News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

How about seeing if dave willl sell you just the center section of a Coronet stripe...he does sell just pieces of the stripe
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on March 14, 2009, 05:53:31 AM
How about seeing if dave willl sell you just the center section of a Coronet stripe...he does sell just pieces of the stripe
Dang, 7,000+ post :o  Ummm.  Yea That's someting I would do. 
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 13, 2009, 09:32:31 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 13, 2009, 08:54:22 PM
Well I got the stripe kit today.  The great news is it is about a 1/4" wider total than what I have painted on.  This means after I fill the emblem holes I can sand down my wide painted stripe and the outer stripes and then smooth it all out, repaint orange and then sand down the edge lines which will be hidden under the outer stripes and lay down the complete decal.  I'll make sure this weekend after I do my dash work that I have the stripe dry laid and 100% positive this will work.  If it does I'll move on to the the other side, and then decide how to handle the trunk.  I laid the V'd stripe over my straight stripe and there is not to much variation.  I'm going to look into blending the variation into what's already there.  If not I can get another trunk and respray that and hope it matches and then lay down the V'd stripe , or worst case lay down the straight Coronet trunk stripe and be almost 100% correct.  We shall see.  This will take me a good amount of time but I look forward to the emblems gone and the cutout R/T on my sides.  Pictures as always coming soon.

That's great Rob! You can always choose to have your decklid repainted at a later date if the V'd stripe doesn't work. For now, the straight across tape stripe will look very nice in leau of paint.   
I'll probably buy the Coronet stripe and lay that down.  Then buy a trunk lid to be safe, spray and match that with the V stripe and then keep the original deck lid or resell it.  This way at worst case I have the matching orange deck lid with a straight stripe. 
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Small side note.  I was reading the worlds best "installing a stripe " thread.      http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,29293.0.html
and it reminded me that the stripe needs to be done in warm weather, around 70* so I may not tackle this for a while.

Charger-Bodie

Rob,

You do realize that buying a trunk lid having it body worked and painted , You will be spending almost as much as making what you already have  "right".
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 14, 2009, 07:28:36 AM
Rob,

You do realize that buying a trunk lid having it body worked and painted , You will be spending almost as much as making what you already have  "right".
Right now, what I realize is that I'm not putting a penny more into this money hole.  I just got through completing the interior and as with the entire time of owning this car it was a sad thing at that.  I actually have stress soars on top and bottom of my lips.  You are right Brian, I have bad luck, WITH THIS CAR. 
Let's just talk about the dash, not even the whole interior resto.
I get bad repo wood for the dash. I send it back and pay another 225.00 for a dash bezel as I have a tiny itty bitty split in mine.
I get the new bezel, with the wood attached and the bezel is chromed crappy and incorrect and the wood doesn't lay down so I have to glue it.
I send the dash pod out to have it restored.  I get it back and the tach and clock don't work?  Maybe I hooked it up wrong?
He takes it back rebuilds both and checks it twice.  I install the pod today and the tach works and so does the clock. FOR 1 1/2 MINS!  The clock dies again?  Well the stupid thing can stay that way.  My brother in law paints over my steering shaft chips ( I have to redo it after paying him ), the new dash wood which I'm told is sold "As a set" doesn't match, as the glove box wood is darker.
I take the new R/T stripe out of the box, lay it on my trunk and there's a tear, or deep crimp in the smack center of the V'd stripe.  I paid 4,000 to rebuild the motor, AND IT LEAKS!  the PS leaks, anti freeze is coming out of the exhaust bolts, AND I ALREADY REMOVED THEM AND RE DID THEM A 2ND TIME.  On and on and on.  I'm really sick of it.  It's destroying the love I used to have for the hobby.  Monday I have the windshield coming in, lets see what screws up that day.  Sure would be nice to take a ride after spending over 45,000.00 for this thing.
The stripe is the last thing on my mind, in fact I'm not gonna gamble doing it.  let it stay as it is and I'll hope they will replace the center stripe and I'll resell it. You're right.  Bad luck.
I'm thinking I'll never get my money back unless it burns to the ground, and with the stupid crabby electrical system in it that may happen.  Right now it can sit in it's toasty little bubble.  You can never say I didn't give a 100% for taking care of this car.

Funny how  1 1/2 years ago I came on this site upset about the issues with this car, and nothing has changed.  :shruggy:  I tried, I really did but lifes to short for this stress.  You won't see me in PA this year again, The car and hobby is not worth it to me.  I don't blame "the car" for all the issues, but lifes to short for this stress.  Time to take a break.

tan top

:scope: ........... :yesnod:  nice job on the dash !! looks real nice  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TUFCAT

I agree....that dash looks awesome.

Taking a break from the car is a good idea. 

It may not be fun anymore because of the time you're spending. You've done lots of work in a short period.

Red Ram

"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

1969chargerrtse

Thanks guys but come on?  After 800.00 in dash trim, should the ring around the large gauges be plated incorrect?  Should the dash wood over the glove box be darker than the radio wood?  I pointed it out to my 14 year old son and he said, yea I see it.  After the 2,000.00 plus in the dash restoration alone and sending stuff back and waiting again and finally just installing everything, to be left with a non working clock, poor chromed dash bezel and a piece of wood that's a tint off is frustrating?
So I can't blame the "car", but....  It should at least look nice.  Thanks again.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 14, 2009, 03:52:49 PM
I agree....that dash looks awesome.

Taking a break from the car is a good idea. 

It may not be fun anymore because of the time you're spending. You've done lots of work in a short period.

I really really can appreciate the greatness these cars were in their time.  They really did a fantastic job in making the parts and building the car.  You are the envy of the world to have something "original".
Yeah I did a lot in a short time.  I paid out a lot to let the pros do their job, so is it fair that 1 year later I have to find out where the oil, PS,and antifreeze leaks are coming from?  No.

The70RT

Rob I feel for you. Sorry nothings going right. It seems almost every thing you have serviced or buy anymore is either defective or poorly constructed. I hope all my guages work since I was in a group buy and got somewhat of a deal but won't know till my car is completed.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: The70RT on March 14, 2009, 05:18:34 PM
Rob I feel for you. Sorry nothings going right. It seems almost every thing you have serviced or buy anymore is either defective or poorly constructed. I hope all my gauges work since I was in a group buy and got somewhat of a deal but won't know till my car is completed.
Yeah thanks.  "seems almost every thing you have serviced or buy anymore is either defective or poorly constructed"  How true, and what about service period?  The stories I can tell you about terrible service.  Like the time I put struts on my GM pick up and had 4 new tires put on and then had it aligned.  I told them I just put the struts on and the caster camber needed to be done along with the toe in/out.  I waited an hour in the waiting room for the alignment.  1 month later the tires were worn and cupping.  I brought the truck back and showed them and explained what I did and needed done.  Come to find out while I was waiting the hour the employee never touched the truck?  They redid it and gave me 2 new tires.  A 2nd time it happened with my minivan (different place).  No wrench marks on the tie rod ends?  They refunded me.  Freaking lazy incompetent slobs out there, everywhere.  I'm sure there are 100 more stories.  ::)
I service elevators and now I know why my customers love me, I do my job.

I'd like to add Mike did a great job in rebuilding the dash pod.  When the clock didn't work he took it right back installed a new electronic unit and sent it back with free shipping, apologizing for the issue and said he checked it twice and then again.  I connected the clock and it worked, I went in the house and came right back out and it was stopped?  I put a tester on the wire and it's hot?  To flippin bad, let it stay that way, and chalk it up to more wasted money.

chargerkid01

Ok I'll trade you my project charger for yours!!! I'd love to have a charger that little frustrating problems are all thats wrong, I'm building mine from he gound up!! Talk about a headache. Just take a break from it drink a beer and calm down. Then go out look over the problem and fix it after you sober up!! :cheers: Don't worry you have an awsome charger and remember it is a 40 year old car that is getting a lot of new stuff, time may have changed colors and as for chrome anymore nothing is chromed good!!

Charger-Bodie

You have something ALOT of people only wish they had.....A 69 Dodge Charger!! Quit whining and enjoy it or pass it on to someone who will!!  :brickwall:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

chargerkid01

:iagree: I was just trying to say it a nicer and more joking way!!

charger_cody

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 16, 2009, 08:32:51 AM
You have something ALOT of people only wish they had.....A 69 Dodge Charger!! Quit whining and enjoy it or pass it on to someone who will!!  :brickwall:

well one, i dont want a 69 charger. i want a 73. i have a 73. and quit trying to talk him out of selling or "giving" his charger away. He will finish it. he is just taking a break from all of the anoying little probems. Then one weekend he will go to the strip and be like man, i would look good going down that track in my orange 69 charger with those fancy sunglasses.  :coolgleamA: :drive: :vert:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: charger_cody on March 16, 2009, 09:22:34 AM
Quote from: 1hot68 on March 16, 2009, 08:32:51 AM

well one, i dont want a 69 charger. i want a 73. i have a 73. and quit trying to talk him out of selling or "giving" his charger away. He will finish it. he is just taking a break from all of the anoying little probems. Then one weekend he will go to the strip and be like man, i would look good going down that track in my orange 69 charger with those fancy sunglasses.  :coolgleamA: :drive: :vert:

I suppose your right!   :slap:

1969chargerrtse

I'm cool.  The glass guy will be here in 5 min's.  I'm looking forward to a coffee cruise.  Sorry about the complaints, in my old age I'm becoming less torable, and have way to sharp of an eye.  I really miss the clock not working, one reason is I paid for it ( no return call yet from Mike ) and 2 it's like a heart beat to me.  Frustrated or not, I pulled it out yesterday (before the polishing) and walked in the house and said to the wife, problems or not that is one awesome and beautiful car.  :2thumbs:  Worlds coolest car,  :coolgleamA: and I blame nothing on it as a Dodge, but from the people and parts of today.  Very proud to own it.

charger_cody

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 16, 2009, 11:19:54 AM
I'm cool.  The glass guy will be here in 5 min's.  I'm looking forward to a coffee cruise.  Sorry about the complaints, in my old age I'm becoming less torable, and have way to sharp of an eye.  I really miss the clock not working, one reason is I paid for it ( no return call yet from Mike ) and 2 it's like a heart beat to me.  Frustrated or not, I pulled it out yesterday (before the polishing) and walked in the house and said to the wife, problems or not that is one awesome and beautiful car.  :2thumbs:  Worlds coolest car,  :coolgleamA: and I blame nothing on it as a Dodge, but from the people and parts of today.  Very proud to own it.

OMG, guess who was right again, besides the whole "him going to the strip to think of him in his charger"  :hah:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: charger_cody on March 16, 2009, 02:48:15 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 16, 2009, 11:19:54 AM

OMG, guess who was right again, besides the whole "him going to the strip to think of him in his charger"  :hah:

go back and check out the rest of this thread and see just how many times youve been "Right" !  Rob hates this car more often than he likes it! Read the entire thread before you start pumping your chest there Junior. :slap:

Also I'd like to add that: If you would take the advice given to you when you ask it, alot of these problems could have been avoided! Right Rob?

Corellian Corvette

Dude I have to tell you, I feel your pain. I've been working on my car for almost 3 years - and the ENTIRE car is filled with stories like yours. two steps forward, one step back.

I have restored 5 classic cars from a variety of different makes - the Charger has been the car that has fought me the whole way. Every single little thing has been a challenge, even the most simple detail. Some days I belived the car is cursed and was actively trying to prevent me from getting it back on the road...  :brickwall:

So I'm there with you. It's about patience. Walk away - tackle one problem at a time. It will get better.  :coolgleamA:

1969chargerrtse

O.K simmer down boys.  I don't agree that if you read the whole thread it looks like I hate it more than love it, my main frustration is the parts I bought, or some of the work I paid others to do.  I also take in a lot of advise and sometimes do things I think would be best, sometimes that doesn't work out best most times it does, either way I always appreciate your advise Brian as you be one smart cookie.  :icon_smile_big: As Chris would say, Anywhoooo, The windshield went in and I'm happy to report he did a nice job.  I did notice the Pilkington glass which I was told was as original in thickness, is not.  The original is about 1/4" thick whereas the new glass was closer to 3/16th.  I think this is the reason the rubber zipped up so easy.
I took my first ride in what seems like an eternity.  Hopefully now that all the major re restorations are done in the engine compartment and now the interior I can have it to appreciate and drive at will.  I don't mind redoing leaks and things, but I hope it is never ever again sitting for 3 to 6 months.  Today was a great cruise at that and I felt like a million bucks.  Of course the clock still doesn't work and the tach is incorrect and fluctuates up and down around 400 rpm, but putting the small stuff behind me, what a beautiful car.  A true American Muscle car classic.  Here's my coffee run shots.  1969 Charger R/T SE, Oh yea baby.

Back N Black

Did you paint the dash when the windsheild was removed?  :D

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on March 16, 2009, 04:09:49 PM
Dude I have to tell you, I feel your pain. I've been working on my car for almost 3 years - and the ENTIRE car is filled with stories like yours. two steps forward, one step back.

I have restored 5 classic cars from a variety of different makes - the Charger has been the car that has fought me the whole way. Every single little thing has been a challenge, even the most simple detail. Some days I believed the car is cursed and was actively trying to prevent me from getting it back on the road...  :brickwall:

So I'm there with you. It's about patience. Walk away - tackle one problem at a time. It will get better.  :coolgleamA:
Wow, well said that's how I feel at times.  Exactly my story, thanks for sharing.  I hope were on the upswing.  :2thumbs:

And it's not just me.  The engine rebuilder that has been doing engines for 40 years said after all the issues my motor gave him, HE CLOSED SHOP!
The balance guy said he never had a balance problem trying to get things in spec as with my parts and was extremely frustrated.  I kid you not.