News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are the Grant "TUFF" wheels any good ?

Started by 71 Bee Man, October 19, 2007, 10:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 Bee Man

G'day guys,

thinking of buying a Grant Tuff wheel for my 71 Charger.

Are they any good, and does the adaptor kit look OK.....I have no idea about them living in Australia not having anything to use as a guide. Might order one off the net if concensus is good. Love to hear what your thoughts are - good or bad. In pictures they look just like the originals.

Thanks

Peter :2thumbs:
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

twilt

I`ve never cared for the Grant wheel. In my opinion it just looks cheap. The ridge in the foam is a dead give away.  If I was going to buy a repro wheel, I`d go with the other repro which is more  expensive and more accurate. 

71 Bee Man

So where do you get the other repro wheel from ?

Also, remembering that there's no-one else to compare my wheel to down here, does the Grant Tuff wheel look OK in general or is it just that they aren't exactly like the originals ?

peter
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :

twilt

When compared to an original, the Grant wheel is not the right size, spokes are not properly dished, spokes are painted instead of plated and the foam grip has a tell tale ridge in it, grip around spokes is different.  Its probably not fair to call the Grant wheel a repro. I dont think they made the wheel attempting to copy the Mopar wheel. I don`t like the fact that the spokes are painted. Thats cheap and cheesy. When I see a Grant wheel on a car......its screams to me......"my owner was too cheap to give me the best"  I would not use one of the the Grant install kits either. Getting a  original tuff wheel adapter/can looks so much better  You have a real nice car, why not put a real nice wheel on it?   
The higher quality repro wheels are sold in a couple Ebay stores. here is a link to one. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-Dodge-Plymouth-SHOW-Tuff-3-spoke-steering-wheel_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ140729QQihZ012QQitemZ220099363844QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

BrianShaughnessy

The 846 is fine.   You'll just have to deal with some 3rd gen owners attitudes   ::)
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Nacho-RT74

I'm agree with twilt on everything.

and yes, you have to deal with 3rd gen owners attitudes... oh, wait, you are also a 3rd gen owner LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Charger1970

Looks pretty good there Brian. Was the adapter kit OK or was it a pain it the butt?

That tach looks fantastic, also. :2thumbs:
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

charger Downunder

Peter have you looked at the Grant tuff wood grain wheel you might want to consider it?
Steve
[/quote]

71 Bee Man

Quote from: charger Downunder on October 20, 2007, 05:48:52 PM
Peter have you looked at the Grant tuff wood grain wheel you might want to consider it?
Steve

G'day Steve,

I've seen pics of the woodgrain one but have only ever really considered the Tuff wheel option.

I'm going to keep looking - it is good to get the varied opinions and reasons, isn't it ?

Peter

dkn1997

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on October 20, 2007, 08:56:31 AM

The 846 is fine.   You'll just have to deal with some 3rd gen owners attitudes   ::)

:iagree:

When I see a Grant wheel on a car......its screams to me......"my owner was too cheap to give me the best"  I would not use one of the the Grant install kits either. Getting a  original tuff wheel adapter/can looks so much better  You have a real nice car, why not put a real nice wheel on it?   

the key being "real nice car"  anyone with a "real nice car"  aka: points type car, would not even consider this wheel. for the rest of us, it's a choice, not "cheap"  why does a weekend cruiser need a 100% correct looking wheel?  how many chargers out there are bone stock even in appearance?  not many.  for those of us who just love the look of a tuff wheel, the grant is more than ok.  and you can take the extra 5 minutes to redrill the wheel to fit onto the factory tuff adapter.  looks close enough for most people.  and for most of us, close enough is good enough because we want to just put the damn thing on the road and have fun with it.
RECHRGED

Nacho-RT74

ok we must to make diff between REPRO tuff wheel and a NICE tuff wheel.

Repro must be accurate, don't you think ? that's the deal on repro parts.

The grant one is ok, but what I think is not right is calling as REPRO tuff wheel. Or call it as THE MOPAR TUFF WHEEL when is not. Is just an emulation
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

71 Bee Man

Quote from: dkn1997 on October 21, 2007, 09:10:17 AM

the key being "real nice car"  anyone with a "real nice car"  aka: points type car, would not even consider this wheel. for the rest of us, it's a choice, not "cheap"  why does a weekend cruiser need a 100% correct looking wheel?  how many chargers out there are bone stock even in appearance?  not many.  for those of us who just love the look of a tuff wheel, the grant is more than ok.  and you can take the extra 5 minutes to redrill the wheel to fit onto the factory tuff adapter.  looks close enough for most people.  and for most of us, close enough is good enough because we want to just put the damn thing on the road and have fun with it.

