News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

O boy.  I didn't think I did anything wrong mentioning your name?  I didn't insult you or say anything bad about you, but all the same I deleted it and apologize. I believe I have 2 separate issues.  The stalling happened 4 times to me this evening and I'm trying to find out why ( total loss of electrical power )?  The gauges also pegged to the right several times.  It stalled with the gauges running normal, and one time when they were pegged.  I thank you for the options, but I have called you how many times, and emailed how many times, and I find this on my thread?  I wish you just called me back?  I would never return the work you did and ask for a refund, I would like to get another tic toc tach as option C.   As for the gauges pegging right, I was told it happens on these cars and is usually the VR? 
I would like the new tach and clock, and after I trouble shoot what the heck is going on I will install it.  That's all I ever asked from call and email #1.

To answer about the tach and clock.  The clock worked for about 5 hours and the tach has always worked and still works but is not steady.  The gauges just started pegging to the right this past week.

Oh and I did mention the ebay seller as I posted the original link at one time. Bank of America was mentioned also I thought ( in other threads )? The shipper I mentioned on several threads, BE&A is where the wood grain came from, I thought most knew that but admit to not broadcasting it?  And the engine builder closed shop after all the problems my engine gave him ( he was due to retire anyway ), but his name is Fred of Fred's Heads in Bethany.

I have never had any electrical issues with this car (gauges etc ), that is one of the few good things I can say.  The voltage reg issue was resolved with an electronic one ( thanks TUFCAT ).
Gee a Mopar with electrical issues, who would of thought?  :eek2:

If you could ship me the other tach that would be great, as we originally talked about several weeks ago.

It's not fair for me to pull this apart again and ship it out again and wait again when all this was originally done over the winter months and now spring is here.
If option C is not good for you ( sending a replacement tach ) anymore as we had previously agreed, then just forget about it and I'll order my own parts and redo the tach and clock on my own.

You did a great job at a great price, sorry for the issues.

In closing, yesterday I was in rush hour traffic at a light with cars all around me with my daughter, making a Taco bell run when the car stalled. A guy drove around me and said " Piece of junk ".  My advise to any smart ass people on the planet.  If it was a hot summer day, and people were beeping at me while I tried to figure out what the heck is wrong, stressed out, wiping the sweat from my forehead  and you drove by and yelled "piece of junk", I swear I would run you down, drag your ass out of the car and beat the living 45,000.00 ( amount of money invested in car that can't do a 1/2 food trip ) crap out of you in front of everyone and then do my time in jail for probably murder.  Just a thought. This is why I don't do long drive car shows.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

lilwendal

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 06, 2009, 07:35:01 PM
O boy.  I didn't think I did anything wrong mentioning your name?  I didn't insult you or say anything bad about you, but all the same I deleted it and apologize. I believe I have 2 separate issues.  The stalling happened 4 times to me this evening and I'm trying to find out why ( total loss of electrical power )?  The gauges also pegged to the right several times.  It stalled with the gauges running normal, and one time when they were pegged.  I thank you for the options, but I have called you how many times, and emailed how many times, and I find this on my thread?  I wish you just called me back?  I would never return the work you did and ask for a refund, I would like to get another tic toc tach as option C.   As for the gauges pegging right, I was told it happens on these cars and is usually the VR? 
I would like the new tach and clock, and after I trouble shoot what the heck is going on I will install it.  That's all I ever asked from call and email #1.

To answer about the tach and clock.  The clock worked for about 5 hours and the tach has always worked and still works but is not steady.  The gauges just started pegging to the right this past week.

Oh and I did mention the ebay seller as I posted the original link at one time. Bank of America was mentioned also I thought ( in other threads )? The shipper I mentioned on several threads, BE&A is where the wood grain came from, I thought most knew that but admit to not broadcasting it?  And the engine builder closed shop after all the problems my engine gave him ( he was due to retire anyway ), but his name is Fred of Fred's Heads in Bethany.

I have never had any electrical issues with this car (gauges etc ), that is one of the few good things I can say.  The voltage reg issue was resolved with an electronic one ( thanks TUFCAT ).
Gee a Mopar with electrical issues, who would of thought?  :eek2:

If you could ship me the other tach that would be great, as we originally talked about several weeks ago.

It's not fair for me to pull this apart again and ship it out again and wait again when all this was originally done over the winter months and now spring is here.
If option C is not good for you ( sending a replacement tach ) anymore as we had previously agreed, then just forget about it and I'll order my own parts and redo the tach and clock on my own.

You did a great job at a great price, sorry for the issues.

In closing, yesterday I was in rush hour traffic at a light with cars all around me with my daughter, making a Taco bell run when the car stalled. A guy drove around me and said " Piece of junk ".  My advise to any smart ass people on the planet.  If it was a hot summer day, and people were beeping at me while I tried to figure out what the heck is wrong, stressed out, wiping the sweat from my forehead  and you drove by and yelled "piece of junk", I swear I would run you down, drag your ass out of the car and beat the living 45,000.00 ( amount of money invested in car that can't do a 1/2 food trip ) crap out of you in front of everyone and then do my time in jail for probably murder.  Just a thought. This is why I don't do long drive car shows.
Rob,
Sorry..Maybe a took it the wrong way but I just felt that the huge pictures of the tach and gauges and the constantly mentioning me and the problems you were having was a jab.  Guess not and I need to work on my insecurity issues then. No harm. :cheers:
Option C is fine I just really need you to be confident that there is not some other electrical issue effecting this.
If I put this tach/clock together..... take pictures several hours/days apart with the clock functioning and the tach on the calibrator showing dead nuts 4 grand at that setting and 1 grand at that setting..... Then send it to you and you say the clock stoppped working 1 minute and 37 seconds later and that tach is swinging wildly.... Then where are we?
I just hate to send another tach, as they are impossible to find anymore, if there is some other issue.
Also with the other gauge issues your having it would be nice to check eveything out again. I definetly understand how much it sucks to be without a real car (Charger) and that pulling and sending your gauges back would shorten your driving window. It was just an offer to make sure everythings 100%.
I've followed your thread and do realise you've had a lot of frustrating issues with your car.  I admire you not giving up on it and everything you've done has made your car that much nicer.
I'll send a tach out Monday with an old style tested VR and an ammeter priority USPS. 
Be carefull about the gauges pegging! If you feel they are pegging because of 12 volts getting there then you will damage the gauges. You would be better to unplug the regulator completely if you must start /drive.
If its happening regularly...you can clip a meter lead to any fuel/temp/oil gauge's  stud and see what voltage is there.
Let me know if you have any wiring questions.
Mike

1969chargerrtse

Nah, no apologize needed.  I didn't mean to make it look like a complaint to you, but I understand how maybe you thought that, it's just that I post all the issues and how I finally fix them.  I have to laugh about you commenting on the size of the pictures  :hah:  That's just the size the Iphone puts out.  I do think the issues are new to the car, and that is something I will check this weekend.  Maybe the fluctuating of the tach is the fluctuating of my 12v supply?  So I'm going to meter that also.  I may not need the VR ( If it is a wiring issue ), and the tach is good ( if it is an wiring issue ) , the real only issue is the clock again.  After I get steady gauges and no stalling, I will put in the new tach and clock and if it dies again, just send me the receipt for the clock works and I'll return it and do it over the winter. 

You will be getting my working tach back so you're not out a tach.  Send the tach, VR, and amp gauge Monday and I will take her apart asap.

Thanks for the compliments on what I have been through with the car.  It has truly tested me and made me a stronger person as I am determend to have a great reliable running Charger R/T one way or the other.  It's such a beautiful car and I love cruising in it. 

To show my good faith I will reduce the picture sizes to be a good sport.  :icon_smile_wink:

Thanks again, you always said "  I'll make it right Rob! "  Sorry you had to share some of this cars persistent issues, but they will be gone.  I will prevail  :patriot: Trust me.  :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

O.K so I went out in the garage and put my meter on the cig lighter.  I'm happy to say I had a steady 14.5 DC coming out.  I did notice at 2,000 rpm the volts was steady at 14.5 while the tach was going between 2,000 and 2,400 so I'm pretty sure it's in the tach board or whatever.  I was pleased to see steady voltage.  I put my hand up into the dash to reach the amp meter.  There were 2 thin loose wires with each having plastic female connectors on them?  I didn't find any loose wires on the amp studs but I'm wondering if they touched one of the studs?  I moved them out of the way.  I had the lights on and hit the brake and all systems were good.  I hope when I take a cruise Saturday that the issues are gone and all I have to do next week is replace the tic toc tach.  Yesterday I found the 2nd wire in on the middle firewall plug not fully in the clip.  It did heat up that area of plastic and does go to the amp gauge wiring so I'm hoping that was the issue with the gauges moving?  We shall see.

gasoline_24

Mike you have my support.   :2thumbs:  I haven't installed the cluster yet, but I am sure it will work.  I have all new electrical so I do not anticipate any problems.  I trust that if I do you will be there.  Also thanks for  the deal on the Bendix booster and MC.

1969chargerrtse

Several items tonight.  I put in the new gas tank, gas tank straps, and filler tube seal.  The seal on the left is the one that was in my tank.  I don't know if it's original but it is still soft and wraps around the tube tight.  The one I got for an extra 15.00 that came with the tank is not as tight and just another waste of money.

On the straps I will say they work but then again are not like original.  The hole for the bolt is too small and of course I didn't notice that until I was on my back under the car, pushing up on the tank trying to get the square peg in the round hole.   ::)  I had to drill those holes larger.  Also the bends were not correct so I had to re bend them.  Bottom line is they will do. 

In case you're wondering, I did not coat the tank with anything, it is up there raw.  Being galvanized and on a show car ( In an air chamber ) I'm sure it will look shiny new for many years.

Gee, why does my registration sticker say " March 2009 "?  ooops.

1969chargerrtse

Well I believe I found out why my car stalls.  The gauges were doing funky things again, as I went to back out of my garage I put my foot on the brake to shift and BAM! she stalls.  No power anywhere.  Great!!   I checked all the fuses and they were fine and there was no power on any of the fuses.  I metered the battery and it was 12+ Volts.  I went from the Batt neg to the blue fusible link and it was dead.  I went to the small battery cable that goes to the fuseable link and it was dead still.  I pulled on the Red battery cable at the clamp point and click, all the interior lamps went on.  So that very expensive ( $140.00 ) Positive cable is flawed.  I got it from Bill at A&M and I'll call him and pray he sends me a new one.    http://www.amhightechauto.com/

To most of you, Sunday is Mothers day.  To me it's my Birthday and I'm hoping to take my wife to the cruise night I go to On Sundays.  Saturday were going down to the beach for dinner and also taking the Charger.  Dear Lord above, as I remind you of the 45,000.00 I invested in this wonderful car, I ask you please that we be able to take a 1/2 hour drive and return home under are own power.   :angel:  Wish me luck.  :2thumbs:

Update:Update:  Just talked to Bill, I bought the cable Feb 2008 he is going to make a call Monday to see if the supplier will back it and let me know, he has no problem doing it but just wants to make sure he is backed.  Fair to me.

hemi-hampton

I bought a expensive battery cable that cracked in half as soon as I tightened it down. Ends up the lead end had a big hollow air pocket in it making it very weak & paper thin. Anybody else have this problem before? LEON.

Steve P.

That is one thing the side post guys will have over us forever..  And yes, Back when I had my shops I would see it now and then. After the first time trying to figure out what ( I MUST HAVE DONE ), and pulling hair out looking for it, I started tugging on all ends before putting any new battery cables on everything...

Car is looking great bud.....   :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Musicman

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 08, 2009, 06:52:02 PM

It also says Connecticut... so what part of the state do you hail from brother? I'm from the Norwich area myself. Well... I'm working in South Kakalacky at the moment... been here for the last 6 months... but my home, my wife & children, and my car, are back in CT waiting patiently for my return.

Good to hear that you were able to solve your electrical issues.   :2thumbs:

:cheers:

charger500440

I noticed from some of your earlier photos that it looked a lot like Connecticut to me. I'm in Wallingford. I'm assuming (although I haven't gone in many moons), the car show on Sunday nights is on Rt. 34 in Derby? Your car does look great. Question for you, I need a set of gas tank straps for both my cars, where  did you get yours from? It's pretty shabby how they fabricated the mount hole. Thanks...

