News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

400 for my 68?

Started by sixty8charger, October 17, 2007, 09:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixty8charger

Found an excellent 400 professionally built long block the other day. I know that the engine was not available with the 68 but i don't plan on selling this car...The motor has been built and the builder (30+years experience) claims it is close to the 500Hp range. it will also be using the 915 closed heads with 2.08/1.75 valves. it has the 440 6pack camshaft, 440 6pack pistons (10.1:1) comes with high rise edelbrock intake, Holley 850 double pumper.
and i will be using my Doug Thorley headers on it (1 3/4) with a 2.5 in h-pipe  with 50series Flowmasters..
It will be attached to a 727t/f  to the 8 3/4 with 3.91 suregrip.

Any thoughts? 
Jayson

Ghoste

Yes, stick a 383 pie pan on the air cleaner and go have fun.  :2thumbs:

sixty8charger

:icon_smile_big:  I like that response!   
Jayson

squeakfinder

I don't see anything wrong with sticking a 400 in a 68. I've done it a couple of times. The only thing I question is the compression and weather it might be running a little higher with the closed chamber heads. I'd want something that I knew for sure I could run it on pump gas.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

sixty8charger

it has the 440 six pack pistons installed..  10.1:1 ... ?  would the closed heads make a lot more compression or would using the 906 heads be better? The 915s do have the 2.08/1.66 valves in them.  will probably enlarge the exhaust to 1.75.
Jayson

squeakfinder

Its to my understanding that from the factory the engines with the 915's ran 11 to 1 compression. A bit high for a carbureted engine on pump gas now days. If those 915's have been rebuilt, I would think you could resell them no problem. Then get a set of 452's which are much more common and have similar flow characteristics to the 906's but allready have the hardened exhaust seat's witch work with todays unleaded gas.

Larry
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

sixty8charger

would a 76 440 from a New Yorker have the 452s?
Jayson

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

kylem4711

1970 dodge charger rt 440 4-speed
1973 plymouth barracuda 4-speed

chargerbr549

I see that the 400 is listed as having 440 6 pack pistons which I don't think is possible without running a very short connecting rod so the piston won't stick out of the hole, the compression height of the 400 piston is somewhere around 1.830 and the 440 6 pack piston is 2.060, I think the closest 440 piston that might work is the low compression one that is around 1.930 compression height about .100 taller than the factory 400 one. If you were running the stock height 400 piston, stock deck height and the closed chamber 915 head you would probably be in the 9 to 9.5 to 1  compression ratio depending on the head gasket being used, also on the 67 440's with 915 closed chamber heads the compression ratio is about the same as the 68-69 440s with 906 open chamber head which is factory rated around 10 to 1, because the 66-67 440 pistons have a compression height around 2.00 and the 68-69 440 pistons have a compression height at 2.030. I hope this helps,

Kevin

sixty8charger

Kylem, no this car is not in Tuscon i have never brought it to AZ.  Chargerbr thanks for the specifications. I asked the builder for specifics on how he accomplished this. once i learn that i will share.
Jayson

Hemidog

400 in a 68?  :o Never heard of that...  :D

sixty8charger

Chargerbr, talked to the builder again..  should not of questioned his MOPAR wizdom! He's been building MOPAR Muscle since 1957!! (Been there and done that!)
anyways this is what he had to say... the engine used to be a 400 Interceptor (Police engine) with 400hp stock...The deck height of the 440 piston is about .100 higher than the 400, so the piston is even with the deck height of the block. 400 pistons are dished and .100 lower in the cylinder. The piston wrist pin of the 400 is  in the same location as the 440, so the rods that came with the engine will work with the 440 pistons. The rods are from the 440 6pack, the pistons in it are 440 Magnum flat tops.  He chose to use the Closed chamber heads to raise  the compression from 9.6:1 to 10.1:1, not too big of a diferents except the 40 more horses it will build.   Everyhthing he did to it was for the purpose of building horsepower!  Sounds like an incredible build!
oh yes this will be going into my 68!

Jayson

deputycrawford

I wasn't going to log in and post but I am just dying to know. The 400 had a MUCH bigger bore than a 440. How did he fit the 440 piston in that hole. Did he use a .060 or .080 over bore to get it in a close to stock bore 400? By that time wouldn't he use a 440 crank and make a 450 out of it? Lost of suspicious information here. I guess it would be possible to use the stuff with a large over bore piston but a custom piston would have taken many ounces of rotational weight away from the engine to keep the short deck rev response. It sounds like a very low dollar rebuild that won't even come close to the advertised 500 horsepower. If the entire build is a 440 six pack in a 400 block, you only have a 400 six pack. The 440 six pack only had 390 horsepower. Thats a far cry from 500.  I hope Firefighter, and others, chimes in here. Just my thoughts on the subject.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

bordin34

Quote from: sixty8charger on October 21, 2007, 04:17:29 PM
the engine used to be a 400 Interceptor (Police engine) with 400hp stock...
Are you sure. I think he is confused. The HP stands for High Performance or something like that not Horsepower. It will have more Horsepower than a non-HP 400, but not close to 400 horsepower.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

chargerbr549

The stock bore size on a 400 is 4.340 and the stock bore size on the 440 is 4.320 which is only .020 smaller  so for an example if you ordered a .040 over piston for the 440 is would be .020 in a 400 block it used to be an old school trick to put a low compression 440 piston in a 400 block to get your compression up, now in todays world there are a lot more options in aftermarket pistons to get your desired compression ratio up and plus have some valve reliefs for a hi-lift cam.

The highest horsepower for a 400 was in the mid to hi 200 horsepower range if I remember correctly and also remember that around 71 they started rating the horsepower in net horsepower instead of gross horsepower so the same engine would have different  ratings depending on the way they rated it, and the first year for the 400 was 72 and all those were under the net rating.

Kevin

bull

I'm kind of a purist when it comes to putting certain engines in cars that were never optioned for them. I'd go with a 383 or 440.

deputycrawford

Chargerbr, thanks for the info. I do remember reading he was using the six pack cam etc. I just believe he will be disappointed in the hp of the engine. Even with head porting, I think it will only have around 420 at the most. That,s still enough to get you around, but not the advertised power. He will do fine if it,s a pump gas engine. I just hope he doesn't pay too much for it because mostly stock parts were used. Well, I won't bother with any more of my two cents but thanks again for the info.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

sixty8charger

I appreciate all the posts!
Maybe the builder has a few secrets involved on this build...  he's been building the late 50s and has even raced with Dick Landy!
hmm..  story goes that the engine came from a Police Car in the 70s that was involved in a high Speed chase of Randy Greenawalt and Gary Tison. The car was involved in a wreck and the builder purchased it for the engine. put it togther with top parts from the Max Wedge, 440 6Pack, and what not.
I Trust his knowledge on mopars!   but with all these questions rising..  hmmm...         
I do have a 440.. its from a 76 New Yorker.. reaL mushy though!  I would love to build it but for the price of this built engine i would be saving money. The price is 35 for the motor with a completly built 727 with manual gear valve...  i figure it would cost me close to 5 just to get the 440 to HighPerformance standards.
Jayson

Rolling_Thunder

sure...    I'm putting a 400 block in a customer's 68 satellite...     a 383 came out of it and the 400 is going in...     but he is cheating...     452ci     :D
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

RD

sure is a heavy slug in that 400.  how much is he offering for it?  i dont want it, but I am curious as to what this grand poobah of the moparian world plans on charging you for the engine/trans.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

HemiDave

You could use the new, afffordable 440Source aluminum heads that are coming out early next year. Look just like the cast iron ones...a little paint..'Yeah, it's a stock 383.' :coolgleamA:

Dave
68 Charger R/T 440, auto

metallicareload99

"claims it is close to the 500Hp range."

That seems to be a lot of horsepower for any stock displacement B engine from any era.  I wonder how "streetable" this engine is?

"The rods are from the 440 6pack, the pistons in it are 440 Magnum flat tops"

I don't really see why 440 6-Pack rods would be used in a B engine?  Rod ratio is about 2.0, 6.77"/3.38".  Maybe for a very specific racing application?  If using RB~6.77" rods in a B engine assuming a 9.98" deck height with the 3.38" stroke, compression height for zero deck is 1.52".  As previously mentioned, the late 60's 440 Magnum pistons have a compression height of around 2", using RB 6.77" rods would cause the piston to protrude a significant distance above the deck.  "6pack" pistons if I recall also have a compression height of around 2".

"raise  the compression from 9.6:1 to 10.1:1, not too big of a difference except the 40 more horses it will build."

To me, a half point increase in compression doesn't seem significant enough to bring about 40 more horses.  Maybe I'm wrong.

"put it together with top parts from the Max Wedge, 440 6Pack, and what not."

I think the only top parts from a Max Wedge that would be worth using is the heads, but as mentioned earlier the 400 has later B/RB heads with the standard intake ports.

"The price is 35 for the motor with a completely built 727 with manual gear valve...  i figure it would cost me close to 5 just to get the 440 to HighPerformance standards."

$3,500 correct?  In my opinion that money would be better spent building up the 440 you have now, assuming the block checks out as a good candidate for a build.  I re-ringed and added new bearings and new heads to a 69 440 I bought a year ago and it wasn't too expensive.  I'm happy with the results.

$3,500 will take you a long way into a 440 build, and if you went with a stroker then you would have at least as much power as this 400 is supposedly making, in addition to better drivability.

These are all questions I'd want resolved before handing over money if I were in your position.  I've been there, looking for an engine ready to go to drop in and rock n roll, only to find out I basically bought a core.  A cast crank, open chambered, low compression, externally balanced, beat up core.  I trusted the guy when he said it a was running engine, and got took.  I think I did myself a huge favor by tearing it down to a short block before trying to drop it in and run it.  I found a wiped cam lobe, clogged and rusted out exhaust ports, and when I went further found that at least one of the pistons had a nasty scuff on it and almost every bearing surface was badly scratched.

The next 440 I bought, I rented a truck and drove 150 miles one way just to hear and see how it ran.

My 68 Charger has that same 440 short block and it runs good, with a 4-Speed.

I know your situation is different, but my point is to be very thorough and know as much as you can about what you are buying.  $3,500 is a lot of money, to me at least.  I might be too nit-picky and am over analyzing it.  Hopefully other members will be along to resolve some of these questions and offer better advice.  Good luck no matter which way you go   :Twocents:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

ACUDANUT

No one will ever know that it's a 400.  For those purist out there, tell them it's a 383.  It sounds like this 400 is going to be a screamer.

sixty8charger

thanks for all the input Reload.
3.5k is a good chunk of change for me as well. The 440 runs but there is a horrible knocking sound when the rpms are raised above idle.. it came from a 76New Yorker and i don't know how far it is gone. I wanted to do a stroker build on it... but ... this car will be taken on the freeways many times.. many!  at least the 400 would be able to handle the constant higher RPMS.  I do not have the overdrive unit (yet... later down the road... much  later..)    I trust this guy!
I will be headed up to get down and dirty with he engine soon.. fully inspect the 915 heads and clean em up.. new springs and what not..  inspect the engine a little more.. i am a novice at this so i hope he doesn't take advantage of that...  so far so good though! He's been very enthusiastic at answering all my questions and providing advice from what he has learned throughout the many many years of Mopar lifestyle.
I hope that i am not getting my hopes up too high!  Sounds Too Good !  i don't want to miss this oportunity if it is truly a great deal!

....  i would like to build the 440 too...  the only thing is that it will need everything !  mushy engine to begin with... and i was thinking it would cost me well over the 3.5k price.....           
Jayson