News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My ebay nightmare and the link, not planning on payment from seller

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 18, 2007, 09:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on October 19, 2007, 06:11:07 PM
Yeah, I second that!  It's a really great looking Charger!!!  I'm also very impressed with your positive attitude and composure during the brief ownership experience you've had.  It's been a downer for you and the family, when it should have brought you all the enjoyment you've expected!  How you managed to pull it all together shows a lot of class with such a big investment.  You obviously have a very understanding wife  -  :cheers: Cheers to good wives!

Thanks, it's not been easy at all, it was a bubble burster by all means, but I was so intent on cleaning up all the things that bothered me, and I swear, I swear, I put a smile on my face of wow, hard work payed off, and then I drove around the corner, and the rod blew.  It's almost funny.  I take it as another challenge, and so tomorrow the motor will be out, Sunday the 69 440 block will be here, and we will just keep plugging away.   Great wife support helps, her support is, come home form work, stay and be with the kids until the little one goes to bed at 7:00, and then go out to the garage.   You know the most amazing thing of all of this is?  The little one actually goes to bed at 7:00!  :2thumbs: Drives the neighbor nuts, their kid is the same age and stays up all night, drives them crazy.  My kid will be over their yard playing with their kid, and I come over, "come on, bed time 7:00 lets go".  The Sun is out, birds a chirppin, and he goes o.k, and he's out in 5.  Now that's something to brag about!   Isn't family life great?  Thanks again for all your great comments, I really mean it, were a great Charger family.  A lot of the positive attidude goes to this site, I started out stressed and a bunch of you put me on the right positive path, and I thank you.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

68chrgrwife

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 19, 2007, 08:40:04 PM
Yeah, I second that!  It's a really great looking Charger!!!  I'm also very impressed with your positive attitude and composure during the brief ownership experience you've had.  It's been a downer for you and the family, when it should have brought you all the enjoyment you've expected!  How you managed to pull it all together shows a lot of class with such a big investment.  You obviously have a very understanding wife  -  :cheers: Cheers to good wives!

Thanks, it's not been easy at all, it was a bubble burster by all means, but I was so intent on cleaning up all the things that bothered me, and I swear, I swear, I put a smile on my face of wow, hard work payed off, and then I drove around the corner, and the rod blew.  It's almost funny.  I take it as another challenge, and so tomorrow the motor will be out, Sunday the 69 440 block will be here, and we will just keep plugging away.   Great wife support helps, her support is, come home form work, stay and be with the kids until the little one goes to bed at 7:00, and then go out to the garage.   You know the most amazing thing of all of this is?  The little one actually goes to bed at 7:00!  :2thumbs: Drives the neighbor nuts, their kid is the same age and stays up all night, drives them crazy.  My kid will be over their yard playing with their kid, and I come over, "come on, bed time 7:00 lets go".  The Sun is out, birds a chirppin, and he goes o.k, and he's out in 5.  Now that's something to brag about!   Isn't family life great?  Thanks again for all your great comments, I really mean it, were a great Charger family.  A lot of the positive attidude goes to this site, I started out stressed and a bunch of you put me on the right positive path, and I thank you.

How old is your little one?  I have three and we put them down at 7:30 and it also drives the neighbors nuts..but because they think it is too early to put them down and bitch 'cause their kids ahve no one to play with.  LOL
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

bull

I've seen several people ask but I haven't seen an answer... is it an R/T or not? Does it have an XS VIN that matches the other stamped areas?

Anayway, I wouldn't worry too much about all this, especially if you get some money back. The car looks very nice, it's got some issues but I think the price (even with a blown engine) is pretty good. In fact I think if you put that thing on Ebay right now, announce that the fender tag is BS and it's got a grenaded engine you'd probably still get $29k for it. If it's really an R/T SE and if it had a correct fender tag and a running engine and all the small things were corrected it'd probably be a $50k-$60k car.

Steve P.

My answer is simple. You have a fantastic car and were happy to pay the price. It sucks that the tag is not correct and original, but,,, like you said, you didn't pay a billion for it.

I have a buddy in Vegas that has more than $250,000.00 in his matching numbers 69' Charger R/T. He took first place in "B" body, modified at the 2005' Mopars At The Strip in Vegas. He paid a ton to buy it and then did a 3-5 year, (I forget now), restoration and modification. All total he has more than $1/4 mil. in it. He drives the car most days and drives it like he stole it...   I think you did good..... 

