News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Well finally some easy breaks with this car. I got the repro choke from eBay today. Wonderful part and worth every penny of the $50.00. I just installed it without making any adjustments. Pumped the gas and the choke closed and high idle set. Warmed it up in a few minutes and the choke opened. Took the car for a ride and the original carb runs great! Wow I really lucked out on this. Cool.  :coolgleamA:

As for sitting and the gas evaporating in the carb?  It fired right up so I don't think I have an issue with that.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 14, 2011, 07:42:37 PM
You changed the intake?

No?  I PM'd you that I realized I had the correct manifold after all. I didn't see the choke well because it's under the carb. It also was date code correct as 10/4/68 as you suggested it should be close to my Nov date. I was wondering why you didn't reply?  Guess you didn't get it. I cancelled the ebay one before they shipped it.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yup missed that one in your rapid-fire, caffeine fueled, PM fest!  good for you...gonna try and fiddle with mine more next week...

PS---pics or it didnt happen.... :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 14, 2011, 09:03:38 PM
Yup missed that one in your rapid-fire, caffeine fueled, PM fest! Good for you...gonna try and fiddle with mine more next week...

PS---pics or it didn't happen.... :scratchchin:
Ha ha your funny.  
One picture is after it's cooling again and starting to close.
Another as it looked after my cruise. Fully open.
It was set right in the middle of rich/lean so I just dropped it in and when I hooked up the rod the choke closed.  It opened within a few mins of fast idle.
Amazing all the problems I had with this car, and then I go throw on a used dirty shelf carb and a choke everyone seems to have issues with, and everything worked out fine.  Well it's about time!!  Gotta say, the car really has been trouble free for 2 years now.

1969chargerrtse

tan top

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 14, 2011, 07:03:09 PM
Well finally some easy breaks with this car. I got the repro choke from eBay today. Wonderful part and worth every penny of the $50.00. I just installed it without making any adjustments. Pumped the gas and the choke closed and high idle set. Warmed it up in a few minutes and the choke opened. Took the car for a ride and the original carb runs great! Wow I really lucked out on this. Cool.  :coolgleamA:

As for sitting and the gas evaporating in the carb?  It fired right up so I don't think I have an issue with that.

:coolgleamA: :2thumbs: good stuff
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yup thats the same one I have but had to really mess with the rich/lean settings just to get the rod to fit without jamming up the choke itself....really tight fit.  I might have to bend the rod some...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Hmmmm. Wonder what's going on?  Everything is loose and aligned correct here. Don't see what could get jammed. Carbs are fickle. You'll get it.  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Man that was a close one. Took my car out last night and filled it with premium fuel. Stomped on the gas and set the timing by ear and adjusted the kickdown lingage. Everything worked great. This morning I took it out to see how the " choke pull off " works?  A friend was telling me how the choke sets and when the engine fires up the vacuum choke pull off opens the butterfly a little bit to get some morning air in there. Pretty cool idea and it worked as it should.  I then took a DD run. On the way home the car started to get a hesitation when pulling off the line? Oh Oh I'm thinking. Here comes the thread about how my luck changed and now I do have to rebuild this off the shelf carb.  :'(
When I got home I noticed the air screws didn't seem to be the same amount of threads, threaded out. So I took them out and counted the turns to make them equal. Well that was that. The car wouldn't run at idle at all now.  I played with them and no matter what I did it wouldn't idle anymore.  I was just getting ready to park it and plan on rebuilding it when I had the idea of shooting some air with my compressor into the air screw holes. That's what I did and now it runs perfect again. Man that was close.

bakerhillpins

Hey Rob

Was searching through the site for some other info and came across one of your first posts...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33638.0.html

When are you going to get around to putting the hood pins back on the car?    :drool5:   What a trick option, how could you wait so long to add them back..    :popcrn:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bakerhillpins on April 18, 2011, 07:40:54 PM
Hey Rob

Was searching through the site for some other info and came across one of your first posts...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33638.0.html

When are you going to get around to putting the hood pins back on the car?    :drool5:  What a trick option, how could you wait so long to add them back..    :popcrn:

Wow, that old thread.  Long story short is I don't think my car came with hood pins.  The tag is not 100% percent correct and the registry says cars around April or so heading into the 70 year style had hood pins.  My car was made in November so it probably didn't have them even though I have theses odd fender support plates.  I'll try to dig up a picture.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 18, 2011, 09:21:50 PM
Wow, that old thread.  Long story short is I don't think my car came with hood pins.  The tag is not 100% percent correct and the registry says cars around April or so heading into the 70 year style had hood pins.  My car was made in November so it probably didn't have them even though I have theses odd fender support plates.  I'll try to dig up a picture.

Bummer. Hood pins are a cool option. I'm sure this has been discussed before but what about the tag is incorrect, well besides the hood pins? Could the build date be wrong?
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bakerhillpins on April 18, 2011, 09:45:54 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 18, 2011, 09:21:50 PM
Wow, that old thread.  Long story short is I don't think my car came with hood pins.  The tag is not 100% percent correct and the registry says cars around April or so heading into the 70 year style had hood pins.  My car was made in November so it probably didn't have them even though I have theses odd fender support plates.  I'll try to dig up a picture.

Bummer. Hood pins are a cool option. I'm sure this has been discussed before but what about the tag is incorrect, well besides the hood pins? Could the build date be wrong?
It's a repro tag to start.  I haven't looked at it in 3 years, most of it is correct but there is a thing or two like the hood pins that I don't think came with the car with.  I'll never know because I can't locate the owner or locate the build sheet.  I'm long past that and don't care anymore.  To be honest I don't like hood pins on a 69 anyway.

TUFCAT

I actually don't like hood pins on 69 Chargers because they're so far back from the hood edge. For years I thought they were an aftermarket add on... :shruggy:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on April 19, 2011, 08:14:04 PM
I actually don't like hood pins on 69 Chargers because they're so far back from the hood edge. For years I thought they were an aftermarket add on... :shruggy:
Well put.  I couldn't put my finger on it, but that explains it perfect.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 20, 2011, 07:09:22 AM
Whats not to like?   Especially with the V21 option as well :drool5:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,75726.0.html
Wow you finally got a picture in detail of hood pins and location. One rare option in 69 for sure. Sorry to each his/her own. Never saw the hood treatment and hood pins in 69 and maybe that's why I don't care for it? As said before they sit way to far back for me.
One thing I learned is those extra plates on my fender are useless and not related to any hood pins from the factory. And that's fine with me.

TUFCAT

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on April 20, 2011, 11:12:20 AM
Hood pins look better with the V21 option for sure.
Yeah the paint helps hide them. I don't care for the hood treatment either.  I like, and remember what the cars looked like in the brouchers.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 20, 2011, 11:36:38 AM
Yeah the paint helps hide them. I don't care for the hood treatment either.  I like, and remember what the cars looked like in the brouchers.

Hide them?  In plain view to me...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 20, 2011, 11:36:38 AM
Yeah the paint helps hide them. I don't care for the hood treatment either.  I like, and remember what the cars looked like in the brouchers.

"Hide them?  In plain view to me..."

I should of known you'd be back. I almost changed what I wrote because I thought someone would comment about that. What I mean is the black insert paint kinda softens the fact that the pins are so far back. Something like that. Hood pins alone don't do well on a 69 to me. But throw in the black out stuff and it's not as bad as a look.   :Twocents:

bakerhillpins

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

TUFCAT

I know I'll get flames on this.....so here it goes.

V21 looked best on the 1970 R/T with the big 440 letters. :icon_smile_wink:

aussiemuscle

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 27, 2011, 07:25:22 AM
...   That's what I told myself, life is short go enjoy the car.  Besides, at 55 I'll be long gone before this garage stored, AirChamber controlled, limited used car ever rots out.  Life is short, enjoy it!!!
A very good philosophy you have! your car is certainly something worth enjoying.