News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Musicman

Your doing one heck of a job there friend, that really looks great :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Can't wait to see the finished product :popcrn:

roger440

1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner - SOLD
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1970 Triumph 2000 Estate, fitted Rover V8
1961 Standard Atlas
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester

1969chargerrtse

Well I have some problems.  Bottom line I should of painted over the whole old stripe.  On both ends there is some of the old black stripe coming through cutting off the gap near the pin stripe.  I did a fantastic job on the blending, painting, clearing, sanding and buffing and I'm not looking forward to doing it all over so what I think I will do is just redo the lower section and blend the clear under the wide stripe.  I can't move the strip down any lower as then the side stripe will be off.  I have to redo the trunk stripe also as I don't like the way it came out.  I'm leaving it on for now and after I do the sides, and when those are done I'll order a center stripe and redo it.  Looks cool finally seeing the V tape.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

O.k, so for the lower old painted pin stripe showing through on the deck lid  It's not to big a deal as more than likely I'll just redo the lower part of the deck lid and blend the clear under the wide tape stripe.  Either way no regrets as it's 100 times better than the straight painted stripe that was on there.
On the sides, I shot the color and was disappointed to find the orange single stage didn't cover the black painted pin stripe well.  I would have to add too many coats for cover and being so close to the original paint edge and hiding it under a 3/8 stripe, It wouldn't be the best way to go.  I'm going to use the same primer I used for the R/T hole filler covering on the side.  In other words a quick sanding of the single stage I just shot and then shoot the primer, sand and repaint the single stage.  I feel like all I've been doing since I bought this car is working on it.  Kinda getting tired of it, all work little play.  So I'm in no rush.  Updates, whenever.
Oh and for you big hard core Mopar guys, chill out I don't blame the car. I bought it sight unseen with little Mopar knowledge and I just have a lot to correct to get it to my standards. Heck sometimes I actually enjoy working on it, but I always enjoy and take pride in the things I've done to make it look more original.

Below is a picture of how the orange doesn't cover well without a sealer or primer.  I started to sand down the primer and smooth it out on the seam wear the 3/8 stripe will be, must say it came out nice.

Everytime I see the backend with what looks like a white stripe, I kinda like it.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Well, I made a stupid mistake and rushed the job and forgot to mask off my paint area in the proper location.  Instead of my paint line being under the outer pin stripes I painted it out into the original clear coat area. :brickwall:  :P  My fault, and stupid.  I was so upset at the time I told the wife I had it and if she minded if I listed the car for the original 30,000.00 I paid and called it a day and closed the hobby shop?  She said no and relax take a step away etc...  I worked hard sanding down the wrong sprayed area and then I put on the side stripe to see how it would look.  I ordered a new set so I expected to pull them off anyway.  Hey, not to bad.  From 2 ft away it's great, and I was looking for a 3 footer overall.  I called a friend to run it up his house to show him, but he had just registered his GTO Clone Conv so we met at a DD and I snapped a few.  Being with someone else (as I'm normally alone in my hobby ) It was extremely refreshing to hook up with another car guy,  plus I got lots of  :2thumbs: on the road to meet him and back home.  So It's a keeper.  I'm thinking about sanding the rear panel stripe area completely and hitting it with base coat, and then burning clear in.  I'm trying to get more info about that now.  What do think?  Up close are some flaws but overall I love it.  I couldn't get the R/T to lay straighter has I was limited to the original strip pattern.  No regrets, I like it. 

jb666

I wouldn't change a thing, I think it looks great!!!  :cheers: Don't be so hard on yourself.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Back N Black

I say sell it before you have an Heart attack over this car! Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.  :nana:

1969chargerrtse

Thanks everyone, it really looks nice.
I hear ya guys, it's just that I've been through so much and it seems never ending. :shruggy:  The fact my rear main leaks after a 4,000.00 rebuild really bothers me.  Now my gas tank leaks, but I was going to replace it anyway.  I have to re do the tach and clock, and I'm not looking forward to removing the steering shaft and dash pod again.  The dash wood that doesn't match that I was told comes in a match set? and cost a fortune, bla bla bla stuff wears you down.  The stripe does look good though.

y3chargerrt

Relax Rob it looks a million times better then before!

Hemidog

TUFCAT

Quote from: jb666 on April 25, 2009, 02:02:56 PM
I wouldn't change a thing, I think it looks great!!!  :cheers: Don't be so hard on yourself.

You took the words right out of my mouth. The outcome of this job is impressive.  :cheers:

Just think Rob, this all stated with me telling you to paint that glossy tail panel :icon_smile_wink: (....actually, that bugged me more than the stripe).

The car looks great now. Good job!

So okay,...now that you've tackled the biggest thing on your pet peave list --  what's next?  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Thanks so much guys.  Next is the gas tank, straps, etc...  It would be nice to have more than a 1/4 tank of gas ( it leaks ).  ::)
I still can't believe I did it.  :woohoo:

The big thing to do is sand the whole area back there, and repaint and blend the clear.  Then I can put the stripes exactly wear the belong rather than within the old paint stripe area.

And yes TUFCAT you started the idea rolling. 

1969chargerrtse

Well, this morning I did the driver side and it came out MINT!  I have to retouch up the trunk and then replace the stripe and we are done.  It came out so good I'm not going to redo the whole thing and blend in the clear.  It looks fine as it is.  WERE DONE!

