News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel chair access

Started by hemi68charger, October 19, 2007, 06:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang...
As some of ya'll know, I'm having a house built because we have to move. The move is because I've brought in my Mom to take care of her... She'll be with us probably for good... In an attempt to plan for the future, I'm having her bathroom door widened in the event that one day she'll need to use a wheel chair. For any of you with experience, will a 2'8" (32") be wide enough?

Thanks..
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

draftingmonkey

ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act says that doorways need a minimum clear opening of 32".  So you should be fine if you have a full swing door (180 degrees)  If it will only open 90 degrees you may want to go up to 36" as this will give more manuevering room.  Have you also taken into consideration future access ramps exterior to the house.  You may also want to consider installing handicap railings in the bathroom,especially in the shower or tub/shower combo, depending which you install.

hemi68charger

Yo Monkey..
I'll surely ask...... Thanks for the input !!!!!  That totally makes sense about the door opening at a 180 degree radius...

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

BigBlackDodge

In some cases a pocket door might help with door swing issues.

BBD

hemi68charger

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on October 19, 2007, 07:49:26 AM

BBD

That was our first thought for we upgraded/change put a lot of pocket doors throughout the house. but, this particular door really doesn't have enough space either side for a pocket door... Too bad, for that would have been perfect...
Troy

472 R/T SE

Of all the forums you've come to the right place Troy.  :icon_smile_wink:

My suggestion would be to somehow measure your mom's backside so you know how wide of a chair she'll need.  As you know the wider the butt, the wider the chair.  There's a couple rooms I still can't get into.  Not because I have a large arse either.  In our whole house there's only one room that we could use a pocket door.  What about her bathroom?  Will you address other parts of the home?

Maybe pick up a set of these.  They give more room to get in and out.
http://www.allegromedical.com/daily-living-aids-c519/swinging-door-hinge-offset-door-hinges-w-brass-finish-p191898.html

hemi68charger

I knew you would contribute Mike..

I've made sure her bedroom door is wide-enough.. The rest of the house is accessible and ok.. She's not there yet, I'm just playing devil's advocate for the future.. She's pretty slim, so width shouldn't be a problem..

Thanks for the input and hinge suggestion......

back to my class.....

Troy
Troy

Steve P.

From someone who has spent some time in a wheelchair, I think the best thing to do is plan big. I have been in many homes that are supposedly (wheelchair accessible). Yeah right. Maybe on a no thought plan...  I highly recommend that you visit some high end wheelchair homes. Making sure you are looking to the future. You know, the day may just come when you want to sell this home and the better the layout in a special needs home the better all around.

Also look make plans now for the ability to change or move your plumbing in the bathroom. You can't wash your hands with a full vanity. Also you may consider putting in a roll in shower. These are big around me. It's a large shower stall that has a floor just an inch or two below the main floor. This helps keep the water in the shower and keeps the ramp length short. Make sure the shower is deep and long to be able to change chairs.

A hand held shower wand is a must. Being able to easily control the shower is also a must. Also plan on a NO SCOLD valve.

I think I see things differently now than I would have never being in a chair. Maybe even go to a place that has plenty of w-chairs and get in one. Go into rooms and bathrooms and see where you have trouble and not. Also keep in mind that ALL doorways and openings need to be plenty wide to maneuver around the house.

Having to be taken care of is depressing enough. Being able to do anything on your own is a step up..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

68chrgrwife

wow, that is depressing me.  One day I will be wheelchari bound and to read all the stuff I might go thru......... :'(
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

hemi68charger

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on October 19, 2007, 01:05:28 PM
wow, that is depressing me.  One day I will be wheelchari bound and to read all the stuff I might go thru......... :'(

make sure you're nice to the lil' one you're holding there, she may have to take care of you one day.......
Troy

dkn1997

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 19, 2007, 08:16:18 AM
Quote from: BigBlackDodge on October 19, 2007, 07:49:26 AM

BBD

That was our first thought for we upgraded/change put a lot of pocket doors throughout the house. but, this particular door really doesn't have enough space either side for a pocket door... Too bad, for that would have been perfect...

what about two small pocket doors that meet in the middle?
RECHRGED

68chrgrwife

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 19, 2007, 02:06:56 PM
Quote from: 68chrgrwife on October 19, 2007, 01:05:28 PM

make sure you're nice to the lil' one you're holding there, she may have to take care of you one day.......

Thanks..I'll have to remember that...although she is the youngest of three......
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

Steve P.

It sounds like you are planning to be in a chair. What's up with that??  If you know you have a problem you need to start working against it now..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

68chrgrwife

Quote from: Steve P. on October 19, 2007, 05:09:33 PM
It sounds like you are planning to be in a chair. What's up with that??  If you know you have a problem you need to start working against it now..

I have MS there is not much I can do to stop it....there is no cure or good outlook yet.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

Steve P.

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on October 19, 2007, 05:11:44 PM

I have MS there is not much I can do to stop it....there is no cure or good outlook yet.

Yes, there are things you can do. One is to not stop doing anything you like to do. Two is work out often. Not too much, just often.

My wife has MS also. She is one that is giving up. Not in a chair yet, but not ever doing anything.. Live is too short to give up.. Don't do it........
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

68chrgrwife

Quote from: Steve P. on October 19, 2007, 05:15:02 PM

Yes, there are things you can do. One is to not stop doing anything you like to do. Two is work out often. Not too much, just often.

My wife has MS also. She is one that is giving up. Not in a chair yet, but not ever doing anything.. Live is too short to give up.. Don't do it........

I am staying positive and I do continue to keep moving...my aunt has had it for 10 years and so she has given me tons of advice.  I have been getting progressively worse the last few months..Need a cane more and more when I am out and now even in the house!  My aunt did well for the first few years, but is wheelchair bound now...Just thinking ahead though so there are no surprises.  I am very early on in my diagnosis so the haven't started me on the meds...I only have 1 clinical episode to prove MS, so the insurance won't allow me to be "diagnosed"---IDIOTS.  I also have had a few mini strokes, so my prognosis is not good according to my Neurologist.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

70charger_boy

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on October 19, 2007, 05:37:22 PM
Quote from: Steve P. on October 19, 2007, 05:15:02 PM

I am staying positive and I do continue to keep moving...my aunt has had it for 10 years and so she has given me tons of advice.  I have been getting progressively worse the last few months..Need a cane more and more when I am out and now even in the house!  My aunt did well for the first few years, but is wheelchair bound now...Just thinking ahead though so there are no surprises.  I am very early on in my diagnosis so the haven't started me on the meds...I only have 1 clinical episode to prove MS, so the insurance won't allow me to be "diagnosed"---IDIOTS.  I also have had a few mini strokes, so my prognosis is not good according to my Neurologist.

I don't usually pray, but I will say one for you.  Either way, we'll keep ;ovin' you

68chrgrwife

Thanks....now back to the show....
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER