News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MY Charger smucked Sat evening....I feel sick!

Started by chgr500, October 15, 2007, 01:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chgr500

Got into a fender bender with rather elderly person Sat around 6:00 pm PDT....it's a long winded story and I'm tired...100% other driver at fault..got a 8:10 am appointment with the insurance company in the morning...this should prove interesting.....the old prune took out my NOS wheel lip molding and 1/4 fender bumper surround molding...dented and gouged rear bumper corner....and mostly took out my perfectly staight sheet metal on my 1/4....didn't even touch the rust...this car has never been in a bodyshop..notice no bondo in pics...nothing damaged is available...now what  :mad:  try to update story tomorrow

71charger_fan

Mine was hit a whole lot worse than that in the driver's quarter panel and I found a body shop that could straighten it without replacing any metal.

On mine the left rear was driven forward and put a crease in the quarter starting just above the rear tire that went into the roof. Here it is after repair. Same quarter. I had to replace the trunk lid, but, fortunately, those were plentiful.

http://www.moparmuscle69.com/1971chargerterry.htm

Smucked?

TruckDriver

OUCH! That sucks :icon_smile_dissapprove: The crome for around the wheels & bumper you can find. I see it on Ebay every so often.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Charger_Croatia

'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

70charger_boy

bull

471_Magnum

That sucks, but hopefully you can turn it into a good opportunity for rust repair. Could be a real interesting discussion with the claims adjuster though.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

69bronzeT5

Ouch, that sucks! :rotz: Thats one thing that sucks about living in the Lower Mainland, we have too many elderly people with driver's licences. Ive seen numerous elders in New West who drive. Some can drive good but the others....accidents waiting to happen :rotz:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

chgr500

Quote from: 471_Magnum on October 15, 2007, 11:43:51 AM
That sucks, but hopefully you can turn it into a good opportunity for rust repair. Could be a real interesting discussion with the claims adjuster though.

Exactly my first thought...I went through insurance this morning....just under 10 hrs allowance for 1/4 repair..2.5 hrs. for  paint refinish (lol just took one rattle can)....I need to resource all my own parts and give receipts....ie: ..NOS OEM wheel lip molding...NOS OEM r/r 1/4 trim molding...OEM NOS 15" Mopar wheel ring...NOS OEM side marker lense and bezel.....lotsa luck with this huh....bumper core will be sent out for dent repair and rechrome....so if any one has resource to any of these parts...top dollars will be paid...insurance

Sad part is I have an NOS rear wheel lip molding and an NOS bumper surround molding.....both pieces are for the left side...the wheel lip molding I bought 2 years ago and was supposed to be for the r/r but was described incorrectly..was actually l/r when it arrived...worked a deal with the seller and kept it as a spare....the left surround molding I bought 3 years ago and have kept and have been wathching for the  right side for years...never seen one...likely end up getting a decent used one and have rechromed...insurance will have to pay...
Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on October 15, 2007, 04:52:02 AM

OUCH! That sucks :icon_smile_dissapprove: The crome for around the wheels & bumper you can find. I see it on Ebay every so often.
Took me 2 1/2 years to buy 3 NOS wheel lip moldings about 3-4 years ago before repops were available...average $$ 150us + shipping per corner

Went the a reputable body shop afterward that is familiar with classic cars and rust repairs.....gave some very reasonable costs for 1/4 repairs with new metal welded in...both rear lower 1/4s and l/r inner wheel rust repairs...repair dents on both 1/4s from the doors back...1500 bucks...ya OK...this will complete the body work required for this car.....then it'll be paint...will go into the shop sometime in the new year...

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on October 15, 2007, 12:14:42 PM
Ouch, that sucks! :rotz: Thats one thing that sucks about living in the Lower Mainland, we have too many elderly people with driver's licences. Ive seen numerous elders in New West who drive. Some can drive good but the others....accidents waiting to happen :rotz:

Bronzy..I know what you mean..I thought it was one of those OOH I HIT THE GAS INSTEAD OF THE BRAKE PEDAL stories I see on the local news stories all the time regarding Grama Grampa drivers....Again the whole accident story is long winded and I'm at work...heads up though..after the accident I went to his drivers window and seen a very old fellow with an oxygen bottle on the seat and air lines stuck up in his nostrils and thought to myself oh GREAT..and when I leaned into his truck to see if he's OK... the truck cab smelled heavily of alcohol...911 time

Hmm....maybe I should sell my mint '71 R/T hood insert to help pay for this...nah I'll find an insert bulge hood soon right...right??

Charger_Fan

That bites, Man. At least it wasn't a harder hit, could have been a lot worse.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

tan top

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on October 15, 2007, 01:56:06 PM
That bites, Man. At least it wasn't a harder hit, could have been a lot worse.
sorry to see that     :iagree: could of been worse , good oppertunity to fix the quarter rust
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Joshua

That sucks......but a danger when our cars are DRIVEN.......

dpm68

Yea, my mom's gettin up there and she nearly smucked the facade of a business last year. She said she just kinda blanked out for a couple of seconds. She still drives pretty damn good though. Happy hunting for your parts.

Khyron

SO when is the old Timers Funeral?  :flame:

Seriously though, Glass half full man. Just get the insurance money and get the old girl fixed up, the fender can be fixed, The trim can be found, and your o.k.  :2thumbs:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

dc69383

I hope the adjuster has a soft spot for old Chargers....perfect time to fix that rust. :shruggy:
'69 IS FINE

71charger_fan

I was lucky, the adjuster I was sent to was blown away by the overall condition of my car and gave me a very fair settlement. I was able to stretch it to not only damage repair, but a complete repaint. That was in 1989 though.

blackcharger

Quote from: Joshua on October 15, 2007, 05:49:22 PM
That sucks......but a danger when our cars are DRIVEN.......
mine burned uo, along with my uncles '69 300 vert when my garage burnrd. might as well get the enjoyment out of driving them