News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to get the best mini starter

Started by y3chargerrt, October 20, 2007, 11:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

y3chargerrt

Where would you recommend getting a good mini starter. I got one off on E bay a few years ago. It was a cheap one costing maybe $70.00.Its starting to have problems and I would like to get a higher quality one.I dont need a race car part because my compression is only 9.6:1.

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

chargerbr549

Usually the only thing that goes wrong with the mini-starters is the copper contacts and the plunger wear out and they don't make contact very well, since they are o-ring sealed and use bearings instead of bushings they will last for a long time. I have gotten the repair parts from an alternator and starter wharehouse and it was a Wilson brand product, the kit comes with two copper contacts and the plunger and they used to be in the 15 to 20 dollar range for price. Either take your starter in or get a number off of the starter and you should be good to go.

Kevin

y3chargerrt

The problem with my starter was the small connection for the solenoid.Its has a cheap rubber insulator to keep it from shorting.it was not tight in the housing and sometimes would short out.I reinstalled my original starter and I'm going to stay with that one. I didn't realize how much I missed the Mopar starter sound!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: y3chargerrt on October 20, 2007, 07:15:59 PM
The problem with my starter was the small connection for the solenoid.Its has a cheap rubber insulator to keep it from shorting.it was not tight in the housing and sometimes would short out.I reinstalled my original starter and I'm going to stay with that one. I didn't realize how much I missed the Mopar starter sound!

that sound IS awesome thats why mine has a standard starter too!!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

deputycrawford

Just buy a stock starter from an early 1990's B series van. They are all mini, high torque starters. With your exchange starter you might be talking $80 bucks?
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.