News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 29, 2008, 05:04:28 PM
Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on April 29, 2008, 04:58:38 PM
I heard it was about 1,000 in spray cans for getting the correct grill color,but this just might be a rumor !!! LOL Rob,you have done a great job on your car,enjoy now.
Oh my God , you exists!!!   Where you been man?  Pm me please.  Hows the RTSE coming?  :drool5:

Sounds like you guys need to schedule a play date!!  :D  :icon_smile_cool:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on April 30, 2008, 01:58:27 PM
I heard it was about 1,000 in spray cans for getting the correct grill color,but this just might be a rumor !!! LOL Rob,you have done a great job on your car,enjoy now.
Oh my God , you exists!!!   Where you been man?  Pm me please.  Hows the RTSE coming?  :drool5:

:violin:   Oh so funny.  We did.  He told me of this great Mopar cruise night on the Berlin tpk at B King on Sat nights.  He said Hemi Doug even swung up last year, so we made a play date there.  Thanks for caring. :coocoo:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 30, 2008, 02:09:46 PM

:violin:   Oh so funny.  We did.  He told me of this great Mopar cruise night on the Berlin tpk at B King on Sat nights.  He said Hemi Doug even swung up last year, so we made a play date there.  Thanks for caring. :coocoo:
Rob,he's just mad because he does'nt live on this side of the country where all the cool members live. :D :smilielol:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on April 30, 2008, 04:04:28 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 30, 2008, 02:09:46 PM

Rob,he's just mad because he does'nt live on this side of the country where all the cool members live. :D :smilielol:

Or not!!  ;) ................................. :girlfight:  :blahblah:  :blahblah:  :blahblah:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Charger-Bodie

1969chargerrtse

How's this for service!!!   I wrote accurate exhaust and here is their response.  And I'm taking them up on it big time.  http://www.accurateltd.com/

Robert, Thanks for the e-mail. Your order shows that we sent our 7052 series high flow hemi mufflers.
If you are getting a resonation from these and you would prefer the original quiet style hemi mufflers we could send these to you and send a call tag for the others. This is the first complaint we have had on these
so there is no answer why you are having the resonation issue. Let us know if you would like a set of the other mufflers and we will ship them out.
Thanks again,Tom
----- Original Message -----
To: taswope@msn.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:21 PM
Subject: mufflers

Hi, just I wanted to let you know I have installed your complete system on my 69 Charger.  I must say I do not like the muffler sound at about 40mph.  It has a drone humm sound that is to loud and annoying.  If I could do it over again I would of went with the stock mufflers.  I was advised about these when I placed my order and told they would be more flow through but not hummmm.  They hummmm.  My car is restored 100% stock.  I'm just writing not to complain, but advise to maybe check into these and maybe not advise on them.   Here is a link to my thread on my Charger site.  I talk about your system and have 2 sound clips.  Otherwise your system was top shelf stuff and I was very happy.  Thanks.  Robert Malerba Bethany CT.

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on April 30, 2008, 04:36:56 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on April 30, 2008, 04:24:01 PM
the midwest is the best !

You got that right!!!!  :coolgleamA:
Oh please.  And do what, watch corn grow?   :musik010: :image_294343:  Just ends up coming to us boys on the East Coast in the shape of gas anyway. :smilielol:

Hey aren't you moderators supposed to be doing productive things on the site, other than harassing cool guys from the East? :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:

moparstuart

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 30, 2008, 04:37:06 PM
How's this for service!!!   I wrote accurate exhaust and here is their response.  And I'm taking them up on it big time.  http://www.accurateltd.com/

Robert, Thanks for the e-mail. Your order shows that we sent our 7052 series high flow hemi mufflers.
If you are getting a resonation from these and you would prefer the original quiet style hemi mufflers we could send these to you and send a call tag for the others. This is the first complaint we have had on these
so there is no answer why you are having the resonation issue. Let us know if you would like a set of the other mufflers and we will ship them out.
Thanks again,Tom

Hi, just I wanted to let you know I have installed your complete system on my 69 Charger.  I must say I do not like the muffler sound at about 40mph.  It has a drone humm sound that is to loud and annoying.  If I could do it over again I would of went with the stock mufflers.  I was advised about these when I placed my order and told they would be more flow through but not hummmm.  They hummmm.  My car is restored 100% stock.  I'm just writing not to complain, but advise to maybe check into these and maybe not advise on them.   Here is a link to my thread on my Charger site.  I talk about your system and have 2 sound clips.  Otherwise your system was top shelf stuff and I was very happy.  Thanks.  Robert Malerba Bethany CT.

wow that is a great response , that awesome that a company stands behind there product and will take care of you !   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 30, 2008, 04:39:56 PM
Quote from: 1hot68 on April 30, 2008, 04:36:56 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on April 30, 2008, 04:24:01 PM
the midwest is the best !