69*F5*SE

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on April 26, 2009, 12:03:22 PM
Looks kickass  :2thumbs:  You're a very lucky man.   :yesnod:
Thanks. I'd like to believe skill played some part in it?  Trust me, I thought it out and thought it out and then, thought about it some more, before I hit that gloss paint with SANDPAPER!   :icon_smile_big:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 26, 2009, 11:53:40 AM
Well, this morning I did the driver side and it came out MINT!  I have to retouch up the trunk and then replace the stripe and we are done.  It came out so good I'm not going to redo the whole thing and blend in the clear.  It looks fine as it is.  WERE DONE!

In the infinite words of Rambo...."Nothing is OVER!!"  Live by those words my friend. 
because I know you love these.....  DAMHIK
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chris G.

Great work Rob!!  :cheers:

I want to see it in Carlisle. You will regret it if you don't bring it.  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Thanks guys, I'm going through that "I don't want to deal with going to Carlisle " thing again.   :slap:  I know.
I Took it to my favorite cruise night again and parked next to one of those things with the big spoiler thingy on the back.  :icon_smile_wink:

TUFCAT

I trailered mine to Carlise from Michigan...and it was no big deal.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on April 26, 2009, 07:09:16 PM
I know but money is tight.  We went for a loan for the Nursing program ( 20,000.00 ) and the same banks that took our federal dollars to help stay alive told us no.  Just to enjoy driving it I have to do the tank and straps and liner and what ever, it just keeps adding up.  I just don't want to have to rent a truck and trailer and whatever,  I really enjoy just going to my little cruise on Sundays just up the road, but we'll see.

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 26, 2009, 07:24:03 PM
I know but money is tight.  We went for a loan for the Nursing program ( 20,000.00 ) and the same banks that took our federal dollars to help stay alive told us no.  Just to enjoy driving it I have to do the tank and straps and liner and what ever, it just keeps adding up.  I just don't want to have to rent a truck and trailer and whatever,  I really enjoy just going to my little cruise on Sundays just up the road, but we'll see.

I totally understand money is tight. Just think if your income was tied to an automotive supplier base like many of us here in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and all the other automotive producing states across the midwest and Canada. :scratchchin:

No carlisle for me this year and (pretty much) for the same reasons. When the Michigan economy comes back to work from people buying American cars again, maybe guys like me will have money to do stuff. Until then, lots of nice cars will stay in garages. :'(  That's the way we roll (unfortunately) here in Detroit.  :icon_smile_angry: 

Sorry for the high-jack but I'm tired of hearing about guys affected by the economy who don't realize how bad Michigan has suffered from people buying non American cars.  Rob lives in Connecticut and owns a Honda Pilot.  I'm like Rob. I just can't spend the money for Carlisle this year.  I also can't spend my hard earned Michigan based salary to travel to a non-Michigan show either, nor buy a non-American made automobile for that matter.  My Coronet would sit and rot to the ground before I ever owned a Japanese car parked next to it.

Friends, I respect Rob. He's a really good guy who contributes to this board and owns a very nice Charger. In fact, he's put tons of money, pride, blood, sweat, tears, and dedication into his AMERICAN MADE car to make it very nice. He's also documented his progress for us. I've had the pleasure of talking to him on the phone and (anybody here) would envy his automotive knowledge. But, I'm called TUFCAT for a reason. If you tell me the economy is sucking for you...and I'm gonna tell you why.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

You guys can hate me right now , or love me.  I really don't care what you think.  My closest relatives and friends are out of work so I really don't care what anybody thinks about my rant about the economy.  :flame:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on April 26, 2009, 08:00:32 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 26, 2009, 07:24:03 PM

I totally understand money is tight. Just think if your income was tied to an automotive supplier base like many of us here in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and all the other automotive producing states accross the midwest and Canada. :scratchchin:

No carlisle for me this year and (pretty much) for the same reasons. When the Michigan economy comes back to work from people buying American cars again, maybe guys like me will have money to do stuff. Until then, lots of nice cars will stay in garages. :'(  That's the way we roll (unfortunately) here in Detroit.  :icon_smile_angry: 

Sorry for the high-jack but I'm tired of hearing about guys affected by the economy who don't realize how bad Michigan has suffered from people buying non American cars.  Rob lives in Connecticut and owns a Honda Pilot.  I'm like Rob. I just can't spend the money for Carlisle this year.  I also can't spend my hard earned Michigan based salary to travel to a non-Michigan show either, nor buy a non-American made automobile for that matter! My Coronet would sit and rot before I owned a Japenese car parked next to it.

Friends, I respect Rob. He's a really good guy who contributes to this board and owns a very nice Charger, In fact, he's put tons of money, pride, blood, sweat, tears, and dedication into his AMERICAN MADE car to make it very nice. But I'm called TUFCAT for a reason. If you tell me the economy is sucking for you....I'm gonna tell you why.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

You guys can hate me right now , or love me.  I really don't care what you think.  My closest relatives and friends are out of work so I really don't care what anybody thinks about my rant. 

Wow, well I would love to discuss this on another thread so follow me to Car Guys discussion.  Bad times and not buying American, your thoughts?

mopar_nut_440_6

Great job Rob well worth the effort. Your car is looking really good! I love those 69 R/T stripes and the orange paint!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude