News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

should i look into a 66 charger?

Started by generalfan01, September 28, 2005, 04:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

generalfan01

hey guys, lookin in the want ad and theres 2 66 chargers, 1 with a 383 and one with a 318 both for 11,000, or each one for 6,000? is in my price range but i want a 69,do you guys think its a good investment to buy and then sell? thanks for any opinions, says they both need minor cosmetic work no pic

Charger_Fan

I'd make sure the seller forks over lots & lots of pics before I even halfway considered buying.

To me, the cars would have to be in pretty good condition to be worthy of the asking price.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

67_Dodge_Charger

I would pass unless both cars are drivers. 

Good Luck
Robert

Ghoste

The thing to remember with any first gen is that in spite of popular opinion, they are NOT a Coronet with a fastback.  There is precious little that interchanges between the two cars.  This means that for a great many parts, you are forced to look to parts cars among a series of car that was one of Dodge's lowest production vehicles.  Be forewarned, they can be one of the most difficult and expensive Mopars to restore.
By the same token, their saleablilty is limited for those very same reasons. 
That being said, they have a cultlike following that is extremely helpful with parts hunting and repairing the more difficult aspects of the car.  There are also a number of people beginning to backyard repro parts for these cars.  They are unique and a lot of fun and it is refreshing in a number of ways to pull into a show and have the only car there like yours.
I have been a 69 freak for a very long time and when I bought my 67, it was just because it was cheap.  The damn thing grew on me and I've had it longer than any other old car I've owned including my 69's. 

FastbackJon

I used to like second gens the most until I got a '66 to restore when I was 16 in 2000.

I fixed it up, then two years later in 2002 I got another '66, then about three months later I bought a '67, and a month after that I bought another '66.

A year later in late 2003 I started the '66/'67 Charger Registry.

Saying that they "grew on me" would be a major understatement.

After fixing them all up I sold two of the '66's to pay for college and kept the first '66 and my '67. I still have dad's '68 R/T but I like my '66 a lot more.

The plain and simple fact is that fastback Chargers don't need R/T emblems to be cool.

:icon_smile_big:

I think most importantly is buy one that is complete. Then you won't waste your time parts hunting and you can just swap out and refurbish parts as you go along.

I've cherried out my '66 to be a show stopper and kept my '67 in primer with all the exterior chrome removed, and a very nice interior so I can cruise around and still be able to treat it somewhat like a normal car.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

dodgeboy67

Quote from: Ghoste on September 28, 2005, 05:26:45 PM
The thing to remember with any first gen is that in spite of popular opinion, they are NOT a Coronet with a fastback. There is precious little that interchanges between the two cars. This means that for a great many parts, you are forced to look to parts cars among a series of car that was one of Dodge's lowest production vehicles. Be forewarned, they can be one of the most difficult and expensive Mopars to restore.
By the same token, their saleablilty is limited for those very same reasons.
That being said, they have a cultlike following that is extremely helpful with parts hunting and repairing the more difficult aspects of the car. There are also a number of people beginning to backyard repro parts for these cars. They are unique and a lot of fun and it is refreshing in a number of ways to pull into a show and have the only car there like yours.
I have been a 69 freak for a very long time and when I bought my 67, it was just because it was cheap. The damn thing grew on me and I've had it longer than any other old car I've owned including my 69's.

:iagree:.....we need more first gens around here....but those seem a lil pricey....maybe not if they run and arent all bondoed up....be careful

Headrope

Add to that the fact that not all parts are interchangable between the two years of the "first gen" Charger - primarily when it comes to interior and electrical stuff.

Finding parts can be difficult sometimes as the cars have been exposed to weather and teenage drivers for about 40 years. And there were - roughly - only 35,000 66's made; 15,000 '67s.

One of my favorite online resources for opinions and information about the first gen cars is www.66-67Charger.com. You might ask for opinions there too.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

bull

It wouldn't hurt to look into it, unless someone is in the process of slamming the door. ;D

Seriously, the first gens can be had for very reasonable prices and they have plenty of charm and power. Parts might be harder to find than the 2nd gens so I would try finding one that's complete.

6670charger

Ditto everything said earlier about these cars.  They are a wonderful car to have and restore.  I love the second gen cars, but, the 66 i have has really grown on me over the years.  I've had mine since 1988.  They are VERY expensive to restore correctly, so, finding one that is complete, or very close to it is really key.  They have a particular charm all their own.  Once you get hooked, it's hard to get unhooked.
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

dodgeboy67

what kind of project are you looking for?????are you building a show car? or a driver or a strip car?if you are looking to do a complete renovation, ive got a 67 shell ill part with for less than $600....ready to dip or blast......all panels except hood  are incuded, as are an extra qtr panel(all of which are very fixable....little rust)......very little rust in floors/none in trunk.....unibody is solid

generalfan01

it says in the add that these 2 cars are both compleate but they need MINOR body work, i dont know what minor is to him, i have to call and check it out, id be getting the more compleate and better running one, i prefer the 383. but if the 318 is more compleate then thats what i would go for, they are both autos. ill let yall know what happens,if you can post some pics espically Ghoste id like to see more of your car cause the color is awsome, same as fast back jon thanks guys

Ghoste

It's Turbine Bronze.  I didn't like it at first but it's something else that's been growing on me of late.