You got that right!!!!  :coolgleamA:
Oh please.  And do what, watch corn grow?   :musik010: :image_294343:  Just ends up coming to us boys on the East Coast in the shape of gas anyway. :smilielol:

Hey aren't you moderators supposed to be doing productive things on the site, other than harassing cool guys from the East? :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:

I dont recall harassing any "cool" people.  :shruggy:  :nana: Im only kiddin around Rob!! Chill !  :coolgleamA:

bsakal

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 30, 2008, 04:37:06 PM

Thanks again,Tom

When did you order your system? The part # for the Hemi High Flow Mufflers that I have is ACM6056, I thought 7052 was the old #  :icon_smile_question: I jbought mine last summer.
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

Just 6T9 CHGR

Tom Swope is a real class act no doubt... :cheers:
Brian, I just checked my receipt and I have the ACM7052's as well....  For reference I bought my system 2/05

I do see on his site he lists them as ACM6056 now....

For reference the first pic is the old orig Hemi mufflers.....the second is the high flow ones....notice the spot welds around the case?  I think these are more of a chambered design....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bsakal

thanks for the reference pics Chris, I'll emailed you pics of mine to the Charger registry admin, they are too big to post here and I can't figure out how to resize because I'm a computer moron. You can almost see the marks where the baffles are spot welded inside the case, I don't know if they are visible in the pics. They are not as visible on the outside as yours.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Here ya go Brian.  My old muffs had IMCO stamped in them....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bsakal

thanks you Chris! Rob just hooked me up on how to resize pics, I was doing it wrong! So I'll try to post one sometime!  :cheers:

BTW, I recieved an email from Tom Swope from Accurate, described the differences between the 7052, 6056, and factory hemi mufflers. I copied it to Rob. Tom is a great guy, never fails to answer my questions or concerns when I was looking at buying his product, and now when I own his stuff and still have questions  :2thumbs:

And thanks to Rob for the resizing tips and Chris for posting my pics! I'll buy you guys a brew at Carlisle! :cheers:

1969chargerrtse

Tom's sending me the stock Hemi mufflers.  Now I'm afraid it may be to quiet.  Anyone have the stock mufflers on their 440?   Nice sound?

TUFCAT

The stock hemi mufflers will sound nice. I had them on my 1972 Charger Rallye....and  loved it!

Also Rob, I don't want to insult you because I already know you're an excellent mechanic - - trust me, I can see from your pictures and postings!   This may not be the answer to your problem - - but I was just wondering if you checked this out.  Sometimes you can get a harmonic noise (resonance) from poor rubber isolation issues - even with slightly quieter mufflers.  Its the "tuning fork" theory where metal transmits noise back into the body.

In some cases the droning issue can be resolved simply by loosening all of the exhaust clamp hangers, letting the entire system drop a bit in a more natural state, then tightening the hangers.  I know its especially difficult to install exhaust without a hoist- - and its even more difficult (on your back) when you're dealing with that huge H-pipe. But have you considered that?  Your mufflers might not be the entire problem, but of course, the louder the muffler -  the more resonance you will hear.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on May 01, 2008, 02:07:30 PM
The stock hemi mufflers will sound nice. I had them on my 1972 Charger Rallye....and  loved it!

Also Rob, I don't want to insult you because I already know you're an excellent mechanic - - trust me, I can see from your pictures and postings!   This may not be the answer to your problem - - but I was just wondering if you checked this out.  Sometimes you can get a harmonic noise (resonance) from poor rubber isolation issues - even with slightly quieter mufflers.  Its the "tuning fork" theory where metal transmits noise back into the body.

In some cases the droning issue can be resolved simply by loosening all of the exhaust clamp hangers, letting the entire system drop a bit in a more natural state, then tightening the hangers.  I know its especially difficult to install exhaust without a hoist- - and its even more difficult (on your back) when you're dealing with that huge H-pipe. But have you considered that?  Your mufflers might not be the entire problem, but of course, the louder the muffler -  the more resonance you will hear.
Thank you very much for your advise.  Actually before I did the long task of trying to get the squeezed clamped mufflers off, I was going to look into that.  Seeing I'm the only one with this issue I thought maybe that was what was going on?  Actually I had a issue with the rear hangers being stretched to tight?  If I find that to be the answer I'll ship his back even though he told me I could keep both.  Thanks for the advise and when the car is up and running ( waiting for booster ) I'll take a look.  Otherwise knowing the stock mufflers are good sounding is great.  :laugh:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bsakal on May 01, 2008, 12:19:11 PM
thanks you Chris! Rob just hooked me up on how to resize pics, I was doing it wrong! So I'll try to post one sometime!  :cheers:

BTW, I recieved an email from Tom Swope from Accurate, described the differences between the 7052, 6056, and factory hemi mufflers. I copied it to Rob. Tom is a great guy, never fails to answer my questions or concerns when I was looking at buying his product, and now when I own his stuff and still have questions  :2thumbs:

And thanks to Rob for the resizing tips and Chris for posting my pics! I'll buy you guys a brew at Carlisle! :cheers:

So Brian what are the differences?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bsakal

Chris,
Visually your muffler case looks different than mine. Mine sems more oval like your original mufflers. Does that make sense? Here's what Tom's response to me was. I orginally emailed him after Rob did because I was also concerned I may get some interior resonance. In my original email to him I gave Tom the wrong part # for the mufflers I have, that's why he corrected me.

Brian, The muffler number that you probably have is ACM-6056 as there is no 6052. We have not had any resonation issues with the ACM-6056 as these are one step up on flow over the factory quiet units. The 7052 is the third level up and has a more aggressive tone that is more popular than the 6056 for most who want a more aggressive ,deeper exhaust note. This is the muffler we use on the max-wedge applications. If the 7052 is compared to the quiet factory unit then there could be an issue with some not liking the extra deep exhaust note at acceleration or certain rpm /load levels. The 6056 is barely noticeable in this respect when comparing it with the factory quiet unit but substantially outflows the factory unit by far. As mentioned to Rob,this has been the first complaint of a resonation issue we have had with the 7052 mufflers in the five years we have been using them.
Regards,Tom

BTW, I apologize for hijacking this thread...........

1969chargerrtse

Hey guys and gals I got my booster back from Booster Dewey.  He did a great job and even stapled a small pack of peanut M&M's on the invoice with a sticker that said " Booster nuts" :hah:.  I threw that booster in quick and took my 2nd ride since all the restoration work.  It was great!!   The car ran smooth as can be and I really really had a wonderful/proud time.  I wanted to make a quick video to all you guys to say hello and show a little Mopar pride/Power.  I was so nervous I think it sounds like I said "340" instead of 440.  What an idiot.  Hope you like the short video.  If you look hard you can see my little Logan run for it when the tires spin.  This stock 440 is fun.  I just have to work on why it takes so darn long to start up after sitting from a run?  Otherwise, the car looks awesome.  Feels nice to be happy again.  Darn video is whited out again?  Enjoy.  Rob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTAKWQYKGUI

tan top

:yesnod: :popcrn: good video  ..sounds good ...... real nice  looking 69 there dude  :2thumbs: .......

starting thing could be fuel evaporating in carb  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

472 R/T SE

I never get tired of listening to you right coasters talk.  :icon_smile_wink:  Good thing those brakes were working.  :o

Again, nice job Rob.   :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: tan top on May 07, 2008, 06:19:21 PM
:yesnod: :popcrn: good video  ..sounds good ...... real nice  looking 69 there dude  :2thumbs: .......

starting thing could be fuel evaporating in carb  :scratchchin:
Thanks.  I had a similar problem with a 69 396 camaro.  The carb should of had a metal gasket under the carb to deflex the exhaust passage heat and it didn't so the fuel was boiling in the carb.  This carb sits on the gasket which is about 1/4" thick.  Would that be stock?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 07, 2008, 06:23:06 PM
I never get tired of listening to you right coasters talk.  :icon_smile_wink:  Good thing those brakes were working.  :o

Again, nice job Rob.   :2thumbs:
Rebuilt booster, 20 mins old,worked great!   Right coasters?  Oh you have to hear Chris our mod( S.I.N.Y! ).  Right out of Soprano's