News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on March 10, 2012, 06:05:45 PM
Quote from: Scaregrabber on March 10, 2012, 12:49:55 PM
I dunno, He did a lot of work for you. It's not to easy (perhaps not even possible) to sandblast an assembled car and not run into the issues that happened. I never would have tried it myself. I think it was a learning experience for both of you. I bet neither one of you will try it again.

Sheldon

I've never sandblasted anything but know the shit gets everywhere.  First clue paint might get inside the car would have been the massive amounts of dust from sandblasting.

Right then & there I would have realized I don't have it sealed good enough so if I didn't take the time to try & do a better job of containment I would have only put a fraction of paint in the gun so I could stop while painting to see if the paint was getting everywhere.

Yeah sure, it's easy to say after the fact for some people.  I think crane rental instilled the constant "what if" in me.

Yeah, so it's more time involved.  BFD, next time bid a job that takes this into consideration instead of lowballing it to get the work & have this blow up in your face.

I tell ya' what Rob, I thought I had shitty luck.   ::)

Actually the car has been fantastic, trouble free for 2 years.  I finally send some work out and once again I regret it.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Brian here's what the guide looks like, have one?  Right 1/4 window farthest roller/track to the back of the car.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

The70RT

Sorry to hear that Rob. I was wondering how the sandblasting was gonna affect everything. It would have been a lot more work but a wire wheel is how he should have done it. I hope it it get all taken care of  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: The70RT on March 10, 2012, 07:26:33 PM
Sorry to hear that Rob. I was wondering how the sandblasting was gonna affect everything. It would have been a lot more work but a wire wheel is how he should have done it. I hope it it get all taken care of  :2thumbs:
Yeah thanks, more work for me.  I didn't tell him to do that?  He just did, what did I know?

Tilar

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 10, 2012, 07:20:57 PM
Actually the car has been fantastic, trouble free for 2 years. 

With all the crap you went through when you first got it, It's good to hear that.  :cheers:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 10, 2012, 11:31:09 AM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on March 10, 2012, 09:42:35 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 10, 2012, 07:17:52 AM
Just not sure what to do? Not a biggy. I'll clean the car up this weekend and then think about it.

Sometimes, the best thing to do is just step back and give it a day or two anyhow. But get in touch with him now and say you want to talk with him when he gets back. If he is a good friend to you you need to air it out. If you are a good friend to him he will make an effort to correct it. Just make sure you get all of the stuff that bothers you out there because if you don't it will eat at you.  If it works you you know you do have a friend, and if it doesn't you also know where you stand.  :Twocents:

Good luck, these situations are never easy.
Ther is no way I'm putting out a penny and he's repairing the trunk bare areas or the tail panel. If he's a good friend he'll loan me a paint gun.

Wasn't trying to suggest you put out any more $$, just that you give it a day before you talk with him.  :shruggy:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bakerhillpins

Man, all that extra damage and sloppy treatment is sickening..  :flame:  The tail panel "cleanup" is horrible.  :RantExplode:

I finally send some work out and once again I regret it.

Which is why I end up doing all my own house work.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

moparstuart

I had a crack just like that in my console,  i used several craft sticks apoxy,  and gorila glue  on  underside  then  finger filler putty and blk paint on it. Has held up several years now and still looks good even put my hands on it a few times for support and it stil solid
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 10, 2012, 07:06:40 PM
And a cracked console from sitting on it wile he welded a bracket near the back.  sloppy gasket and torn stripe.

Rob, I'm pissed to hear about your cracked original console.

Sand everwhere might be a bi-product of the job.....but not the unexpected physical damage. I would document each damaged item and present it to him. Then go to small claims court if necessary.  At a minimum you should expect to get ALL YOUR MONEY BACK including the rim and jack base that was part of the deal. Friend or no friend.... if you don't take action you'll spend much more than you paid just to fix the damage he caused.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bakerhillpins on March 10, 2012, 08:09:20 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 10, 2012, 11:31:09 AM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on March 10, 2012, 09:42:35 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 10, 2012, 07:17:52 AM
Just not sure what to do? Not a boggy. I'll clean the car up this weekend and then think about it.

Sometimes, the best thing to do is just step back and give it a day or two anyhow. But get in touch with him now and say you want to talk with him when he gets back. If he is a good friend to you you need to air it out. If you are a good friend to him he will make an effort to correct it. Just make sure you get all of the stuff that bothers you out there because if you don't it will eat at you. If it works you you know you do have a friend, and if it doesn't you also know where you stand.  :Twocents:

Good luck, these situations are never easy.
There is no way I'm putting out a penny and he's repairing the trunk bare areas or the tail panel. If he's a good friend he'll loan me a paint gun.

Wasn't trying to suggest you put out any more $$, just that you give it a day before you talk with him.  :shruggy:
TUFCAT's not gonna wanna hear this but I'm taking your advise. My calm thought as of now is to mention the damage here and there, but focus on the rear panel and make a weekend appointment to have HIM spray it while I'm there with him. His tools and paint. I don't even have a paint gun anymore. His stuff his paint. Get the rim and base and then I'll pay him. Why?  I love the guy, he didn't do it on propose and to be honest I thought the bill would of been 800.00. He's gonna mount my tire on the rim also. I think I'm gonna swing this route? If he was a true business shop, I would take TUFCATs route. He closed his shop and does the stuff on the side. After we talk he won't be doing classic car trunks anymore. He's lucky my interior is not white. As for the console it's not visible unless you push on it. It's one of the items that needs replacement anyway. The glove box part is all cut up under the cover.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Tilar on March 10, 2012, 08:04:38 PM
Actually the car has been fantastic, trouble free for 2 years. 

With all the crap you went through when you first got it, It's good to hear that.  :cheers:
It's true. Turn key ready for a good two years. I joke with people by saying, all I had to do was replace every part.  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Our relationship goes back over 30 years. Here's him doing my 396 Pace car back in 1984. He did all the body work and paint. That car was found in a field shot with bullet holes.  I just don't have the heart to get into a argument and ruin the friendship. When the back panel is done, it'll all be good. As long as he's not defensive? I've never seen him be that way. Very nice guy.

TUFCAT

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 11, 2012, 09:02:02 AM
After reading your post, you're probably right.
Yeah thanks.  I met him a long time ago because I saw his rare black Z/28 zip by my house one day.  I hunted him down and have been friends since.  He still has the Z.

1969chargerrtse

So my wife's car is at another body shop because of front end damage. I run down there over the weekend with a spare key to grab something out of it and it's outside with the key in the car in the on position and a dead battery with the doors unlocked. WTH?  Yet smother reason I do whatever I can by myself.

bill440rt

Geez... just saw this.  :rotz:
Man, that is terrible. Did you know up front he was planning on sandblasting? I didn't see you mention that in your post. He should never have sandblasted an assembled car like that. No matter how much masking, taping, etc you do the stuff WILL (and does) get everywhere. Hand tools (sanders, grinders, wire wheels, strip disc,) etc would have been the way to go prepping that trunk. I'd wager you have sandblast media up in & under your headliner as well.

I hope you get this all straightened out with him.
Good luck and keep us posted!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bill440rt on March 12, 2012, 07:06:47 AM
Geez... just saw this.  :rotz:
Man, that is terrible. Did you know up front he was planning on sandblasting? I didn't see you mention that in your post. He should never have sandblasted an assembled car like that. No matter how much masking, taping, etc you do the stuff WILL (and does) get everywhere. Hand tools (sanders, grinders, wire wheels, strip disc,) etc would have been the way to go prepping that trunk. I'd wager you have sandblast media up in & under your headliner as well.

I hope you get this all straightened out with him.
Good luck and keep us posted!
I had no idea about the sand blasting or the damage it would cause. That's kinda behind me. Now we need the black rear panel fixed and this weekend I found the right tire hump has huge long dripples of paint. He needs to pack it in.

1969chargerrtse

My buddy came through and re shot the rear panel for me using the PPG paint listed on one of our threads. He touched up the trunk area also. The back end came out real nice, but there was nothing wrong with it from the first time. Though I did it with Mopaints acrylic lacquer paint and he used the Urethane with harder which I guess is better. Post pics later as I'm on my iPhone.

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 17, 2012, 05:21:49 PM
My buddy came through and re shot the rear panel for me using the PPG paint listed on one of our threads. He touched up the trunk area also. The back end came out real nice, but there was nothing wrong with it the first time. Though I did it with Mopaints acrylic lacquer paint and he used the Urethane with harder which I guess is better. Post pics later as I'm on my iPhone.

:2thumbs:

bakerhillpins

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

1969chargerrtse

Ha, thanks.  Tomorrow I'll slap it back together and take another pic.
You can see the trunk gasket started lifting. Re glue. ::)

TUFCAT

Wow Rob...that's a lot of work!  How do you get this stuff done so fast?  :shruggy:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 17, 2012, 08:11:53 PM
Wow Rob...that's a lot of work!  How do you get this stuff done so fast?  :shruggy:

No not really. 4 3/4 size bolts for the bumper. The tail lamp screws and trim screws, lock clip and R/T badge, clean, tape and shoot. Had it apart and ready to shoot in 30 mins.

djcarguy

awesum car and color.great ya have been running and enjoy that pretty ride.rain n snow out on west coast.take care of that one.dj

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html