News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Well, I figured out why the car took so long to start up after being warm/hot ( You tube video ).  The incorrect fuel line that "was" on it, was within a half inch from the right exhaust manifold.  Fuel must of been burning in the fuel line.  The correct line on it now comes up behind the alt.  So now it fires right up.  The brake booster has been shipped to OR for a rebuild and then I should have it back real soon on the road.  Problem is, who can afford to drive a gas guzzler like this car with gas prices closing in on 4 bucks and maybe going higher?   Not me.  :'(

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69_500

Who can afford it realistically? Just about everyone who is on this board can really afford it. Just means cutting some expenses elsewhere. Had my 500 out for about a 150 mile cruise on Friday night. Was great.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69_500 on April 27, 2008, 01:56:17 PM
Who can afford it realistically? Just about everyone who is on this board can really afford it. Just means cutting some expenses elsewhere. Had my 500 out for about a 150 mile cruise on Friday night. Was great.

" Just about everyone who is on this board can really afford it".  Can or can't?  Of course I can afford a cruise here and there, but it really does add up.  O.K 150 mile cruise.  At what?  15 miles per gallon? Lets see,  10 gallons of gas @ 3.65 a gallon. Hmmmm,  Wow 36.00+ for a cruise.  I still remember saying " 2 bucks " as a kid and getting a 1/4 tank.   I used to have a Honda CA110 50cc bike and get .25 at the pumps.  The owner used to tease me by telling me it cost more for him to run the pump than he made in profit.  Man those days are gone.   I wonder if the high cost of gas will turn people away from a long haul to PA this summer?  I'm not sure if I'm going anymore.  Basically because I just don't trust the car enough.  It's been off the road more than on the road.  The gas cost is a turn off also.  Plus it's well known I'm a baby about getting any more chips etc on the front end.  The thing has just put to much stress on me and the family.  We're still back paying big bills so I could of had it on the road this spring, and it's down again.  It's no longer the center of my thoughts, and I like it that way.  Now it's the awesome rare car in the garage and when I can break away for a little cruise, all the better.  We have a great cruise night just 15 mins from me on Sundays and that's where I'll be.   O.K lets see??   15 miles away @ 15 miles per gallon @ 60 mph..........=  just kidding. :hah:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 27, 2008, 06:18:28 PM
I wonder if the high cost of gas will turn people away from a long haul to PA this summer?

Its not gonna stop me when I go with my car ;)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1BAD68

gas prices don't bother me when it comes to my Charger, I quit smoking over the winter so I figure what I'm saving on smokes I can put in the tank.
Its gotta be at least $30 bucks a week.

69*F5*SE

1969chargerrtse

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69_500

Gas could jump to $6.00 a gallon and I would still be pulling my 500 out of the garage to go to shows. To me its not about how much I spend going to shows as it is about who I can spend time with once I get there.

hemi-hampton

Try driving my car, Last year the 110 octane race gas was over $5.00 a gallon, wonder what it is now? I get about 5 miles a gallon it seams. :rotz: LEON.

G-man

Reading what you have said at the beginning, I will never complain about my unfinished (but good) car.

Thanks heaps for sharing

It looks good... but all those problems... something else coulda looked just as good and drove somuch better. A car is only worth somuch, after that...  :-\

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: G-man on April 28, 2008, 11:55:51 PM
Reading what you have said at the beginning, I will never complain about my unfinished (but good) car.

Thanks heaps for sharing

It looks good... but all those problems... something else could looked just as good and drove so much better. A car is only worth so much, after that...  :-\
Well, lets hope it's worth a lot after what I've just invested.  But, yep I've never ever had so many problems from one car.  At first I blamed the car, but after calming down and thinking about it.  I still have the original 40 year old dash gauges running fine that Mopar built and installed way back then.  The problems, are a combination of 40 years of people messing with the car and changing things or not caring for things and 4 decades.  The motor being rebuilt wrong, old rusted radiator , leaking M/C, body shop guy spraying over everything in the engine compartment, etc....   also one needs to add in the fact I'm one of these guys that wants things correct.  I could of saved a ton of money just dropping an engine in it.  Restoring the engine bay alone was 12,000.00!!!!   That was my choice.  My wife even asked, If the engine broke why couldn't you just have replaced it?  And it would of been around just 3,000.00.   I told her, trust me if I die and you ever need to sell this car, the first person that opens the hood will say ...   I'll take it!   Regrets?  Still can't say yes 100%.   I still remember looking for over a year to find a RT  let alone a RT/SE loaded, for under 30k.  So I have 40kish in it ( past owner kicked back 2k ).  It's stunning looking, rare, and I truly feel proud and lucky to drive it around.   Long story short it could of been a lot lot (bondo car) worst.  I'm cool. I'm cool. :coolgleamA:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 29, 2008, 05:26:59 AM

Thanks heaps for sharing

It looks good... but all those problems... something else could looked just as good and drove so much better. A car is only worth so much, after that...  :-\
Well, lets hope it's worth a lot after what I've just invested.  But, yep I've never ever had so many problems from one car.  At first I blamed the car, but after calming down and thinking about it.  I still have the original 40 year old dash gauges running fine that Mopar built and installed way back then.  The problems, are a combination of 40 years of people messing with the car and changing things or not caring for things and 4 decades.  The motor being rebuilt wrong, old rusted radiator , leaking M/C, body shop guy spraying over everything in the engine compartment, etc....   also one needs to add in the fact I'm one of these guys that wants things correct.  I could of saved a ton of money just dropping an engine in it.  Restoring the engine bay alone was 12,000.00!!!!   That was my choice.  My wife even asked, If the engine broke why couldn't you just have replaced it?  And it would of been around just 3,000.00.   I told her, trust me if I die and you ever need to sell this car, the first person that opens the hood will say ...   I'll take it!   Regrets?  Still can't say yes 100%.   I still remember looking for over a year to find a RT  let alone a RT/SE loaded, for under 30k.  So I have 40kish in it ( past owner kicked back 2k ).  It's stunning looking, rare, and I truly feel proud and lucky to drive it around.   Long story short it could of been a lot lot (bondo car) worst.  I'm cool. I'm cool. :coolgleamA:

12,000  :o in the gine compartment ? how???
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on April 29, 2008, 04:33:05 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 29, 2008, 05:26:59 AM

Thanks heaps for sharing

12,000  :o in the engine compartment ? how???
Interesting question?  Let me look that up.  I used to have the whole thing on Microsoft word ( under the name "money pit" ) but the computer drive went and so did that info.   I know the total includes the rear end 500.00 and other stuff so maybe not 12,000.00 for just the compartment but real close.  I'll check later and respond.

O.K what I have here is....Not 12,000.00 thank you very much, but about 8,000.00 and that includes things like shipping 1,000.00 and other stuff.  All I can say now is...  Well it felt like 12,000.00.  :shruggy:   I really thought that and told the wife that, glad to know it was less. :icon_smile_big:

Hold on, just found about 1,000.00 of stuff not listed on the "money pit list".  So 9,000.00 on top of the 29,500.00 I paid.  But still not 12,000.00 for the compartment alone. :slap:
Stll have about 40,000.00 in the car though. 

69 OUR/TEA

I heard it was about 1,000 in spray cans for getting the correct grill color,but this just might be a rumor !!! LOL Rob,you have done a great job on your car,enjoy now.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on April 29, 2008, 04:58:38 PM
I heard it was about 1,000 in spray cans for getting the correct grill color,but this just might be a rumor !!! LOL Rob,you have done a great job on your car,enjoy now.
Oh my God , you exists!!!   Where you been man?  Pm me please.  Hows the RTSE coming?  :drool5:

69 OUR/TEA

Still here pretty much every day,don't really reply or post,just lurking to  everything going on.

bsakal

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 13, 2008, 06:37:24 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 13, 2008, 06:15:26 PM
Thanks everyone!  About that exhaust.  I went with the louder more flow thru mufflers.  I got to say there is a bit of a resonating loud hummm around 40mph.  Everywhere else they are awesome, but at that speed they get a little annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gs2GDWNCDI

Really?  what size tailpipes did you get?  I have no drone at any speed with mine :scratchchin:  Maybe because I have a full 2.5" diameter to the tips?

God I hope mine doesn't drone. I bought the high flow mufflers for mine, same Accurate system. 2-1/2" head pipe, tailpipe size is 2-1/4". I listened to both your youtube clips, it does sound good.  :drool5: Chris Giardina's (did I spell that right Chris?) car sounds a little different at idle to me, (still awesome) maybe because of the 2-1/2" tailpipes and larger cam? When I had my Super Bee, I had the Merit replacement mufflers on it, it had a 440 (not stock) in it, that thing was whisper quiet inside, but had that nice Mopar sound out back.
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bsakal on April 29, 2008, 07:16:48 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 13, 2008, 06:37:24 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 13, 2008, 06:15:26 PM
Thanks everyone!  About that exhaust.  I went with the louder more flow thru mufflers.  I got to say there is a bit of a resonating loud hummm around 40mph.  Everywhere else they are awesome, but at that speed they get a little annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gs2GDWNCDI

Really?  what size tailpipes did you get?  I have no drone at any speed with mine :scratchchin:  Maybe because I have a full 2.5" diameter to the tips?

God I hope mine doesn't drone. I bought the high flow mufflers for mine, same Accurate system. 2-1/2" head pipe, tailpipe size is 2-1/4". I listened to both your youtube clips, it does sound good.  :drool5: Chris Giardina's (did I spell that right Chris?) car sounds a little different at idle to me, (still awesome) maybe because of the 2-1/2" tailpipes and larger cam? When I had my Super Bee, I had the Merit replacement mufflers on it, it had a 440 (not stock) in it, that thing was whisper quiet inside, but had that nice Mopar sound out back.
Sorry, it drones ( at about 40 mph ) and I don't care for it.  I have to call them sometime to tell them not to recommend them as they did.  If you stick with them, let us know please if you have the same issue?

bsakal

I'll be sure to let you know, although I'm a year or 2 away from it being on the road. I bought the complete system last year, picked it up at Carlisle, I figured I should get it before steel and delivery prices go thru the roof. I bought the Hemi High Flow Mufflers they sell because I loved the sound of Chris's car (sorry for copying Chris). Although when I picked them up Chris and I were comparing the cases and there were a couple of differences. Chris do you remember this? Tom @ Accurate said that the ones Chris had were the old series, the ones I bought were manufactured by someone else. I've even thought of buying the factory style quiet ones this year and putting them away just in case. My wife prefers the quiet ones anyway, I always make her listen to the sound clips  :icon_smile_big:
Brian

66chargerkid

I went through your thread (I was had A LOT of time) And all I have to say is WOW.
I am glad you stuck to your project and got it finished. Sounds great and looks spectacular!

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 66chargerkid on April 29, 2008, 07:53:29 PM
I went through your thread (I was had A LOT of time) And all I have to say is WOW.
I am glad you stuck to your project and got it finished. Sounds great and looks spectacular!
Wow, gee thanks a lot.  You have no idea the stress it put, or I put on the family.  It's been a long journey, and were still paying off some bills.  A huge thank you to so many members, but most of all to Chris our Mod for the 1,000 questions I asked and he answered, and Brian our Mod for the same thing.  Both of them even gave me their time at work and home.  Could NOT of done it without them and several others and  all the info on this great site.  Some day soon I hope to actually get time to enjoy it. :hah:   Thanks again.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bsakal on April 29, 2008, 07:43:15 PM
I'll be sure to let you know, although I'm a year or 2 away from it being on the road. I bought the complete system last year, picked it up at Carlisle, I figured I should get it before steel and delivery prices go thru the roof. I bought the Hemi High Flow Mufflers they sell because I loved the sound of Chris's car (sorry for copying Chris). Although when I picked them up Chris and I were comparing the cases and there were a couple of differences. Chris do you remember this? Tom @ Accurate said that the ones Chris had were the old series, the ones I bought were manufactured by someone else. I've even thought of buying the factory style quiet ones this year and putting them away just in case. My wife prefers the quiet ones anyway, I always make her listen to the sound clips  :icon_smile_big:
Brian

I think I remember Brian.  I think I'm slowly losing my memory I swear :rotz:  I do remember you buying it though :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bsakal

I guess that's what happens when we reach our 40's (at least for me anyway)  :icon_smile_tongue:

bsakal

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 29, 2008, 08:07:47 PM
Quote from: 66chargerkid on April 29, 2008, 07:53:29 PM
Wow, gee thanks a lot.  You have no idea the stress it put, or I put on the family.  It's been a long journey, and were still paying off some bills.  A huge thank you to so many members, but most of all to Chris our Mod for the 1,000 questions I asked and he answered, and Brian our Mod for the same thing.  Both of them even gave me their time at work and home.  Could NOT of done it without them and several others and  all the info on this great site.  Some day soon I hope to actually get time to enjoy it. :hah:   Thanks again.

BTW your car is sweet! I've been reading you're thread also, I couldn't imagine what you went thru!