I kind of agree with this sentiment. Look at my case for example - I have my car because I love the look of it, and it's fun to drive. I like the fact it's actually a Superbee, but let's be honest.....here in Australia I'm not competing with anyone for authenticity because it's the ONLY one I've ever seen down here. I know there's a couple of others in the country, but I've never seen them.

So........should I care if the Grant wheel isn't 100% as per factory - I guess not. So long as it looks like I want it to look, and that is I wqant it to look like the original style Yuff wheels. As for it's quality, well I've never seen one up close so I don't know. What I do know is that if  I have to choose between spending $350 US for an old original one that's weathered, or $100 for the Grant one, then I'm probably going to lean toward the Grant one.

Mind you....I haven't decided yet. I do like having the right gear, it's just not paramount.

AKcharger

I put one in my '72 and I'm happy...that extra $200 can go to something more important. I used an original adapter and it fit right up, I do need to find the correct horn switch however.

And remember...it's only a 3rd Gen, who cares! Now had this been my '70 I would have bought it the best  :icon_smile_big:

twilt

Another good choice is to pick up a decent used Tuff Wheel. With the increased availability of more accurate reproductions, the price of decent used wheels has fallen a LOT over the last couple years. I usually keep 3 or 4 kicking around as extras. I actually prefer the post 74 Tuff wheels as they have a firmer grip.   

Nobody with an 846 needs to get their panties in a wad over my comments. The guy asked for opinions and I gave him mine.  :pity:

I like OEM Tuff wheels......I have one on all four Chargers and a couple spares to boot.  :lol:

69bronzeT5

What kinda wheel did they put in the General Lee from the 05 movie?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

71 Bee Man

Quote from: AKcharger on October 21, 2007, 05:06:34 PM
I put one in my '72 and I'm happy...that extra $200 can go to something more important. I used an original adapter and it fit right up, I do need to find the correct horn switch however.

And remember...it's only a 3rd Gen, who cares! Now had this been my '70 I would have bought it the best  :icon_smile_big:

:cheers: :smilielol: Ahhhh.....very nice "shot" at 3rd Gens - well done. But seriously, doesn't it worry you that every man and his dog seems to own a 68 - 70 Charger ?  :nana:

Bob

Quote from: 71 Bee Man on October 21, 2007, 11:41:07 PM
Quote from: AKcharger on October 21, 2007, 05:06:34 PM

:cheers: :smilielol: Ahhhh.....very nice "shot" at 3rd Gens - well done. But seriously, doesn't it worry you that every man and his dog seems to own a 68 - 70 Charger ?  :nana:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Charger1970 on October 20, 2007, 02:05:31 PM
Looks pretty good there Brian. Was the adapter kit OK or was it a pain it the butt?

That tach looks fantastic, also. :2thumbs:

Adapter kit is no big deal.   Changing a wheel is no big deal if you have a puller in the tool box.  Any $15 harmonic balancer kit from the chinese tool vendor at the swap meet will work.

Tuff's weren't available on 2nd gens anyway so it doesn't matter what I do.   This is just very easy and better for me than the original Queen Mary wheels.   The 860 was a bit hard and kinda small.   This 846 is just a tad larger and feels just right to me.   Wheras the 860 had painted spokes,  the 846 is nickel chrome.   I've only had 1 guy that actually knew his stuff comment on the 846 and that was about the horn button.     Most people don't know. 

Good old Tuff's are hard to find and most aren't worth the coin when the foam is crumbling and falling off.   Leave those for the 3rd gen connaisseur.   

I might get off my ass and put on my cherry wood pistol grip my friend gave me and after that I might be tempted to put on the Grant 246 wood Tuff.   For all I know right now I might put that on a chrome XV tilt column  :yesnod: 

That's a Restorations by Julius tach.  VDO guts.  Dead nuts accurate.   No tic toc clock to block the view  :2thumbs:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

BMOTOXSTAR

I put a Grant Tuff Wheel on my 73' Rally Charger and all I get is compliments at the car cruises & shows. I think it is great,  I love mine. :Twocents:
I do not have a concourse show car so I really do not give a f--- about what ridges and plating should be like to look exact. I drive my car and it looks fine on mine. :Twocents:
  If you are looking at my wheel that close at a show or cruise to tell it is a re-pop then all I have to say to you is, Back Off My Grill. :smilielol:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT