best place to find info on all Corvette generations. There is a for sale section there also. You can usually find a pretty good deal over there. There are tons of Corvette restoration parts outfits out there. Restoring any car will most likely put your investment way over the cars worth. Do it for the pleasure not the $$ gain. As always you would be better off finding one done or almost done.

Now if you want to take one of the slowest Corvettes ever made and update it with a brand new big HP drivetrain and C4 suspension and have a really hot old car you may be on to something.

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Rolling_Thunder

Dropping a LS2 and a 6 speed into a 70 vette...         :drool5:   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

72chargerSE

mikepmcs

now i'm confused....you always said it was the 180 HP motor and not the 210hp motor... what did i miss???
looks ok but notice there are no underneath pics....Indiana, hmmmmm just saying.

v/r
Mike

72chargerSE

You didn't miss a thing, I knew it was an L48 from the get go.

He's advertising it as an L82, but the VIN says something else.... L instead of X

72chargerSE

Quote from: 1972Rallye on October 22, 2007, 12:51:09 PM
:poke:

Mike

You make me sick!  :slap:  I fart in your general direction!  :fart2:  I wave my genitals at you.... :boogie:  You, you empty-headed animal food trough whopper!  :smilielol: 

Seriously, Mike... I know you've been a closet 'Vette guy  :slap: for a LONG time  ::) :rotz:.  That said, where are you going to put it?...  :shruggy:  You built a cocoon for the Charger to live in... The beautiful ladies in your life have the rest of the garage...  You plan on leaving it outside?  :spank:

I wish you luck on the auction... maybe (if you win) you'll actually drive this car! :smilielol:

I went overboard with the smilies  :icon_smile_big:  :callme:

BOBBY CALL ME AT RCO...I WORK IN HOUSE NOW, QUIT RECARO!