News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

looks and sounds great glad you didnt give up on her  :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

TUFCAT

:cheers:  I know you've been through hell and back in a short time with your Car.....but  Dude, that's a Great Charger!  I'll give you two very proud thumbs up!   :2thumbs:  Thanks for sharing that little slice of life with us.  :icon_smile_wink:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on May 07, 2008, 09:17:35 PM
:cheers:  I know you've been through hell and back in a short time with your Car.....but  Dude, that's a Great Charger!  I'll give you two very proud thumbs up!   :2thumbs:  Thanks for sharing that little slice life with us.  :icon_smile_wink:
Thanks all, yes I have.   I think ( think )  things are on the upside finally.     :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

tan top

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 07, 2008, 06:27:43 PM
Quote from: tan top on May 07, 2008, 06:19:21 PM
:yesnod: :popcrn: good video  ..sounds good ...... real nice  looking 69 there dude  :2thumbs: .......

starting thing could be fuel evaporating in carb  :scratchchin:
Thanks.  I had a similar problem with a 69 396 camaro.  The carb should of had a metal gasket under the carb to deflex the exhaust passage heat and it didn't so the fuel was boiling in the carb.  This carb sits on the gasket which is about 1/4" thick.  Would that be stock?

well ..funny you should say that ..but i  had a carter AVS  rebuild kit ..i got a 1/4 "ish  thick fiber gasket spacer type thing  as well as be paper type Base gaskets ...  i did not use this  as ... one was not fitted before ..but have seen load of mopars  with AVS 's with this fitted ..even pictures of un restored cars that have sat for decades ... with one fitted  :yesnod: :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

My U tube video sucked, I even called the motor a 340 :slap:.  Here's my newest addition to the internet world, and this time I let the 4 bbl breath. ( almost lost the thing )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jba_lYkzRU
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

tan top

good video ..awesome looking charger .... sounds good  :yesnod: ................... :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69_500

So where were you at Carlisle? No chance of rain any of the days I was there, but I didn't see you. What happened?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69_500 on July 15, 2008, 05:17:57 PM
So where were you at Carlisle? No chance of rain any of the days I was there, but I didn't see you. What happened?
Yea I know.  I did write Chris and Brian ( my good buddy Brian wrote back  :2thumbs: ( Chris  :shruggy:)   )and apologized for not going.  Both those guys were a huge help and answered my calls at their work and home many times.  Well, I say it as it is.  No way was I driving down there at all.  To many past issues to risk it.  My boss sold the trailer I would of borrowed anyway.  I "was" going Saturday but had to work and was very busy that day.  But mostly it's just a been there done that thing for me.  I did Carlisle several times when I was single and had lots of powerful cars.  I just don't have the drive anymore.  Yes I was all pumped up at first and talking of going, but after time pasted I lost the edge.  Sorry Dan I did say I was planning on going :icon_smile_big:.  To prove my point though, this week I'm on vacation, I promised many people that were forced to listen about how the car was coming through the winter years that I would swing by with the car.  Well after waxing it up, today was the day.  I was a little stressed to have her looking good and having a safe trip.  I didn't get 2 miles and the dang voltage regulator started going again and I thought I was going to have to abort the trip.  I plugged on through and it hit several negative charges on the gauge but in the long run the trip was a success.  Backing up why I didn't want to drive down there. Anyway, I came home, dragged one of my anti Muscle car kids out the door and did that silly video.  Man, for a stock motor that sucker really, really takes off.  Forgive me?   :icon_smile_big:  :yesnod:

69_500

Ah just giving you a hard time. Me and both of the Chris' talked about you at the show though if that makes you feel any better. I did drive my Charger over to the show. Only had one small issue, and that is that the brakes started to make a slight grinding noise when I was driving around at Carlisle. I'll look into that this weekend probably. Other than that, the car did fine on the 1,200 mile trip.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Didn't know why you had to apologize for not going...not like you owed me $$ or anything... ;)

PS----at least you got the engine size correct this time :drive:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on July 15, 2008, 08:03:45 PM
Didn't know why you had to apologize for not going...not like you owed me $$ or anything... ;)

PS----at least you got the engine size correct this time :drive:
Sensitive Rob, what else?  I kinda felt I should of went to say Hello and thanks, trust me I dwelled on it many times but just couldn't get myself to make the run.  Plus having to work made it impossible anyway.   :nixon:   Saying the wrong engine size was sooooooooo embarrassing. :slap:

TUFCAT

That thing puts down a lot of rubber!!!  :2thumbs:  Great motor.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on July 15, 2008, 10:00:45 PM
That thing puts down a lot of rubber!!!  :2thumbs:  Great motor.
Thanks. I've had some serious stock machines, but I must say this 440/375 really surprised me of the torque and power.  The 72 454/365 vette I traded for the charger had some power, this thing would fly by it like it was standing still.  What I love about it is I can do things like that and know it's stock and " That's the way it was" back then.

69_500

I gotta admit though that I was hoping for a little bit more rubber burning in the video than just the last 5 seconds or so. Man so much stinking talking and so little action.  :slap:

JK

Car looks great by the way.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69_500 on July 16, 2008, 03:39:29 PM
I gotta admit though that I was hoping for a little bit more rubber burning in the video than just the last 5 seconds or so. Man so much stinking talking and so little action.  :slap:

JK

Car looks great by the way.
Thanks.  Hey, you ever try to make one of those little video's with a tiny camera?  It ain't easy.  To bad the sun was facing the camera when she lit up.  That was a long dual tire burn, and I ain't doing another. :coolgleamA:  Well, maybe not. :icon_smile_big:

TUFCAT

I agrree with 69 500 that the car looks great in your video. I know he was pulling your chain about the holeshot, but man,  I'd certainly be happy with that much rubber for a non modified HP 440 with a 3:23 gear :yesnod:.  Those aren't drag radials - and sure as hell aren't bias ply skinny's either :icon_smile_wink:   It lays rubber and MOVES OUT!  :2thumbs: 

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on July 17, 2008, 09:50:22 PM
I agree with 69 500 that the car looks great in your video. I know he was pulling your chain about the holeshot, but man,  I'd certainly be happy with that much rubber for a non modified HP 440 with a 3:23 gear :yesnod:.  Those aren't drag radials - and sure as hell aren't bias ply skinny's either :icon_smile_wink:   It lays rubber and MOVES OUT!  :2thumbs: 
Thanks. Geeez, you even remember the gear ratio?  Good point those are 60 series tires.  I didn't even hold the brake, I just stomped on it.  That's the cool thing about the video, that would be 1969 all over again if you were at a stop light eye balling some mustang or something and then the light turned green and you nailed it.  Cool times back then for sure. I was in my brothers BMW 5 series conv with the big roar motor a few weeks back.  I stopped it in the middle of the road and then punched the gas, lots of engine noise and money but no hard torque pull at all.   :rotz:

1969chargerrtse

Well, I haven't updated much on my car since July.  And a here we go.  I was going to replace my windshield, and I decided to give Brian ( mod ) a call on some advice on the windshields gasket.  I've read about "zipping " it up or the gasket " bead " and I just didn't understand or see anything except a very tight gasket stuck to my glass.  My glass is full tint with the tint band, dated 10/68.  It has about 3.2 million pits in it.  Well, here's the thing.  Brian said I know you plan on redoing your dash wood and gauge faces soon.  Do yourself a huge favor and do it now.  By removing the windshield, I can pull back on the rubber a bit and remove the screws which hold the dash in.  Then I can unbolt it top and side and drop it down a bit, mark wires and yank out the dash.  By no means is this an expense I want right now.  The black plastic and wood cost a fortune.  I did plan on doing it as my wood is kinda mismatched and aged.  I also plan on refacing the gauges, and then drop in the glass.  I feel this is the best time as I can save money here and there and be back on the road this spring looking good. :coolgleamA:  The car, not me.  So get ready for more detail updates as I use this thread for my own history.  Sorry for the crappy pictures but I'm using my IPhone.  Not knowing what I was doing, I'm sad to say I ruined the original rubber gasket, and it was in great shape.   :'(  :slap:  You can see the original Y2 yellow color under the old gasket position.  Happy to sat this South Cal car had no rust.  Praise the Lord.   :angelwing: Rob. :2thumbs:

PocketThunder

I love Y2.  Now might be a good time for a repaint.. ?...??   :shruggy:   You know, i'm just saying thats all..  :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: PocketThunder on December 09, 2008, 09:48:31 PM
I love Y2.  Now might be a good time for a repaint.. ?...??   :shruggy:   You know, i'm just saying thats all..  :icon_smile_big:
Yeah that ain't happening.  I can't even afford the 569.00 for the wood bezel and another 375.00 for the black plastic let alone painting the car.   Y2 is really nice though, oh well orange it is.

bmoparmofo

Nice ride,good video too,It made me go and visit mine in the garage again. ::)
69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

moparstuart

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on December 09, 2008, 11:04:23 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on December 09, 2008, 09:48:31 PM
Yeah that ain't happening.  I can't even afford the 569.00 for the wood bezel and another 375.00 for the black plastic let alone painting the car.   Y2 is really nice though, oh well orange it is.
My buddy hates Y2 so much, he calls it piss yellow  .  He painted his real hemi daytona purple to get rid of the Y2 .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

1969chargerrtse

Well, the weekend is here so I had some time to work on the Charger.  I was going to drop the dash, I even took out the bolts, but the dash cluster was so easy to remove I left the whole dash frame in.   I haven't decided the whole plan as of yet.  One thing I will do is paint the steering shaft and all of the lower section that looks to be flat black, including the ash tray etc... I'm gonna put in the Tach/clock.  If the wifes mini van can a have a tach? The car has 65k on it and the gauges work fine.  I may do the decal thing and save some bucks.  Car only gets a couple grand miles a year anyway?  You can see how the radio plate stuck out further than the other wood panels.  It was also darker and from a 68 ( the black plastic part ).  This car is pretty loaded, and has the fader switch.  I'm positive it was am/fm or am/8track and someone swapped in the am that didn't work that was in it when I got it.  That's today's info.   :nixon:   Oh, and as always a big thank you to Brian ( mod ) for all his help and advise.  :2thumbs:

TUFCAT

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic