News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Back N Black on March 16, 2009, 04:20:17 PM
Did you paint the dash when the windshield was removed?  :D
Nope, I took Brian's advise which was if your not redoing the VIN tag also don't do it.  The original dash is o.k.  Not new, not old.  I did do the steering shaft and dash sides with the dash paint.  I though about doing the dash many times, but I took Brian's advise.  Right Brian?  :icon_smile_wink:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Brock Samson

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 16, 2009, 04:25:39 PM
Quote from: Corellian Corvette on March 16, 2009, 04:09:49 PM
Dude I have to tell you, I feel your pain. I've been working on my car for almost 3 years - and the ENTIRE car is filled with stories like yours. two steps forward, one step back.

I have restored 5 classic cars from a variety of different makes - the Charger has been the car that has fought me the whole way. Every single little thing has been a challenge, even the most simple detail. Some days I belived the car is cursed and was actively trying to prevent me from getting it back on the road...  :brickwall:

So I'm there with you. It's about patience. Walk away - tackle one problem at a time. It will get better.  :coolgleamA:
Wow, well said that's how I feel at times.  Exactly my story, thanks for sharing.  I hope were on the upswing.  :2thumbs:

It's just the Goddess Ma Mopar - Frackin with you guys for freakin with those   :hah: Chebbies.

1969chargerrtse

I see it this way, truly.  If you won the lottery and could buy all the SuperBirds you wanted to, you wouldn't appreciated them as much as if you saved every dollar and sweat-ed every drop to restore it correct.  That's how I feel when I drive this car.  I never see another 69 charger near me, and I know how beautiful it is and what money, time and stress It took to get it there and that's why  feel so privileged to be cruising in it. I know it's stunning inside and out and I'm proud to be a part of that.  By the way, I LOVE the now correct color rear. :2thumbs:  Thanks for the idea TuffCat.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 16, 2009, 04:36:14 PM
I see it this way, truly.  If you won the lottery and could buy all the SuperBirds you wanted to, you wouldn't appreciated them as much as if you saved every dollar and sweat-ed every drop to restore it correct.  That's how I feel when I drive this car.  I never see another 69 charger near me, and I know how beautiful it is and what money, time and stress It took to get it there and that's why  feel so privileged to be cruising in it. I know it's stunning inside and out and I'm proud to be a part of that.  By the way, I LOVE the now correct color rear. :2thumbs:  Thanks for the idea TuffCat.

Rob,

Another piece of advice I will offer to you,is:

When you are wicked pissed at your car for kickin' your arse,Step away from the keyboard and calm down. As Ive said many times before ,you are far along in life enuf to know to be patient and things will go WAY better!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 16, 2009, 04:43:09 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 16, 2009, 04:36:14 PM
I see it this way, truly.  If you won the lottery and could buy all the SuperBirds you wanted to, you wouldn't appreciated them as much as if you saved every dollar and sweat-ed every drop to restore it correct.  That's how I feel when I drive this car.  I never see another 69 charger near me, and I know how beautiful it is and what money, time and stress It took to get it there and that's why feel so privileged to be cruising in it. I know it's stunning inside and out and I'm proud to be a part of that.  By the way, I LOVE the now correct color rear. :2thumbs:  Thanks for the idea TuffCat.

Rob,

Another piece of advice I will offer to you,is:

When you are wicked pissed at your car for kicking' your arse,Step away from the keyboard and calm down. As Ive said many times before ,you are far along in life enuf to know to be patient and things will go WAY better!
Yep I hear you and agree.  I actually went back and erased a few comments :hah:.  I can't get a handle on why this car is so stressful to me, I can only think the 40 year wait has something to do with it.  The Chargers are just something that only charger lovers and owners can understand.  There's been no love greater, and no pain greater than how this car has effected me ( in the car world ).  Family and health have to be first, that's why I did walk away, but we are what we are and I have no regrets for sharing my love and frustrations here.  We be like Family. :2thumbs:  Well kinda.  :icon_smile_wink:

P.S The frustrations are justified, I still have items that I paid for that don't work or parts that are not top quality.  I'm just giving up.  :eek2:

Green71R/T

I hear your frustration.When I was doing my 71 I was continually frustrated by people I paid top dollar for the work I wanted them to do.I used a lot of my customers(I do towing) and never asked for a special deal but some of them just did  poor work for me even though the reason I was using them was I knew the quality of work they could do.Needless to say,some of them will never get another referral from me again. That said,I also got some great service from others -Rick from Rick's Racing Transmissions,Jason from Mr. Touch Up,Laurence from Western Corvette,Mike from Aristocrat Upholstery.My current project (67 Belvedere)will be mostly done by me(except body & paint) because at least if something is not to my satisfaction I can only blame myself.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Green71R/T on March 16, 2009, 07:25:44 PM
I hear your frustration.When I was doing my 71 I was continually frustrated by people I paid top dollar for the work I wanted them to do.I used a lot of my customers(I do towing) and never asked for a special deal but some of them just did poor work for me even though the reason I was using them was I knew the quality of work they could do.Needless to say,some of them will never get another referral from me again. That said,I also got some great service from others -Rick from Rick's Racing Transmissions,Jason from Mr. Touch Up,Laurence from Western Corvette,Mike from Aristocrat Upholstery.My current project (67 Belvedere)will be mostly done by me(except body & paint) because at least if something is not to my satisfaction I can only blame myself.
Yes, thank you.  I hate looking like the bad guy because I'm so totally frustrated with poor service and parts.  I know what I know and will advise when appropriate.  I could make a list so flippin long about all the incorrect things I have been forced to deal with.  And what really gets my goat is times are hard right now, money is tight and I just spent over 3,000.00 in total in this interior and truly to me, to my standards, to what I would do for others if I was restoring their car, shameful. 

On the lighter side I wanted to post something that warmed my heart.  If you read from the beginning there is a story how my Mom came to the Dodge dealer while feeling sick to see the new 69 Charger in the showroom.  I was only 14 and had Charger pictures all over my bed room walls.  I begged her to buy the new Charger but Dad wanted a new Chevelle and Mom said it was to big.   Well I swung by her house on my little cruise today and showed her the car from the house window.  She and I were just drooling over how sharp looking it was from our view.  We talked about this and that and when I was leaving this 73 year old lady got up came to the front door and said " I'm going to watch you leave "  How precious is that?  I just laughed, O.K Mom.  Coming from a Dad, wife and kids that have no interest in cars, that made my day and I wanted to share it.

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 16, 2009, 07:46:32 PM

On the lighter side I wanted to post something that warmed my heart.  If you read from the beginning there is a story how my Mom came to the Dodge dealer while feeling sick to see the new 69 Charger in the showroom.  I was only 14 and had Charger pictures all over my walls.  I begged her to buy the new Charger but Dad wanted a new Chevelle and Mom said it was to big.   Well I swung by her house on my little cruise today and showed her the car from the house window.  She and I were just drooling over how sharp looking it was from our view.  We talked about this and that and when I was leaving this 73 year old lady got up came to the front door and said " I'm going to watch you leave "  How precious is that?  I just laughed, O.K Mom.  Coming from a Dad, wife and kids that have no interest in cars, that made my day and I wanted to share it.

Hmm, :scratchchin:  So this is all her fault?  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Take another drive to Mom's with the Charger tomorrow ....but this time BE PISSED!!!  :eek2:

When she looks at the car, tell her "if you bought me a car like this 40 years ago you'd save me LOTS OF STRESS NOW!!!"   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Obviously,  I'm just kidding  :icon_smile_wink:  ...or am I? :naughty:

chargerkid01

Rob,
you don't look like a bad guy!! I know how much of a pain in the ass it is some times. My charger was suppose to be a project for me, my Father, and Grandfather. So far me, grandma, and grandpa has done all the wrenching and parts buying besides a few hours put in by a couple of my friends, Frank Rogers(metal work), and my fiance. I went to live with my grandparents when I was 3 because my mom and dad split. The charger was suppose to be some thing us three guys could spend time together doing, especially me and my dad. yeah right :shruggy: that is the most frustrating thing ever!!! I know how you feel!!

Tuffcat,
I like your post some times I blame my grandma for the project charger instead of something that was already done. ;D When I was 8 I found a charger that was 95% done still a project but less of what I have now and I wasn't aloud to buy it. oh well I still have a charger!!

1969chargerrtse

So here's an odd funny thing.  I get into the Charger this morning to make a coffee run, I shut the car door and all of a sudden the clock rolls back a bit (starting procedure) and then swings clockwise and it's been working ever since?  Ha ha.  The car runs great, the new interior and windshield really bring the car to almost new condition.  I have to post a interior shot soon.   I was planning on pulling the clock and rebuilding myself anyway.  Oh well, springs sprung, lets cruise.
I'm happy to say Mike got back to me, he said send it back anytime and he'll be happy to replace it. Cool.

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 21, 2009, 08:34:12 AM
I shut the car door and all of a sudden the clock rolls back a bit (starting procedure) and then swings clockwise and it's been working ever since? 

Maybe that was part of the instructions? :shruggy:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 21, 2009, 08:52:09 PM
I shut the car door and all of a sudden the clock rolls back a bit (starting procedure) and then swings clockwise and it's been working ever since? 

Maybe that was part of the instructions? :shruggy:
:hah: I gotta find page 2 then , because it stopped at 1:32.  But it was a good run until then. Weird. :eek2:

jb666

This thread is an inspiration and an excellent resource. Thanks for taking all of the detailed pictures -- You have done some amazing work and should be proud!! You have a Hell of a car!!!  :cheers: :cheers:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: jb666 on March 22, 2009, 10:27:02 AM
This thread is an inspiration and an excellent resource. Thanks for taking all of the detailed pictures -- You have done some amazing work and should be proud!! You have a Hell of a car!!!  :cheers: :cheers:
Hey thanks!  I really enjoy taking the pictures and listed everthing whether it be bad or good.  I hope to print out every page for my own diary of the car one day.
I did a lot of riding around today, Man 40 years later and it's still one of the nicest looking cars on the road.  In my opinion of course.  :icon_smile_big:

jb666

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 22, 2009, 05:03:13 PM
Hey thanks!  I really enjoy taking the pictures and listed everthing whether it be bad or good.  I hope to print out every page for my own diary of the car one day.
I did a lot of riding around today, Man 40 years later and it's still one of the nicest looking cars on the road.  In my opinion of course.  :icon_smile_big:

You've got that right!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad you stayed with your dream. I can tell how much this car means to you and the value it has to you, personally!!

Do you have any hi-res shots of your car you could email me? It'd make a great wallpaper picture!!

JB666@comcast.net

:cheers: :cheers:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: jb666 on March 22, 2009, 05:09:10 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 22, 2009, 05:03:13 PM

You've got that right!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad you stayed with your dream. I can tell how much this car means to you and the value it has to you, personally!!

Do you have any hi-res shots of your car you could email me? It'd make a great wallpaper picture!!

JB666@comcast.net

:cheers: :cheers:
Gee that's flattering.  I don't.  All the shots are from my Iphone or something similar. I do plan on some nice shots one day with a real camera and then I'll post them and send them.  The orange is much brighter than seen in most shots.  You can get an idea on the engine shot.

69_500

Rob, bring the car to Carlisle. I"ll shoot as many pictures that you want of the car. Free of charge as well.  :nana:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69_500 on March 22, 2009, 05:52:14 PM
Rob, bring the car to Carlisle. I"ll shoot as many pictures that you want of the car. Free of charge as well.  :nana:
I hope to go this year.  Here's the problem, I ain't driving. So this means I have to borrow a trailer and rent a truck.  I hope to do that, but doing it and hoping to do it are 2 different things.  That's a great idea though, I'm sure there will be many cameras there and I can get you or someone to take some nice shots.  Bring a telephoto lens though I like the ones taken far away where it makes the car look cool and stout, beefed up looking.  ;D

chargerkid01

That nice of a car you don't need no far away shots Rob!! I personally like those in your face shots that makes any 2nd generation charger look like it is going to kick ass and take names!!

1969chargerrtse

I'd like to add that Mike called me back today.  He said there is no problem returning the clock at any time and he will do what ever is necessary to make it all work out.  He's even going to build another Tic Toc Tach set up and test it for days and then send it to me.  This way I can rip mine out, send it back to him and have the whole deal done in a Saturday, then send him mine back for a rebuild which he will keep.  He was explaining all the test he does to make sure the tach is smooth and correct.  He said there was a bad bunch of clock units at one time, but what happened there was the second hand would move but not the large needles.  Anyway it's nice to know he backs his stuff.

1969chargerrtse

Well today was a boring damp wet Sunday.  My car is toasty dry in it's Air Chamber, and I recommend one if you have a damp issue in your garage.  Being bored ( as the car is together and running ) I started to think what I could do next?  So I took the stripe kit out and studied how I would apply it, seeing I have a painted stripe already there?  The great fantastic news is the factory stripe is wider than my stripe.  My odd ( what else is new? ) problem is that the pin stripe is "sucken " in the paint.  I've never seen anything like that?  :shruggy:  So what I have to do is sand down the entire stripe low enough to flatten out the sunken area.  I think this will be good in the long run as I have to add paint on the paint and I don't want my new paint to high above the original paint or It'll probably show under the stripe.
Also If and when I get the sides done, you can see I'll have to do the same for the trunk and go with the V'd correct stripe and blend the orange.

1969chargerrtse

Well tomorrow's the big day.  I have what I need to sand down the painted on stripe , fill in the emblem holes, paint and lay the new tape.  I'm nervous and excited about doing this.  The 2nd great news is I'm pretty sure this car is Base coat/clear coat, that meaning I will sand paint and blend the deck lid myself.  My car should look correct soon with the tape stripe and V'd deck lid.  I'll post detail pictures as I go along, should take me a couple days, week, whatever.  Pictures start tomorrow.  Wish me luck. :2thumbs:  :icon_smile:

69bronzeT5

Oh hell...just stick the 01 and flag on already Rob! :icon_smile_big: Just kidding...good luck :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on April 04, 2009, 05:43:08 PM
Oh hell...just stick the 01 and flag on already Rob! :icon_smile_big: Just kidding...good luck :2thumbs:
Thanks. I probably should, I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Yee ha" yelled from someone as I was driving by.  ::)

mopar73

So here's an odd funny thing.  I get into the Charger this morning to make a coffee run, I shut the car door and all of a sudden the clock rolls back a bit (starting procedure) and then swings clockwise and it's been working ever since?  Ha ha.  The car runs great, the new interior and windshield really bring the car to almost new condition.  I have to post a interior shot soon.   I was planning on pulling the clock and rebuilding myself anyway.  Oh well, springs sprung, lets cruise.
I'm happy to say Mike got back to me, he said send it back anytime and he'll be happy to replace it. Cool.
Sweet Ride  :2thumbs:  My 73 has gremlins like that, hopefully when the rebuild is done all will be gone :smilielol: I used to have to slap the top of the dash to get the right side of the dash lights to work.  It was kind of entertaining to show off to friends.  Just pretend your the Fonz slapping the jukebox to get the music to play ;D