News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on October 30, 2010, 10:46:25 AM
22 here yesterday morning..  :brickwall:
That sucks men !!  That Hemi Daytona got heat?  As you know my heater is disconnected.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 30, 2010, 12:32:12 PM
That sucks men !!  That Hemi Daytona got heat?  As you know my heater is disconnected.

Nope its heater delete....dont even have a box under the dash. Just a heater delete right side vent.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Well the days are cold, so time to do little things.  Pulled the rear main diff seal and trani seal for replacement.  The yoke 1 1/18 nut and a bolt for the universal was loose, not good.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

tan top

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 14, 2010, 05:12:34 PM
Well the days are cold, so time to do little things.  Pulled the rear main diff seal and trani seal for replacement.  The yoke 1 1/18 nut and a bolt for the universal was loose, not good.

crikey  unusual for  that pinion nut  to be loose  :o normaly can jump up & down with a breaker bar & they dont budge !! :icon_smile_blackeye: well the ones i have done  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: tan top on November 14, 2010, 05:27:28 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 14, 2010, 05:12:34 PM

crikey  unusual for  that pinion nut  to be loose  :o normaly can jump up & down with a breaker bar & they dont budge !! :icon_smile_blackeye: well the ones i have done  :scratchchin:
I had a guy take the unit apart check it and put it back together for a 100.00.  And that's what I get?

TUFCAT

Wow!! that sucks that some Jagoff left the nut loose. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Next summer you could have been hearing your rear diff singing those "not so sweet vibrations" at certain speeds....then of course,  that catstrophic failure that nobody ever wants to happen. Good thing you found it!!!  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on November 14, 2010, 08:32:48 PM
Wow!! that suck that some Jagoff left the nut loose. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Next summer you could have been hearing your rear diff singing those "not so sweet vibrations" at certain speeds....then of course,  that catstrophic failure that nobody ever wants to happen. Good thing you found it!!!  :2thumbs:
The car did vibrate above 65ish.  Could that of been it?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 14, 2010, 08:49:46 PM

Next summer you could have been hearing your rear diff singing those "not so sweet vibrations" at certain speeds....then of course,  that catstrophic failure that nobody ever wants to happen. Good thing you found it!!!  :2thumbs:

The loose yoke could have caused the vibration,or the vibration caused the nut to loosen.......
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

TUFCAT

Rob, I'm no expert.

I had a problem with my 1972 Charger Rallye that had whining differential which occurred only "on throttle". It had to be a slight throttle application, or the whine would go away. I took it to a reputable rear-end shop who said the ring and pinion was still good, and the whole unit could be saved with a pre-load adjustment. All I know, is that without the correct "pre-load" the pinion shaft can move slightly in and out of the ring gear whenever torque is applied...which was exactly my problem. It really didn't matter what speed it was. Unfortunately, I never solved this problem - or got the work done because I ended up selling the car.

My "uneducated guess" is that your loose pinion nut could exhibit the symptoms. However, I just did some quick research and found that adjusting the preload is not an easy operation.  Some differentials may require removal of the pinion to replace the crush sleeve....unfortunately I can't recall if this is true on an 8-3/4.

Someone here will know that answer!  :2thumbs:  

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on November 14, 2010, 09:30:45 PM
Rob, I'm no expert.

I had a problem with my 1972 Charger Rallye that had whining differential which occurred only "on throttle". It had to be a slight throttle application, or the whine would go away. I took it to a reputable rear-end shop who said the ring and pinion was still good, and the whole unit could be saved with a pre-load adjustment. All I know, is that without the correct "pre-load" the pinion shaft can move slightly in and out of the ring gear whenever torque is applied...which was exactly my problem. It really didn't matter what speed it was. Unfortunately, I never solved this problem - or got the work done because I ended up selling the car.

My "uneducated guess" is that your loose pinion nut could exhibit the symptoms. However, I just did some quick research and found that adjusting the preload is not an easy operation.  Some differentials may require removal of the pinion to replace the crush sleeve....unfortunately I can't recall if this is true on an 8-3/4.

Someone here will know that answer!  :2thumbs:  

I'll write a thread on the other section.  Thanks.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 14, 2010, 09:21:04 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 14, 2010, 08:49:46 PM

The loose yoke could have caused the vibration,or the vibration caused the nut to loosen.......
Makes sense.  Another one of those hard to fiqure things?

Hud

I could be way off base here, and certainly dont need a tongue lashing but I am young and grew up with mopars.  I have always believed GMs are for dependability and anything Mopar is for fun.  The truth of the matter in my opinion is that even if GMs break the parts are vast and cheap.  Mopars take a little effort and $$$.  Its all about the fun.  My father was all about ford trucks and Plymouth cars.  Im the opposite, Im all about GM and Chevy trucks and Dodge and Plymouth Cars.  If I had your car I would probably only be a little aggravated because of the raw deal but you have a great opportunity to plunge into the fun of building your sweet charger into any type of mammoth beast you want.  Im not all about the hostility I have 2 GMC trucks and my wife drive a new ss camaro but all in all my favorite is my Charger.  Whatever goes wrong or whatever needs fixed or upgraded is an adventure. I would probably part with my Charger and both my GMCs for a 69 or 70 Charger that was a sweet as yours with the same problems.  Enjoy it man, Im sure even with the expensive garage decoration anyone that sees it would be envious!

Cheers,
Hud
1971 Plymouth Barracuda, 1973 Jeep CJ6, 2011 Chevy Silverado LTZ, 2012, 2012 Harley Davidson Street-Bob, Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

greenpigs

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on October 30, 2010, 12:36:22 PM

Nope its heater delete....dont even have a box under the dash. Just a heater delete right side vent.

What does the heater delete right side vent look like?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Hud on November 14, 2010, 11:00:37 PM
I could be way off base here, and certainly don't need a tongue lashing but I am young and grew up with mopars.  I have always believed GMs are for dependability and anything Mopar is for fun.  The truth of the matter in my opinion is that even if GMs break the parts are vast and cheap.  Mopars take a little effort and $$$.  Its all about the fun.  My father was all about ford trucks and Plymouth cars.  I'm the opposite, I'm all about GM and Chevy trucks and Dodge and Plymouth Cars.  If I had your car I would probably only be a little aggravated because of the raw deal but you have a great opportunity to plunge into the fun of building your sweet charger into any type of mammoth beast you want.  I'm not all about the hostility I have 2 GMC trucks and my wife drive a new ss camaro but all in all my favorite is my Charger.  Whatever goes wrong or whatever needs fixed or upgraded is an adventure. I would probably part with my Charger and both my GMCs for a 69 or 70 Charger that was a sweet as yours with the same problems.  Enjoy it man, I'm sure even with the expensive garage decoration anyone that sees it would be envious!

Cheers,
Hud
Yo HUD, Hate to say it but yep you're off base. Every once and a while I get someone that reads the thread in the wrong direction.  You must of been at the begining of this thread, go to the end and see it all worked out and I love this car.   But thanks for caring. :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: greenpigs on November 14, 2010, 11:51:31 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on October 30, 2010, 12:36:22 PM

What does the heater delete right side vent look like?
I was wondering about that?

Charger-Bodie

It looks almost the same as a left one. It bolts to the hole where the a/c nox would draw air from the cowl. basiccally it looks the same except everything is backwords...ie how the cable hooks up etc.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 15, 2010, 07:06:15 AM
It looks almost the same as a left one. It bolts to the hole where the a/c nox would draw air from the cowl. basiccally it looks the same except everything is backwords...ie how the cable hooks up etc.

where do you find one of those?  seems like it would be a rare part.  :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Hud

Yeah sall that after I hit post. I have since read everything and am glad it is all good now! I sall a lot of hostility in the first page of posts. I'm up to speed on the convo now ha! I'll tell yah what though some of the cars the people have on here are awsome and not only put mine to shame but teach me and give me direction. Thanks for the comment back!
1971 Plymouth Barracuda, 1973 Jeep CJ6, 2011 Chevy Silverado LTZ, 2012, 2012 Harley Davidson Street-Bob, Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

1969chargerrtse

Well, I tightened up the yoke nut bigtime.  My gauge only went to 140lbs so I just cranked on it.  Better than being loose. :icon_smile_big:   I took the car on the highway and it seems better.  I felt like I was doing 80 but the speedo said 70?  Who knows?  What I do know is I drive at about 60mph so I'm good.  :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 15, 2010, 08:57:10 PM
Well, I tightened up the yoke nut bigtime.  My gauge only went to 140lbs so I just cranked on it.  Better than being loose. :icon_smile_big:   I took the car on the highway and it seems better.  I felt like I was doing 80 but the speedo said 70?  Who knows?  What I do know is I drive at about 60mph so I'm good.  :2thumbs:

So you just used the German torque spec?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

djcarguy

super looking car and love the painted roof.imo your and solid color is best,lets the car and eye flow the whole length of the prefect charger lines.imo on a bright color like yours a dark top breaks up the lines and makes the back of car seem short and stubby and the front too long.     did not read all pages,but it sounds like you went the smart and sane path on your engine.all the build it bigger ,badder,and stroke it gets many into money and more broken parts problems.many of my buddies get talked into this with the biggest cam and then break value springs and lifters and knock a hole in a piston.
       hemidogg is totally right on about used rods my 40 over balanced 70 340 bottom end looked like his with rod end spinning on crank. it fatique snapped 1/2 off rod pin took out my block ,5 piston and lock up engine.almost cost me my 67 belve gtx ragtop as the car lost control on the freeway,went sideway off and down in the grass.got it going back ward and stopped just before a concrete drainage canal. this was 19 yrs ago so rod was 20 yrs old .and car was 1 yr old as to resto and paint.       great charger and story, take care of it,dj in oregon

Ben Stenson

Oh man that sucks. Sorry to hear that. It is a sweet looking car though!

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ben Stenson on November 18, 2010, 04:50:18 PM
Oh man that sucks. Sorry to hear that. It is a sweet looking car though!
Thanks but I think your another one reading from the first page and not aware things have been corrected and we are a rolling.  :2thumbs:

Belgium R/T -68

My yokenut was also loose when I started the teardown.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

1969chargerrtse

I thought about it for awhile.  Would it be O.k to take my car out on the roads with this pass winter in mind?  Salt etc...  I went for it with no regrets.  The main roads are squeaky clean due to all the rain we had.  My road which is a little messy but short was handled real slow.  No regrets.  Got a few beeps and hand waves, it was so nice to go for a cruise and lube things up.  Filled the tank with expensive cheap winter fuel and headed back home.  Anyone else live in the North East but took the car out for a short run?

Here's a shocker.  :o  I'm planning on finally painting my discusting primered trunk this spring.  :2thumbs: