News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Thanks.  Well the back end is correct again, and the trunk looks great.  Have to sand and clear the filler pipe, tire, etc but it's getting there.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

Chargerrtforme

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on March 20, 2012, 07:57:09 PM
Looks alot better now Rob. :2thumbs:
Yes, looks better than the damage done and the same as before there was damage.  :eek2:

1969chargerrtse

Well, a new chapter begins.  The car has been great for over 2 years, but recently I get this loud squeak noise up front.  I found it to be the front control arm rubber bushings.  They were easy to remove and the parts are at a garage waiting for new rubber to be pressed in.  Thanks to Brian our mod once again walking me through what I needed to do.  :2thumbs:

(and Chris for helping me with trunk resto info  :icon_smile_big: )
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

TUFCAT

Rob, your post is very timely because the same project is on my "to do" list this summer. :popcrn:  I'm basically lacking the motivation and moral support. :cheers:

Your posts have helped many people who were afraid to tackle many projects that you've taken on in your home garage. :yesnod:

So keep the great pictures and instructions coming.. :2thumbs: ..for that, I'll say thanks in advance!  :cheers:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 21, 2012, 09:59:35 PM
Rob, your post is very timely because the same project is on my "to do" list this summer. :popcrn:  I'm basically lacking the motivation and moral support. :cheers:

Your posts have helped many people who were afraid to tackle many projects that you've taken on in your home garage. :yesnod:

So keep the great pictures and instructions coming.. :2thumbs: ..for that, I'll say thanks in advance!  :cheers:

Hey thanks for that.  That is truly exactly why I do these things.  I was afraid of doing it also.  We know what happened with a simple trunk spraying.  I can tell you this, it was easy. Remove the tire and caliper (drum), with a jack under the K frame lifting the car, put another one under the control arm and lift it a bit to take the shock out, then in my case the wheel bearing and rotor, which allowed me to get the 2 huge bolts for the ball joint, drop the tie rod end, the nuts front and rear for the strut bar, sway bar, and then bang out the Torsion bar towards the back of the car which drops the control arm.  Really was like a 45min job per side.  Brian said the same thing to me, That it was something I would be better off doing right at home. So I went for it.

1969chargerrtse

The last story of the trunk mess.
So, I clean up the whole interior. Scrub the orange mist of paint everywhere. Armorall the whole thing along with a good vacumm. I get on the highway, all 4 windows are down and I have a great windy interior, until.......  All of a sudden sand blast material probably up in the head liner starts flying around in the car. I was getting sand blasted as I drove. Blinking my eyes and holding my breath while sand was flying all over the whole interior and now stuck to the armorall. I had to go home and air blow the interior out and  clean it all over again. I couldn't believe it. It's almost funny. But. not really.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 22, 2012, 10:52:35 AM
So, I clean up the whole interior. Scrub the orange mist of paint everywhere. Armor all the whole thing along with a good vacumm. I get on the highway, all 4 windows are down and I have a great windy interior, until.......  All of a sudden sand blast material probably up in the head liner starts flying around in the car. I was getting sand blasted as I drove. Blinking my eyes and holding my breath while sand was flying all over the whole interior and now stuck to the armor all. I had to go home and air blow the interior out and  clean it all over again. I couldn't believe it. It's almost funny. But. not really.

Sorry bro but thats funny sheit right there   :pity:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

So my charger is on jack stands at the moment.  I took a rented mini van we have for an errand and caught this picture of my charger in the rear camera. Oh the poor thing was sad as I was leaving. :'(

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 22, 2012, 04:20:33 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 22, 2012, 10:52:35 AM
So, I clean up the whole interior. Scrub the orange mist of paint everywhere. Armorall the whole thing along with a good vacumm. I get on the highway, all 4 windows are down and I have a great windy interior, until.......  All of a sudden sand blast material probably up in the head liner starts flying around in the car. I was getting sand blasted as I drove. Blinking my eyes and holding my breath while sand was flying all over the whole interior and now stuck to the armorall. I had to go home and air blow the interior out and  clean it all over again. I couldn't believe it. It's almost funny. But. not really.

Sorry bro but thats funny sheit right there   :pity:

I know.  I just couldn't believe that was happening.

Musicman

Well, you know what they say... "When it rains, it pours"... Of course in your case it's raining bad luck & blast media, but that's beside the point. :lol:

Sorry brother... you must be feeling incredibly frustrated right about now, but what can you do :shruggy:... Just keep moving forward, this too shall pass.

:cheers:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Musicman on March 23, 2012, 08:56:25 AM
Well, you know what they say... "When it rains, it pours"... Of course in your case it's raining bad luck & blast media, but that's beside the point. :lol:

Sorry brother... you must be feeling incredibly frustrated right about now, but what can you do :shruggy:... Just keep moving forward, this too shall pass.

:cheers:
It's all past. The car is cleaned. The trunk re painted. Just thought it was a funny story to add on to the experience of sending work out. He should have a spare rim and jack base for me this weekend and then the trunk restoration is behind me. Right now it's control arm rubber that is the issue. Should have them today and then I can get the car back on all four.

1969chargerrtse

All systems GO!  Install tomorrow.  Assy tip, install everything, sit car on ground adjust height, and then tighten all bolts.  Car needs to be in settled postion because if bushings are tightend with the front in the air and suspension hanging down, that will put stress on bushings when the car is then lowered down. Yeah something like that.  :icon_smile_big:

bakerhillpins

Just in time for the summer weather to give way to more normal temps..  :2thumbs:

I think this pic is really cool. Angle you don't often see, prolly since the front tires are missin.   :coolgleamA:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

1969chargerrtse

The car is back on the ground and looking good.  :2thumbs:  One thing I would add is when you install the lower control arm, lift it up to a normal height as if the car was on the ground and tighten it there.  Then you can push it down and install the torsion bar and tighten everything up.  It was a little harder to put together than it was to take apart, but it's done and worth the effort. I added another 1/2 inch to the front height as It had the angle of a funny car before and the tire was to far up in the fender, though it did look cool.

TUFCAT

Rob I always thought your suspension was too low in the front (based your signature picture).  BUT...since you've gone through hell already I wasn't going to be the "a-hole" to stir up extra sh*t with you! ;) ;)  I'm sure you remember I was an "early member" who posted sh*t about your glossy taillight panel a long, long, time ago. :yesnod:

I honestly think a front end lift can improve the looks/stance of your car.  Nearly every original mopar I've seen was always high upfront. This was the factory look I guess and it worked well to give a "proud agressive look" to the car. Take a look at historic press photos for proof. :2thumbs:  Possibly 1970's teenagers took the torsion bars down to create "the mid 70's racing look"...high back/low front. But for my money.... I'm pretty sure that's not how they looked when they were unloaded from the car hauler back in the day. :icon_smile_wink:  Non of my Dad's original cars ever appeared low in the front.  My two cents.  :Twocents:

1969chargerrtse

I hear ya but I have a problem I just can't figure out?  If I lift the car up the lower part of my wheels turn inward.  That's my issue.  My A frame is pulled in towards the engine on both sides and can't go any further in, so why do the tires angle inward at the base?  That is why I had it so low.  The lower I went, the more the tires straightend out.  Also, to each his own on the look.  No prob.

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 24, 2012, 08:10:04 PM
I hear ya but I have a problem I just can't figure out?  If I lift the car up the lower part of my wheels turn inward.  That's my issue.  My A frame is pulled in towards the engine on both sides and can't go any further in, so why do the tires angle inward at the base?  That is why I had it so low.  The lower I went, the more the tires straightend out.  Also, to each his own on the look.  No prob.

If you have an original 1969 Dodge Chassis Service Manual it will have the correct front end alignment and vehicle height specs for you... ;)

One of the first "procedures" for a proper front end alignment was to check torsion bar adjustment (front end height). This is done by measuring the distance from the lower control arm to level ground.

The service manual also goes as far as making sure the "customer" had a full tank of fuel before performing ride height suspension adjustments. :scratchchin:  Its definately worth checking out.  :icon_smile_wink:

1969chargerrtse

I do have the manual, but my point is as you lift the car up the tires move inward to a positive camber. To correct this you would move the upper A frame inwards.  My A frames are fully inward.  Something ain't right and I can't figure it out?  If you look close at the front view picture you can see the tire angle I'm talking about.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 25, 2012, 05:04:29 AM
I do have the manual, but my point is as you lift the car up the tires move inward to a positive camber. To correct this you would move the upper A frame inwards.  My A frames are fully inward.  Something ain't right and I can't figure it out?  If you look close at the front view picture you can see the tire angle I'm talking about.

Are your upper bushings shot too?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 25, 2012, 08:28:05 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 25, 2012, 05:04:29 AM
I do have the manual, but my point is as you lift the car up the tires move inward to a positive camber. To correct this you would move the upper A frame inwards. My A frames are fully inward. Something ain't right and I can't figure it out? If you look close at the front view picture you can see the tire angle I'm talking about.

Are your upper bushings shot too?
They seemed OK when I had the A frame hanging while doing the lowers.  I moved them up and down. They were tight.
I'm probably gonna have to get it to a shop.  Need we bring up the trunk experience?  I hate putting my car in other people's hands.  Paul 69RT knows someone real good, probably make an appointment with him.

1969chargerrtse

Before and aft.  I have to get the tire iron tomorrow and clean up the sloppy gasket seam my buddy did.  Yes I know the jack is not correct.  Guess what?  I don't care.  Check out the original tire given to me.  ;D