Mike
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Musicman on May 09, 2009, 06:50:23 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 08, 2009, 06:52:02 PM

It also says Connecticut... so what part of the state do you hail from brother? I'm from the Norwich area myself. Well... I'm working in South Kakalacky at the moment... been here for the last 6 months... but my home, my wife & children, and my car, are back in CT waiting patiently for my return.

Good to hear that you were able to solve your electrical issues.   :2thumbs:

:cheers:
Bethany my friends.  Cow town just outside of New Haven.  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: charger500440 on May 09, 2009, 07:09:32 AM
I noticed from some of your earlier photos that it looked a lot like Connecticut to me. I'm in Wallingford. I'm assuming (although I haven't gone in many moons), the car show on Sunday nights is on Rt. 34 in Derby? Your car does look great. Question for you, I need a set of gas tank straps for both my cars, where  did you get yours from? It's pretty shabby how they fabricated the mount hole. Thanks...

Mike
Yes I try to make the Donut cruise night in Derby every Sunday. Sometimes I park front and center with the mopar guys, sometimes I hide way in the rear under a tree for shade and I wax it just for fun.

Here's the gas tank strap link.  If you are original anal these are not for you.  If you just want straps that no one could tell or care about the difference then these are fine.  Over all I have two shiny galvanized straps holding the tank up.  It works

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1&item=120360738019&category=34198&viewitem=

The picture is from last Sundays cruise night, but it officially opens tomorrow night.

1969chargerrtse

Well, today I installed the vapor canister/filter thingy.  The return line for my car was cut off under the passenger side door.  What I did was buy brake line and run it along side the larger feed line.  For the life of me I could not figure out where to bolt that thing.  I went on this site and in 5 min had a picture from Chris's car.  He has put many up close photos out there, and I thank him.  :icon_smile_big:

When I bought my Air Chamber some people wondered how I would work on the car?  See picture below.

In ending I can say why it's worth it to keep this car and fix all it's needs.  After I hooked the return line system up I went to take it for a ride.  In my travels a State cop that saw me drive by before saw me coming back.  He walked out in the road and stopped traffic on both sides, he then pointed to me and I drove up slow and he said " what year is that car? "  I said 69 charger R/T with pride.  He said  I'm 51 and I can appreciate a car like that.  I said I'm 53 tomorrow this has always been my dream car, I live up the road stop by.  He said he will, and once again I know selling the vette to buy this was the right thing to do.  :coolgleamA:  :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

Yeah Rob , but Id rather have a 69 Valiant than a Vette.  :coolgleamA:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on May 09, 2009, 11:43:25 AM
Your to funny.  That big block conv was a great car, but to snobby for me.

Happy to report no electrical issues outside of sticky amp gauge and floating tach, and the car fired up after sitting and heating up.  I hope that did the hard to start when hot trick. If not then next item will be intake gaskets with the heat cross over bypass closed.

Steve P.

Quote from: 1hot68 on May 09, 2009, 11:43:25 AM

I think I just pee'd a little.....       :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

lexxman

Ya, I like alot of cars.But number one on my list is my 69 charger,and when I tell people what car I'm restoring I love the reaction I get from them.(cool :coolgleamA: ,wow :drool5:)
A vette doesn't even make the top 10.

1969chargerrtse

Tonight I installed the gasket for the upper and lower flange area for the filler pipe.  Good news is I put them on and the trim ring no longer sits on paint even though I never had an issue. 

Bad news is the gas cap no longer snaps open.  I guess with the filler pipe a little lower due to the gaskets the spring tension on the pop cap is reduced.  Oh well.  :eek2:

69*F5*SE

Hemidog

Hum, haven't installed mine yet, maybe it will settle? Old foam gaskets looks like pancakes...

1969chargerrtse

I'm thinking about removingg black thicker one under the rear 1/4/?  Not a biggie.

Steve P.

I would think the one underneath is a seal to keep out and spillage.    :shruggy:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Steve P. on May 10, 2009, 11:54:07 AM
I would think the one underneath is a seal to keep out and spillage.    :shruggy:
Yea I agree but I never had one before, and I don't ever fill it all the way.  I'll probably leave it as is.

Drove the car a lot today with no issues.   :boogie: