News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440/4-Speed Problem

Started by 440fan, October 18, 2007, 12:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

440fan

Hey guys,

I have had a grumbling/gravel type sound since purchase, so not sure if it is normal. I know theseĀ  440-4 speed cars make a lot of noise when you accelerate and I am just wondering if you can help me out. When I accelerate hard from a start and go through the shifts, I get a loud deep grumble/rattling/gravel sound-does not really sound like it is metal on metal- it sounds like it is coming from what I think is either the engine or the tranny. Was thinking maybe the engine mounts or loose exhaust but those seem OK. Maybe a bushing bit the dust? When I accelerate through all the gears at under 2500 rpm it sounds great-really smooth. I only really get the sound when I really step on it or get above the 3000 rpm range. I have talked to a few guys that have had Mopars and they say these trannys put out a lot of sounds but this is not right. The exhaust looks tight and not rubbing anywhere. I heard a loose manifold could cause a bad rattling sound but they feel tight. There looks like a valve or metal flap on the passenger side manifold/exhaust, what is that? Could that cause a bad rattle? Any idea's??? Thanks guys.

440fan

Just talked to someone and they mentioned the heat riser in the passenger side exhaust/manifold... Could this cause my rattling sound? I know that I can flip it around easily and it has no spring on it. it should have a srring right? Thanks.

440fan

Wired it up and it was not the problem. Nuts... ANY IDEAS GUYS???

Runner

an a833 isnt noisy unless theres something wrong with it.   does it make more noise in certain gears? is it quiet once you get it into 4th gear?.    if you put the car in gear and hold the clutch in, then rev it up does it make the noise or is it just when your going down the road?   lots of things can make noise rearend isues, wheel bearings, bearings in the tranny ect. 

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

440fan

Makes the noise when I am going through the gears going down the road. Thought that maybe it was the exhaust but pretty sure that is not it or the engine.

Tom_440

So if you rev the motor in neutral there is no noise, but if you hit the same RPM in any gear you hear the noise?

440fan

In neutral, I can rev it to 4000 rpm and it is silk. If I go through the gears while driving, I get the loud deep rumble noise-the higher the rpm the worse it gets. While driving, it sounds like something is loose down below the tranny/engine area. Maybe, I should pull the tranny in early spring and check it out. Also sounds like if you had gravel in the exhaust/tranny and the higher you rev the worst it gets.

440fan

471_Magnum

Fan hitting the shroud.

Sounds like you need better motor mounts.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

440fan

Still have the original mounts installed and they still look good. You really  think I should replace them? They should be fine unless a mount is cracked, right? What kind of mounts would you suggest for street use? Thanks.

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

440fan

I thought the throwout bearing would have more of a whining sound. Maybe I am wrong...

Steve P.

It can whine, growl, scrape or all of them together. Do you here the noise only when you are in motion? Have you checked ALL your fluids??  Or with the car off the ground in gear?  Noises can come from one place and sound like they are coming from another.  Hell, it wasn't long ago I checked out a noise for a buddy that he couldn't find. Turned out to be a bad pass. side motor mount. It was so far gone that the oil pan was nearly resting on the drag link...  When he would put it in gear and move the steering wheel it would make a deep scratching noise..

You just have to start hunting and figure out just what is going on when you here it....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

440fan

Steve P.

How about pushing in the clutch and shutting off the motor?? What do you hear then??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

440fan

sounds normal. I did find that I had a slight oil leak and that some oil found its way to the motor mount. With oil on the rubber portion of the mount that would cause the engine to move aroiund to much??? I fixed the leak and will clean up the mount today to see if that may have been a problem.

440fan

I am going to go ahead and replace the motor mounts. Any recommendations on which ones to buy? 69 Coronet R/t 440 4 speed. Thanks.

six-tee-nine

Try to eliminate your drive shaft and rear by getting to a certain speed and then push the cluth (engine at idle for as much quitness as you can get).
Is the sound gone then it probably is not a bearing, your drive shaft or your axle.

Does the sound drop when you get your foot off the throttle (still in gear)? Because my experience with broken/worn out motor mounts is they make more noise under heavy acceleration  than in every other situation....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

440fan

At speed, when foot comes off the gas it is fine. Sound is only when accelerating through the gears....

440fan

Leaning towards Schumaker Magnum Poly-Loc Mounts. Anyone else use these. Thanks.

MOPARHOUND!

Sounds like you have the noise regardless of what gear you are in.

Check your clutch/pressure plate to flywheel bolts for tightness.

Don't know how old your 440 is, but the engine's crank can move around (especially front to back, and back to front) on a 4 speed, wearing the crankshaft's #3 main bearing over time.

Transmission input shaft wear, input shaft bearing???

Just some thoughts.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

440fan

69 Coronet R/T with 27K miles. All original and it is going to kill me to replace the original mounts.

Runner

i wonder if its not a wheel bearingor carrier bearing.   a bad u-joint can do this.  typically thowout bearing noise will change when you step on the clutch.   if its a motor mount causing the fan to hit the shrould that should be really easy to check/see.  a loose starter might cause the ring gear to sometimes touch the nose of the starter.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

471_Magnum

Quote from: 440fan on October 22, 2007, 02:09:37 PM
Leaning towards Schumaker Magnum Poly-Loc Mounts. Anyone else use these. Thanks.
I was merely suggesting a bad mount as a possibility. If you are hitting the shroud, you should have plastic shavings in the engine bay and scrape marks on the shroud. It will likely rub near the 1:00 position. "Growling" perfectly describes the sound of a fan rubbing on plastic.

That said, the Poly Locs are harsh. I had a pair on my Charger. Darn near shook my fillings loose. Ultimately, I put a rubber mount back on the passenger side and sold the one Poly Loc.

I need to put better mount(s) on my 4 speed GTX. If you want to split a pair of Poly Locs, I might be interested.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

440fan

What other mounts would be good. I want something that is close to stock looks and performance. Thanks.