News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 08, 2009, 07:00:00 PM
Well I believe I found out why my car stalls.  The gauges were doing funky things again, as I went to back out of my garage I put my foot on the brake to shift and BAM! she stalls.  No power anywhere.  Great!!   I checked all the fuses and they were fine and there was no power on any of the fuses.  I metered the battery and it was 12+ Volts.  I went from the Batt neg to the blue fusible link and it was dead.  I went to the small battery cable that goes to the fuseable link and it was dead still.  I pulled on the Red battery cable at the clamp point and click, all the interior lamps went on.  So that very expensive ( $140.00 ) Positive cable is flawed.  I got it from Bill at A&M and I'll call him and pray he sends me a new one.    http://www.amhightechauto.com/

To most of you, Sunday is Mothers day.  To me it's my Birthday and I'm hoping to take my wife to the cruise night I go to On Sundays.  Saturday were going down to the beach for dinner and also taking the Charger.  Dear Lord above, as I remind you of the 45,000.00 I invested in this wonderful car, I ask you please that we be able to take a 1/2 hour drive and return home under are own power.   :angel:  Wish me luck.  :2thumbs:

Update:Update:  Just talked to Bill, I bought the cable Feb 2008 he is going to make a call Monday to see if the supplier will back it and let me know, he has no problem doing it but just wants to make sure he is backed.  Fair to me.

You're a very good technician!  :2thumbs:  By the way,  "old school basic knowledge" of automotive systems is extremely important when you own a 40 year old car!

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on May 10, 2009, 08:52:00 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 08, 2009, 07:00:00 PM
Well I believe I found out why my car stalls.  The gauges were doing funky things again, as I went to back out of my garage I put my foot on the brake to shift and BAM! she stalls.  No power anywhere.  Great!!   I checked all the fuses and they were fine and there was no power on any of the fuses.  I metered the battery and it was 12+ Volts.  I went from the Batt neg to the blue fusible link and it was dead.  I went to the small battery cable that goes to the fuseable link and it was dead still.  I pulled on the Red battery cable at the clamp point and click, all the interior lamps went on.  So that very expensive ( $140.00 ) Positive cable is flawed.  I got it from Bill at A&M and I'll call him and pray he sends me a new one.    http://www.amhightechauto.com/

To most of you, Sunday is Mothers day.  To me it's my Birthday and I'm hoping to take my wife to the cruise night I go to On Sundays.  Saturday were going down to the beach for dinner and also taking the Charger.  Dear Lord above, as I remind you of the 45,000.00 I invested in this wonderful car, I ask you please that we be able to take a 1/2 hour drive and return home under are own power.   :angel:  Wish me luck.  :2thumbs:

Update:Update:  Just talked to Bill, I bought the cable Feb 2008 he is going to make a call Monday to see if the supplier will back it and let me know, he has no problem doing it but just wants to make sure he is backed.  Fair to me.

You're a very good technician!  :2thumbs:  By the way,  "old school basic knowledge" of automotive systems is extremely important when you own a 40 year old car!
Miss hearing from you.  Thanks.  I'm so happy that's resolved.

If I can't get a replacement cable what I'm going to do is strip off some of the coating on the cable in the area it runs behind the brake booster.  Then I'll solder and area of the larger cable to the smaller cable (and tape it) and that will tie the two power sources together and save me 140.00+ bucks.   :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

As promised Mike (llilwendal ) sent me a restored Tic toc Tach, amp gauge and Voltage reg.  I pulled the dash pod out in just 20 Min's.  2nd time is quicker.  I ran the clock for 5 1/2 hours before I installed it in the dash pod.  I couldn't take the crummy bezel I had in there anymore ( picture with thin chrome rings ), since I had the dash pod out I removed it and installed the one I had re chromed.   Chrome tech USA did a great job. 

Mike ( llilwendal ), thanks so much for your great work and service.  Everyone speaks well of you, and so they should.  :2thumbs:  This guy ate the shipping everytime.  Thanks Mike.  I'll send out the parts I have ASAP.   Can you refund me for the shipping?   :nana:  Just kidding. :icon_smile_wink:

The last and first pictures are the Chrome Tech bezel plating.  Check out those chrome rings! 
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

lilwendal

Looking good Rob :2thumbs:  I have both fingers crossed that you won't have anymore issues. Glad you chased down that voltage gremlin.  How'd that drive go with the little misses the other day???

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: lilwendal on May 14, 2009, 08:41:54 PM
Looking good Rob :2thumbs:  I have both fingers crossed that you won't have anymore issues. Glad you chased down that voltage gremlin.  How'd that drive go with the little misses the other day???

Well, she bailed  :'(.  She's studying 24/7 for Nursing school so she passed, but I drove all over the place and had no issues. 

Thanks again.  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Well, I had a blast tonight.  I threw the dash pod in quick and ran up to the Monroe Ct cruise night.  I had no issues at all and the car drove great!  Check out my in the garage shot just before shutting her down for the night ( tach is a little high, but that's fine ).  Thanks Mike, all is well.  :2thumbs:  Oh and that be the correct time.  :laugh:

1969chargerrtse

Went out for a coffee run this morning and found this kinda cool. 6 door chargers.  Notice the off set parking Robby does.  :icon_smile_wink:

69*F5*SE

That is one beautiful Charger.   :yesnod:  I'm not talking about the big grey tub sitting next to it.   :eek2:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on May 16, 2009, 07:33:53 AM
That is one beautiful Charger.   :yesnod:  I'm not talking about the big grey tub sitting next to it.   :eek2:
Thanks, " big grey tub ". :smilielol:  Oh sorry Chris.  :icon_smile_big:

TUFCAT

Dude...you've been driving the wheels off that thing lately!  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on May 16, 2009, 08:40:20 AM
Dude...you've been driving the wheels off that thing lately!  :2thumbs:
Oh yea, that's why I bought it.  To beautify the roads.  Just got back from a lunch run, back in the Air Chamber it goes because we have heavy rain coming.  Back out for tomorrow nights cruise.  :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 16, 2009, 07:58:25 AM

Am I the only one that has a new Charger?  No apology necessary....

PS---come to NYC & park like that....you can guarantee a key to at least the door & partial quarter panel  :slap:
and possibly a visit from the bomb squad for backing your trunk up to a store...

;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69*F5*SE

Hey NOT Just 6T9 CHGR, (sorry, I forgot your name  :scratchchin: ) can you post  a few pics of your 69 Charger?  I can't say that I've seen it.   :scratchchin:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on May 16, 2009, 08:50:49 PM
Hey NOT Just 6T9 CHGR, (sorry, I forgot your name  :scratchchin: ) can you post  a few pics of your 69 Charger?  I can't say that I've seen it.   :scratchchin:

Lots of pictures here :cheers:

http://members.tripod.com/charger_rt69/
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on May 16, 2009, 08:04:01 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 16, 2009, 07:58:25 AM

Am I the only one that has a new Charger?  No apology necessary....

PS---come to NYC & park like that....you can guarantee a key to at least the door & partial quarter panel  :slap:
and possibly a visit from the bomb squad for backing your trunk up to a store...

;)
Oh sorry, to me you are.  And, I didn't park up to the store, if I did I would hit the post.  There's lots of walk room there?  If you can't back up to a store in your town it makes me understand more why I love my town.  I am off center of the spot and a good move if you look how the other Charger parked.
I'll make sure I stay out of Satan Island.

1969chargerrtse

I've always said I don't have any good pictures of how bright Orange my car really is.  Here's a shot from a coffee run the other day and the sun really lit the car up.  It's been running fantastic with no problems, and I've put lots of trips and miles on it.  It's nice to finally be at a " turn key " place with the car. Oh Yeah.  :coolgleamA:

lexxman

That's a great shot,my car will be the same color and some of my friend keep telling me it's orange.Almost but not quite.It's redish orange.And I like it.

TUFCAT

Rob, how much different that is from 1969 Omaha Orange "999" ? .....(which to my knowledge was never offered on a Charger). But if it was, it might look exactly like yours!  :think:

1969chargerrtse

Well my friends, my Dodge charger is painted GM's Hugger Orange paint code 72.  Why they didn't paint it Hemi Orange is beyond me, but it is bright in the sun and I really like it.

69*F5*SE

A GM color eh!  I think it really pops in the sun nicely   :yesnod:

bsakal

69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 02, 2009, 05:22:36 AM
Well my friends, my Dodge charger is painted GM's Hugger Orange paint code 72.  Why they didn't paint it Hemi Orange is beyond me, but it is bright in the sun and I really like it.

It definitely looks Hemi orange in your signature pictures.

I heard ......(from the Speed TV Barrett-Jackson Auction TV announcers) that Hugger Orange was the same shade as "Carousel Red" for Pontiac, which was a GTO color.

Ghoste

Yes, they have the same Ditzler code for both colors. (everyone once in a while something honest happens at B-J)

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on June 02, 2009, 06:50:30 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 02, 2009, 05:22:36 AM

It definitely looks Hemi orange in your signature pictures.

I heard ......(from the Speed TV Barrett-Jackson Auction TV announcers) that Hugger Orange was the same shade as "Carousel Red" for Pontiac, which was a GTO color.

That's why I posted the picture because the color in the signature pictures does not do the color justice.
Actually Carousel Red is what is on the paint can, but I couldn't remember the name so I called it hugger Orange which is the same color.  My 69 Pace Car had the Hugger orange stripes and interior so to me it's kinda cool, but just not right.

I want to thank you again for that awesome regulator.  I still stare at the gauge and it's great to see it working charging correct.  I Would love to find another one for a spare.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bsakal on June 02, 2009, 04:12:17 PM
Rob,
You still liking those mufflers?
Brian
Funny you ask ( been thinking about changing them ).  Kinda.  They can drowl or hum a bit to loud at times, though people that have passed me say the sound is great.  I may throw on the stock ones.  It's a hard call because it sounds so Muscle car cool, but if I have someone with me and we are cruising and talking, they are a bit to loud.