From here out I would go ahead with tracking down the old owners and find out everything you can. Drive it and love it.  These cars are to enjoy, so GO BURN THE TIRES OFF THAT BASTARD AND ENJOY IT...  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

1969chargerrtse

Hi Guys (and girl).  Well, I pulled her out.  Man O man, when the motor was tilted back, antifreeze came out of the spark plug holes.  Made me wonder if a head gasket or head went and the rod couldn't compress the water?  I'll show pics when I pull it apart tomorrow.  Thanks so much for your support.  I really mean it, it's great to have people support and push you ahead. :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on October 20, 2007, 10:02:02 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 19, 2007, 08:40:04 PM

Thanks, it's not been easy at all, it was a bubble burster by all means, but I was so intent on cleaning up all the things that bothered me, and I swear, I swear, I put a smile on my face of wow, hard work payed off, and then I drove around the corner, and the rod blew.  It's almost funny.  I take it as another challenge, and so tomorrow the motor will be out, Sunday the 69 440 block will be here, and we will just keep plugging away.   Great wife support helps, her support is, come home form work, stay and be with the kids until the little one goes to bed at 7:00, and then go out to the garage.   You know the most amazing thing of all of this is?  The little one actually goes to bed at 7:00!  :2thumbs: Drives the neighbor nuts, their kid is the same age and stays up all night, drives them crazy.  My kid will be over their yard playing with their kid, and I come over, "come on, bed time 7:00 lets go".  The Sun is out, birds a chirppin, and he goes o.k, and he's out in 5.  Now that's something to brag about!   Isn't family life great?  Thanks again for all your great comments, I really mean it, were a great Charger family.  A lot of the positive attitude goes to this site, I started out stressed and a bunch of you put me on the right positive path, and I thank you.

How old is your little one?  I have three and we put them down at 7:30 and it also drives the neighbors nuts..but because they think it is too early to put them down and bitch 'cause their kids have no one to play with.  LOL

Hi, he is 4 in Dec.   Is that sick or what, blows my mind that at 7:00 the kid goes to sleep.  We were told and had thought he was autistic.  My wife went to bed Evey night in tears for him.  She read everything she could find about autism and joined sites and got him all the help she could.  He has grown so much!  We spent a lot to find out he had a communcation disorder.  He just couldn't process words.  He is doing great and tells us about his day at school.  The poor little guy has been in school since 2 years old, but it's working and he is such a joy.  Thanks for asking.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bull on October 20, 2007, 10:53:03 AM
I've seen several people ask but I haven't seen an answer... is it an R/T or not? Does it have an XS VIN that matches the other stamped areas?

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about all this, especially if you get some money back. The car looks very nice, it's got some issues but I think the price (even with a blown engine) is pretty good. In fact I think if you put that thing on Ebay right now, announce that the fender tag is BS and it's got a grenaded engine you'd probably still get $29k for it. If it's really an R/T SE and if it had a correct fender tag and a running engine and all the small things were corrected it'd probably be a $50k-$60k car.

Wow!! :drool5:  thanks for that thought.  I gotta tell ya.  I am so dedicated to this fulfilled dream.  It doesn't matter to me to much to lose sleep over.  My friend that came over tonight to help pull the engine said, Wow, I see why you bought this car!  He loved it.  This car was my dream car, it's hear to stay no matter what the market does to it.  By spring time it will have a 69 440 motor, correct exhaust manifolds  ( I have them ) and detailed sweet.   Oh, I wrote several times that its a real RTSE.  read back, you'll find it. It's XS29 and matches on the radiator support.  That was one of the few things I checked into before payment.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Steve P. on October 20, 2007, 01:49:22 PM
My answer is simple. You have a fantastic car and were happy to pay the price. It sucks that the tag is not correct and original, but,,, like you said, you didn't pay a billion for it.

I have a buddy in Vegas that has more than $250,000.00 in his matching numbers 69' Charger R/T. He took first place in "B" body, modified at the 2005' Mopars At The Strip in Vegas. He paid a ton to buy it and then did a 3-5 year, (I forget now), restoration and modification. All total he has more than $1/4 mil. in it. He drives the car most days and drives it like he stole it...   I think you did good..... 

From here out I would go ahead with tracking down the old owners and find out everything you can. Drive it and love it.  These cars are to enjoy, so GO BURN THE TIRES OFF THAT BASTARD AND ENJOY IT...  :2thumbs:

You know whats funny?  When I first started on this site, the old timers ripped me a new butt hole.  Now I'm getting great support.  I think it's because I changed my attitude, man they were eating me alive before.  Thanks for the kind words.  Means a lot to me.  Today was a bad day, the wife borrowed my work truck and hit a car in a lot.  Not a happy homestead with this car and it's issues and then that. Lord help me. ::)

70charger_boy

Steve P.

Hey, as long as she is all right it's all good... :cheers:  Now go give her a kiss and a little support.   :D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

The70RT

Wow.  Like they say sometimes "when it rains it pours".Good luck on the rebuild......wish that's all I had to do. Sorry about the  :slap: when you first posted & before I recommended the title change. :icon_smile_big:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Steve P. on October 20, 2007, 08:12:00 PM
Hey, as long as she is all right it's all good... :cheers:  Now go give her a kiss and a little support.   :D

Were cool, but I'm layig low. :coolgleamA:

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Why, there's no engine in it? Well, I was holding off on that, but O.K  I don't wanna hear any cracks on the board.  Thats they way we do it up here in the woods of CT.  I'll tie it up tomorrow.  Needs lots of detail.  Looks like the paint guy got the paint gun trigger stuck and sprayed everywhere.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 20, 2007, 08:10:48 PM
:o  Ahhh, The good ole rod through the engine block trick

Funny thing is, I don't see no rod through the block?  I'll flip her over tomorrow and repost ugly pictures.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 20, 2007, 08:26:18 PM
Why, there's no engine in it? Well, I was holding off on that, but O.K  I don't wanna hear any cracks on the board.  Thats they way we do it up here in the woods of CT.  I'll tie it up tomorrow.  Needs lots of detail.  Looks like the paint guy got the paint gun trigger stuck and sprayed everywhere.
you mean the k frame? or what its probably the pic but ive seen ALOT worse!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on October 20, 2007, 08:28:53 PM

Oh no big deal, areas like the brake lines, some wires, gromments, etc.. Not a biggy, I'll go in with cleaner, respray, buff up, whatever it takes.  Typical engine compartment clean up.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 20, 2007, 08:38:03 PM

Oh no big deal, areas like the brake lines, some wires, gromments, etc.. Not a biggy, I'll go in with cleaner, respray, buff up, whatever it takes.  Typical engine compartment clean up.

make sure to paint them fender bolts while youre there! (big pet pieve of mine)

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on October 20, 2007, 08:40:04 PM

Oh man, I just put those on.  There were allen head bolts there. O.k  Paid 120.00 for a bolt kit.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 20, 2007, 08:43:45 PM

Oh man, I just put those on.  There were allen head bolts there. O.k  Paid 120.00 for a bolt kit.

they are still supposed to be body color.

1969chargerrtse

You guys are not going to believe this!  I just got an email from the past owner, I wrote him twice, the last one stating I'm leaving feedback soon, did you send the amount we agreed on?  No way did I think it was coming as he never responded.  He just wrote me saying he just got my email and sent the funds, but remember CA is a long way away.  Oh my GOD, I hope he is true.  I am flat broke busted.   That would really be a big help.  Wish me luck, I would love to put this behind me.   :laugh:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on October 20, 2007, 08:45:13 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 20, 2007, 08:43:45 PM

they are still supposed to be body color.
I know, it's on the long list.

hemi-hampton

I say you ask yourself this Question, Lets say that car is a real RT/SE & a solid rustfree California car with all original body panels. And lets say the only differance was the Auction said it had no fender tag because it was lost. Would you still have bought that Car anyways? If so forget the Tag. Also, Owning a Rustfree all original California car myself & restoring cars for a living, nowadays it would cost you more then $30,000 to replace all that metal & restore a car like that, & once done it still wont look as good as original in my opinion with all the factory spotwelds gone & mega welds & bondo hiding under nice new paint. I say some fine details corrected & you got a nice car & nice deal, Enjoy. Hope you got a HP Block to replace the non HP block? Good luck. LEON. :Twocents:

1969chargerrtse

Thats a tuff call, because absolutely I would of paid less with no tag, but then a again he had buy it now and I probably wouldn't of wanted to lose it.  Who knows?  He claims he mailed out 2 grad back, if I actually see it, I'm cool.  :coolgleamA: The block I have is a steel crank 350 hp block from 11/68 the same month the car was made.  I have the original heads and I'll add the cam.  Did all blocks have HP on them?

1969chargerrtse

Here's the picture of the rod, and a piston missing a rod.  The rod is shaped like the letter U.  Man that gotta hurt. :eek2: