News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Would this engine swap be a problem?

Started by Mo Power, October 18, 2007, 08:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo Power

Ok well I'll hopefully will soon be getting a loan for the charger and buying a few parts and a 78 Dodge Ram with a 360 that I want. And all I was going to do is swap out the 318 in the charger right now and put in the Ram and 360 in the Charger. So I was just wondering would it difficult for a beginner like me to take on something like this?The Dodge Ram has 4 wheel drive and I'm fairly certain it has a 727 which I wanted in the Charger.And mine has a 904 which I was just going to keep with the 318. And I was wondering what rearend 78 Rams has was it a 8 3/4,because I would like to see if I could put that rearend in the Charger but it looks alot bigger then the 8.25 that I have. Any advice before I'm positive on buying this Ram so I don't have any surprises would be great.
1973 Charger SE
1972 Roadrunner-1 of 34 power sunroofs                                
          Crazy colors, Wacky decals, and Massive engines
                      That's what Mopars alll about

The70RT

The 360 will fit. Just swap all the outside acc.,mounts manifolds componets etc. I would change the intake so you can retain all the correct parts and will be easier to make everything connect and work right and look original. The trans. won't work unless you change the tailshaft since it has the transfercase connected to it. You would need a diff. driveshaft or that one made to fit. If you stay with the 904 it will bolt right up to the 360 anyway. As far as the rearend It probably would be easier to find a housing specific to your car. The 8-3/4 jug may be a posi on the truck and would benefit you if you get a housing.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

UFO

The rams rear might be a 9 1/4.Does it have a bolt on cover at the back?
This is what it says in the Mopar chassis book."The 340 and 360 can be installed in the 66-69 B-bodies by using the 318 K member,insulators, and left side bracket PN2536125(318bracket) and the 340 right side bracket PN3418400".

chargerbr549

One other area you need to look out for is the oil pans won't interchange between 318's and 360's and the car has a center sump and the pick-up has a rear sump so you will have to find the right oil pans to make it work.

Kevin

Plumcrazy

You will also need an externally balanced torque converter or a flex plate that has weights on it to balance the engine correctly.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Mo Power

Well mine is a 73 so should I have any problem of it fitting in? And yes the rearend had a bolt off back plate so it probabely was a 9.25. And so I need to just find different type of oil pan because they are setup different and anything else?So why is it that a need a different flex plate just because it's going into a different size of vechicle?Will the the engine mounts on the 360 hook up to my k member just fine?My Charger was orginally a 400 and I need engine mounts for the 318 because they are sagging and crushing my power sterring. So I guess putting in that trucks rearend is out of the question :smilielol:.
1973 Charger SE

dukeboy_318

reason for the flex plate is because the 360 is externally balanced meaning that it gets its balance from the torque converter or flexplate.  a 318 is interally balance thus by using the 318s trans, you will need a balanced flexplate, B&M makes one that just bolts on for pretty cheap.  If your charger orginally had a 400, then you will need to get a set of conversion mounts to convert it to a small block(unless this has been done already???)  you could reuse your rearend youve got now, maybe beef it up a little but itll hold for a while on a pretty much stock 360. 
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

UFO

You have a 73?? Must be that old age kicking in,I was sure I read '69.I'll go back to the chassis book and see if it gives any useful info.

UFO

From what I understand is you need a insulator from a B-body 340 or 360 for one side.According to the list the part numbers are the same from '73-'75.
I would measure the distance between the mount lugs on the block to confirm.
The '78 truck will likely need a different mount on one side as well.

Mo Power

Well this 360 is not a stock one my cousin rebuilt this when he was in college and put I think 2,000 into. And I'm fairly sure it's bored .30 over with high performance cams and pistons.It has edelbrock intake and 600 cfm carb. And well what could I do to upgrade my rearend because I want bigger gear ratio and would I be better off getting a 8 3/4? But does it make much of a difference of what rearend even if the 8.25 is smaller? Also so what mounts do I need to have 360 put into the Charger which I know I'm looking for sb ones. And what coversion are you talking about dukeboy because you lost me and wouldn't it already be done since a 318 is in it already?
1973 Charger SE

The70RT

Quote from: Mo Power on October 21, 2007, 11:49:32 AM
Well this 360 is not a stock one my cousin rebuilt this when he was in college and put I think 2,000 into. And I'm fairly sure it's bored .30 over with high performance cams and pistons.It has edelbrock intake and 600 cfm carb. And well what could I do to upgrade my rearend because I want bigger gear ratio and would I be better off getting a 8 3/4? But does it make much of a difference of what rearend even if the 8.25 is smaller? Also so what mounts do I need to have 360 put into the Charger which I know I'm looking for sb ones. And what coversion are you talking about dukeboy because you lost me and wouldn't it already be done since a 318 is in it already?

I would look for a 8-3/4 and put money in it. The one you have will last a while if you don't abuse it. I would think the mounts you have now would change over? I use to deal mainly in Dart and Dusters but should be the same principle unless the truck block has different mounting ears??? If your going to use the 360 I would just pull the engine and start comparing to be for sure, and buy then if you need to.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Todd Wilson

Sounds to me like you should just leave both vehicles alone and drive them.  You are opening up a big can of worms by swapping engines and trannys around.

Todd

dukeboy_318

Quote from: Mo Power on October 21, 2007, 11:49:32 AM

THe conversion im talking about is in the mounts, big block to small block conversion mounts. it might have had the converision mounts put in or a k frame swap but youd have to talk to the guy who done it to be sure.  if not pm me some pics and of it in there now and well look and see if we can tell. heres a link for the mounts
http://engine-swaps.com/ 
the other option is to just switch to a small block k member, which if you do go that route, pm me cause ive got one cheap,  anyway  the converision will help get the engine and transmission to factory mounting specs on the angles and itd be better for the long run.The main difference between the 8.25 and the 8.75 is that the 8.25 is weaker and cant handle the amount of torgue that a powerful engine makes.  while it will work for a while, depending on your driving style, if you plan to cruise, you'll be fine, if you hit the dragstrip, then you should upgrade to the 8.75.  hope this helps. 

Mo Power

Ya thanks and ya I don't think a 8.25 because I was going to take it to the strip once and while lol. But ya I'll see if I can take pictures of it and post them up for here to see what I need.
1973 Charger SE

Mo Power

Well I don't know if this helps ya dukeboy I didn't know if you needed a pic of the k member itself or just a pic of one of the mounts.Just tell me if you need a better picture.
1973 Charger SE

dukeboy_318

ill get a picture of mine so that we can compare check back on thursday, will have it posted

dukeboy_318

sorry its been storming like crazy here so i havent been able to roll the car out of the barn to get better pics.  will do that this afternoon if it lets up.  try  going to schmaucers and getting the bb to sb mounts for that year car, makes it sooo much easier