News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes the Hemi high flow mufflers...I like them better than his original design.  the first ones I had were nice but were a bit too quiet for my liking.

These are louder but in a good way...either style offers NO DRONE at any RPM....a great cruising muffler
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Death1970Proof

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 01, 2008, 03:08:10 PM
Quote from: charger01 on April 01, 2008, 08:39:09 AM
Are those factory style mufflers.  Wonder how they sound......
Mostly the same as mine except not as lopey...his cam is milder than mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp-VdYrBsJQ

That sounds NICE!!! Are you running headers or manifolds??
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Death1970Proof on April 01, 2008, 08:50:49 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 01, 2008, 03:08:10 PM
Quote from: charger01 on April 01, 2008, 08:39:09 AM
Are those factory style mufflers.  Wonder how they sound......
Mostly the same as mine except not as lopey...his cam is milder than mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp-VdYrBsJQ

That sounds NICE!!! Are you running headers or manifolds??
I got this one for ya buddy.  He's running manifolds.   :coolgleamA:

:whistling:  ( A little respect for the new "Old Timer" would be nice.)
Took a lot of  :icon_bs: to get to this point.  Calling me "Mr Rob" from this point on wouldn't kill ya.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

charger01

Did the kit come with all necessary hardware and the tips?

1969chargerrtse

Yes, everything.  Stainless tips that go over the pipe not into it for better flow and stainless hangers.  They said everything is there except the body and motor.  I told them I have the body but need to wait for the motor.  Go to the site, it's all listed.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

The70RT

That seems kinda pricy. I guess everything has been going up  ::)
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: The70RT on April 02, 2008, 12:44:25 PM
That seems kinda pricey. I guess everything has been going up  ::)
Really?  I didn't think so when you add in shipping for such large and heavy parts.  Plus Good stainlees hangers near the mufflers are 75.00, then the rear ones, then the tips (stainless), exhaust bolts and gaskets,  throw in top quality stuff and I was o.k with it.  That was the deluxe kit, check the site for the basic kit and it's much less, but for reasons.   I have no problem paying a fair price if the stuff is good.  I have thrown out many parts bought from other re pro suppliers, I hate junk parts.  No need for that stuff, won't use it.

Finn

Quote from: dpm68 on October 15, 2007, 06:14:22 PM
It seems cursed.

haha thats what I said about mine when I was doing body work...that car has given me more scars in a few months then 17 years has all together.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

1969chargerrtse

Just talked to the engine guy.  He will drop off the engine tomorrow morning.  I had to locate another oil pan gasket set as I'm putting on the correct pan with the windage tray.  Parts store said should be in by 10:00.  Lord knows how many other little items I'll be missing?  Seems this engine broke the builders chops so much he is done doing this anymore.  He took on  a job as a machinist and met someone that he's living with, and this stuff was to much stress for him.  Sad page ending in his life as this is all he has ever done and went to school for.  But new doors always open up.  Pictures coming soon.

1969chargerrtse

Well, finally got my engine back.  I guess I live in a time warp and just think like the old days I'll put it together and slap it in, in a day or so.  Doesn't work like that anymore.  I got the correct 402 oil pan and thought I'd just put it on.  Nope.  The pick up is different also.  I am so very very lucky.  The new friend I just made lives 20 mins away and said come on over I have that stuff.  First time at his house and my God he has 4 bays of Charger parts 68 to 70 dripping off walls, shelves, cabinets...etc   Yep he had one, and a bunch of other odd stuff I needed.  I told him I would help him sell stuff he had, but after seeing all he had I got very overwhelmed and said you're on your own man.   Anyway, I've finally come to the conclusion it's a slow process restoring the car and what I though would take a day, I see will probably take until next week.  :-\

69_500

Hmmmmm, what other parts did he have? You know me I'm a pack rat.

So when is the orange paint getting sprayed on the block?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69_500 on April 06, 2008, 08:08:32 AM
Hmmmmm, what other parts did he have? You know me I'm a pack rat.

So when is the orange paint getting sprayed on the block?
I purposely mentioned what he had he would sell figuring anyone looking for something hard to find would ask.  Problem is he and I don't want to get into shipping large items.  He had 70 grilles, date coded headlamps.  Pretty much anything.  Just PM me and I'll ask him.

If I don't keep running into things like missing bolts, wrong parts.  I'd like to shoot it tonight, but the wife is away and I'm watching the kids ( little kids ) and I'm not sure how much time I can sneek into working on it?

69_500

Hmmmm, old headlamps? Stuff like that is right up my alley. Only for 69's though. Give me a little bit of time and I'll PM you a list of all the stuff that I'm looking for on my 69. Plenty more years before I actually do any kind of a restoration, but always looking for odds and ends parts that I can find in the time being.

1969chargerrtse

O.K, I had a friend stop by and was lucky she was kind enough to watch my son as I worked like crazy getting the engine ready for paint, and then painting it.  Wa la.
Notice the possible future owner standing next to the car. ;D   I'm doing my best to make it close to original but I just couldn't get myself to spray the fuel pump.  Sorry. :icon_smile_big:

TUFCAT

AWESOME PICS MAN!!! You should feel very proud.  :2thumbs:  Progress is a great feeling isn't it  :yesnod:  By the way, your little man looks very cute standing next to "his" car.  That shot totally reminded me of the time my "little helper" removed an engine with me when he was only five years old....and believe it or not - he really  did help  (... then he was so proud he bragged to all of his little friends)!  I remember Scotty saying something like:  "so what did you do today"? - -  "I pulled out an engine"!!   Kids are great.  ;)

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looks great Rob I wish I used real paint instead of rattle cans when I did mine buuuutttt....(you knew this was coming ;) )

#1 please get that Fram filter off there (hopefully its there just for painting & not break in purposes)

#2 dipstick tube "should" be left natural metal..... :nana:

#3 not a big deal but you left off the spark plug heat shield that goes under the head bolts (not sure if you remembered)

#4 looks like you left the accel cable nut & retainer on there?  Shouldn't be painted

PS----before anyone else gets their panties in a bunch over my comments, Rob and I have been discussing his quest for "correctness"...this is all constructive criticism from my observations and I do not claim to know everything as well (small disclaimer ;) )
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 06, 2008, 06:44:21 PM
Looks great Rob I wish I used real paint instead of rattle cans when I did mine buuuutttt....(you knew this was coming ;) )

#1 please get that Fram filter off there (hopefully its there just for painting & not break in purposes)

#2 dipstick tube "should" be left natural metal..... :nana:

#3 not a big deal but you left off the spark plug heat shield that goes under the head bolts (not sure if you remembered)

#4 looks like you left the accel cable nut & retainer on there?  Shouldn't be painted

PS----before anyone else gets their panties in a bunch over my comments, Rob and I have been discussing his quest for "correctness"...this is all constructive criticism from my observations and I do not claim to know everything as well (small disclaimer ;) )

Do you know I left out the oil tube by accident and saw it at the last minute then put it in and painted it.
And yes fram filter is for break in.

"PS----before anyone else gets their panties in a bunch over my comments, Rob and I have been discussing his quest for "correctness"...this is all constructive criticism from my observations and I do not claim to know everything as well (small disclaimer  )"

You tell em Chris! :nixon:

Also big thank you to Brian. (Mod)

Just 6T9 CHGR

PS---make sure when putting the manifolds back on that the dipstick tube goes outside the manifold.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

keepat

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 06, 2008, 07:43:26 PM
PS---make sure when putting the manifolds back on that the dipstick tube goes outside the manifold.....
Are you kidding me?

So this is not the best reference picture out there on the net?

I see it on your engine though. 

Thanks so much for pointing this stuff out.  I would hate to do it over after in the bay.

I see where he took the paint off the oil tube ( as I did already ) and moved it outside

69*F5*SE

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on April 06, 2008, 08:47:58 PM
Damn, that looks killer!!
Thank you, and welcome to the site.  Great group here.

Thanks all you guys for your interest!

Just 6T9 CHGR

1970 & later had the dipstick inside the manifolds.....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Well, I finally got the frigging thing in.  Remember when I gave advise on how not to install your trani with the drive shaft still connected to the rear?  Well, todays tip is... If you're going to be stupid enough to put the motor in by yourself, don't do it with the fan connected.  There's about .0000000000000001 thousands of an inch space to wiggle the massive heavy swinging thing into.
Problem now is I can't get the 2 motor mount bolts in?  Passenger side dropped in. Driver side is like 1/2" away for bolt hole alignment.  Spent an hour and got nowhere.  Ill try again tomorrow.  Maybe this car originally came with a Hemi and that would line up better? :icon_smile_big:  No?