News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 29, 2007, 08:34:38 PM
great to see progress Rob Keep it up!!!! :2thumbs:
Thanks everyone :2thumbs: and thanks for all your help, on the side.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on December 29, 2007, 08:41:01 PM

Thanks for the help on my car Rob! :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 29, 2007, 08:43:55 PM

You're welcome, parts went out today, and I'm telling ya that looks like Beer :yesnod:, not root beer. :rotz:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on December 29, 2007, 08:48:54 PM

You're welcome, parts went out today, and I'm telling ya that looks like Beer :yesnod:, not root beer. :rotz:

Sweet thanks! I'll get pics when they arrive. Who did you ship with? And its root beer! :icon_smile_big: I havent had a drink in my life. I went to a grade 9 grad party in June and everybody there drank except for 5 kids. I was one of those 5!  :lol:. I think I'm one of the only people to remember that night :smilielol:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 29, 2007, 08:49:49 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on December 29, 2007, 08:48:54 PM

Sweet thanks! I'll get pics when they arrive. Who did you ship with? And its root beer! :icon_smile_big: I havent had a drink in my life. I went to a grade 9 grad party in June and everybody there drank except for 5 kids. I was one of those 5!  :lol:. I think I'm one of the only people to remember that night :smilielol:
Not Fed X!   :rotz: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37419.msg417675.html#msg417675  USPS  US post office, had to fill out a special form also.  Good for you on not drinking.  I'm 51 and don't drink either ( no problem with big people that do) :icon_smile_big:

69bronzeT5

472 R/T SE

Nice job.  :2thumbs:  Lots of folks are intimidated with painting engine bays.  I say get after it, the factory didn't seem too concerned with the quality.  I think if you pay attention to cars at shows there'll be a lot more with different color engine bays than you may think.

Shameless plug here, I don't know if you've heard of Bill (gtx6970) yet?:  http://amhightechauto.com/  He can hook you up with the detail stuff when it's time to put it back together.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 29, 2007, 09:21:06 PM
Nice job.  :2thumbs:  Lots of folks are intimidated with painting engine bays.  I say get after it, the factory didn't seem too concerned with the quality. 

Shameless plug here, I don't know if you've heard of Bill (gtx6970) yet?:  http://amhightechauto.com/  He can hook you up with the detail stuff when it's time to put it back together.

Thanks for your advice,  :2thumbs: Chris just 6t9 CHGR has steered me there and been a HUGE help with all my 100+ questions, (asked him 3 more today).  I have a huge list to order there, great advise and thanks for mentioning it, that is a one stop place for engine compartment detailing for sure.  I was scared to do the compartment also, but I just sucked it up, went to a paint store got the best materials (harder also) an spent all day sanding.  I used to paint cars back about 10 years ago so I had the know how, (borrowed the spray gun) it's just one of those intimidating things, but now it's done, thank God.  After detailing the other components, I have to move over to restoring the grille, and that's just as scary, but I'm gonna do it.  Oh yea, then I have  a motor to install.  :smilielol:

The70RT

Looks great  :2thumbs:    Did you do a onestage job or is it clear\base?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: The70RT on December 29, 2007, 10:07:49 PM
Looks great  :2thumbs:    Did you do a onestage job or is it clear\base?
Well, the car is base coat/clear coat.  But I did the compartment One stage, came out just as shiny though. :yesnod:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on December 29, 2007, 09:29:29 PM
I have to move over to restoring the grille, and that's just as scary, but I'm gonna do it.

Thats on my list of things to do too and I'm abit weary about it. Painting it is fine because I can do that and all the paint detail work I can do fine because as you already know, I build models so I have lots of paints and can do it nice and steadily BUT the problem is, one corner of my grille is broken off and I don't know how to fix that :-\

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 30, 2007, 12:33:08 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on December 29, 2007, 09:29:29 PM
I have to move over to restoring the grille, and that's just as scary, but I'm gonna do it.

Thats on my list of things to do too and I'm abit weary about it. Painting it is fine because I can do that and all the paint detail work I can do fine because as you already know, I build models so I have lots of paints and can do it nice and steadily BUT the problem is, one corner of my grille is broken off and I don't know how to fix that :-\
I think you know this is the site to ask?  You have my other email, send me a picture, and I'll help.

JR

Looks great. The orange is very..............................pretty. :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: (just kidding, now were even!)

The car will be even better than when you bought it. Another nice thing about it is, even though you paid top dollar for it, you aren't loosing any money with rebuilding the 440 and the improvements you are making. It's not an empty money pit and you can get all of it back. Not that you would ever want to, it's just good to know it.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: JR on December 30, 2007, 12:37:44 PM
Looks great. The orange is very..............................pretty. :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: (just kidding, now were even!)

The car will be even better than when you bought it. Another nice thing about it is, even though you paid top dollar for it, you aren't loosing any money with rebuilding the 440 and the improvements you are making. It's not an empty money pit and you can get all of it back. Not that you would ever want to, it's just good to know it.
Oh, that was good, you got me good. :D  Let me tell ya, I watch ebay every day and compare prices.  I find 5,000.00 cars needing lots of work and money, and 40,00o to 60,000 + cars.  So I have no real regrets at the 29,500.00 I paid.  Would of been nice to get it a little cheaper, but it is rare and loaded.  Thanks. :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 30, 2007, 07:55:15 PM
Looking good Rob!  Coming along nicely :cheers:
Thanks Chris, and thanks for all your guidance.  I'm sure everytime you fire up the puter, and there sits another one of my emails, you go, again?  What more possibly could he ask?  :lol:
Thanks everyone for your great support and advise. :2thumbs:

69_500

Oh believe me the questions never end. Even after staring at these cars for YEARS there is always something that comes up that you haven't seen or noticed before.

Tilar

That does suck about all that happening, But man that is one fine looking automobile!  :drool5:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Tilar on December 30, 2007, 10:20:45 PM
That does suck about all that happening, But man that is one fine looking automobile!  :drool5:
Oh wow thanks :icon_smile_big:.  I haven't even been able to enjoy it yet.  From the day I got it I was fixing things that bugged me, and then the motor went, so when it's done this spring, and the grille is done, and the motor looking original, I'm finally gonna get to enjoy it.  I hope.  My god I hope no more suprises, the positive thing is, all this work I'm doing is a one time deal, it's done.  :yesnod:

1969chargerrtse

Well, here's where I'm at.  I have ordered tons of engine compartment detail items  (http://amhightechauto.com/) .  The windshield wiper motor, heater motor, steering shaft and coupling, Brake booster and MC, Steering box, have all been detailed and painted. Lots of stuff like brake lines washer bottle, pump, lines, fittings,etc....are do to arrive, Grille being sanded here and there and looking for the perfect paint, which is like looking for the perfect women.   Engine builder called tonight, I'll swing by his house tomorrow and drop off 1,000.00 towards the total of 2,700.00 to fully rebuild the Nov 68 440 block I dropped off.  It'll be 100% stock, cam etc... but 20k over on the pistons.  I'll send pics as I start putting the engine compartment together.  Thanks for all your support and help.   :nixon:

TUFCAT

:2thumbs: That's Cool.  You know we're all lovin' your updates aren't you??  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

markstealth91

It's so beautiful! At least that Charger landed into the hands of a very caring owner.

The70RT

Sounds like you will be ready for some cruise and shows this summer.  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: The70RT on January 21, 2008, 08:53:26 PM
Sounds like you will be ready for some cruise and shows this summer.  :2thumbs:
Kinda showed out.  That was something I did big time in the 80's when I was in my  20's.  Now, I like to just run errands, take a cruise to a sunday eve cruise night.  Anything to put that beautiful car out there. No Patience to stand around in hot summer time show heat.  Though I am planning on coming to PA to meet all my new friends.  :icon_smile_big:

Thanks for all the nice comments, and it is in the hands of a caring owner for sure (with many updates).