News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

I hope there's no salt dust on your roads....that stuff can get in every nook and cranny.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: TUFCAT on February 12, 2012, 09:10:38 PM
I hope there's no salt dust on your roads....that stuff can get in every nook and cranny.

Yep, and then every humid day it goes to work. Dispise that crap.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Gee, silly me.  I was kinda expecting to hear things like, that's great Rob you're finally getting the trunk done.  Man it'll look great, boy that car sure has come a long way since you got it 5 years ago.
The roads are fine it snowed I think twice this year?  At least I use my car compared to the many that sit in garages.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 13, 2012, 06:26:23 AM
Gee, silly me.  I was kinda expecting to hear things like, that's great Rob you're finally getting the trunk done.  Man it'll look great, boy that car sure has come a long way since you got it 5 years ago.
The roads are fine it snowed I think twice this year?  At least I use my car compared to the many that sit in garages.

Seriously?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Troy

Eh, had one of mine out yesterday too. If you didn't have the trunk fixed now (while it's mostly sitting) then you'd likely be doing it during prime cruising weather. I've had to tow mine (multiple cars) in the winter - even on slushy/salty roads(!) - because that's when the shops I know can get to them. At least this winter has been really mild.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 13, 2012, 10:39:13 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 13, 2012, 06:26:23 AM
Gee, silly me.  I was kinda expecting to hear things like, that's great Rob you're finally getting the trunk done.  Man it'll look great, boy that car sure has come a long way since you got it 5 years ago.
The roads are fine it snowed I think twice this year?  At least I use my car compared to the many that sit in garages.

Seriously?
Ha!  Or as today's kids say, really?
Good one.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Troy on February 13, 2012, 10:58:27 AM
Eh, had one of mine out yesterday too. If you didn't have the trunk fixed now (while it's mostly sitting) then you'd likely be doing it during prime cruising weather. I've had to tow mine (multiple cars) in the winter - even on slushy/salty roads(!) - because that's when the shops I know can get to them. At least this winter has been really mild.

Troy

Now that's what I'm taking about!!
Thanks  Troy. Yeah the guy had a slot open. Money wise this is not the best time. I tried to explain to my wife how 500.00 to have a show type trunk to match all the rest of the car was a huge bargain. Anytime I thought of selling the car I thought about the ugly trunk. We've been through this before. Drive it now before you die. No regrets!

Back N Black

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 13, 2012, 02:38:06 PM

Troy

Thanks  Troy. Yeah the guy had a slot open. Money wise this is not the best time. I tried to explain to my wife how 500.00 to have a show type trunk to match all the rest of the car was a huge bargain. Anytime I thought of selling the car I thought about the ugly trunk. We've been through this before. Drive it now before you die. No regrets!

$500 to prep and paint a trunk!  :o :o Its cheaper to buy a compressor and a paint gun. :shruggy:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Back N Black on February 13, 2012, 07:39:11 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 13, 2012, 02:38:06 PM

Troy

Thanks  Troy. Yeah the guy had a slot open. Money wise this is not the best time. I tried to explain to my wife how 500.00 to have a show type trunk to match all the rest of the car was a huge bargain. Anytime I thought of selling the car I thought about the ugly trunk. We've been through this before. Drive it now before you die. No regrets!

$500 to prep and paint a trunk!  :o :o Its cheaper to buy a compressor and a paint gun. :shruggy:
Worth every penny to me.  I painted my engine compartment and re did the trunk area under the stripe, so I know how to paint.   I have no problem giving him 500.00 and letting him do the job. It ain't pretty in there, some welding is needed also.  That's why it's taken me almost 5 years.  Just something I don't want to do.

bill440rt

$500 seems like a bargain to me. LOTS of prep work involved in all those nooks & crannies.
All depends how nice you want it to turn out.

And then there's refinishing the jack (IF you have the right one), jack hardware, correct spare, trunk cover, trunk mat, and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on...
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bill440rt on February 13, 2012, 08:45:08 PM
$500 seems like a bargain to me. LOTS of prep work involved in all those nooks & crannies.
All depends how nice you want it to turn out.

And then there's refinishing the jack (IF you have the right one), jack hardware, correct spare, trunk cover, trunk mat, and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on...
Yes. All the nook and crannies was the main issue. And yes, on and on and on. Not worried about an original jack. So there's a 400.00 savings.
I have a original type tire, the mat and behind the rear seat insulation and cardboard. I pulled the rear seats so he can mask and spray the cross members way back there.

1969chargerrtse

The trunk was sand blasted and sprayed.  The orange is a hair lighter but overall I'm happy it's done.  He also welded up the torn frame rails the stupid tow company tore and did some other small welding areas for me.  Worth the price I paid all the way.  He did the trunk gasket also.  Not the best butt to butt job, but I'll fix it.

Just 6T9 CHGR

No one will realize once the mat is in there.  Looks good.....wheres the seam for the trunk gasket though?  :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

twodko

That turned out very well, it's great when you get the rust out and new paint layed down. I did the same thing to my our 69 but a year or so later I've got some light rust signs here and there. Another member suggested putting a  bag of desiccant in there. I picked one up today so I'll see how it goes. Couldn't hurt to drop one in your fresh trunk. :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

WHITE AND RED 69

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Charger-Bodie

Looks a LOT better than before. You have yourself a Charger to be proud of!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

472 R/T SE

Looks like the rest of the car, awesome....but I must ask why the filler tube wasn't taken out, cleaned & painted.  New rubber on the trunk floor for the filler tube would be nice as well.  That way everything looks new.   :shruggy:

Rob, I was thinking about you today.  I was on an Otis elevator in a real nice medical building.  The walls of the elevator had sheets of what looked like were solid rock/granite.

So are elevators like cranes in that you have to take into consideration the hoist wire, hoist block or headache ball as part of the load.  What I mean is the elevator was rated @ 2500 lbs.  Was it say a 3500 or 3000 lb. elevator from the factory & they take whatever's on the walls into consideration to derate & reduce the official weight capacity?

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: TUFCAT on April 20, 2011, 09:37:02 PM
I know I'll get flames on this.....so here it goes.

V21 looked best on the 1970 R/T with the big 440 letters. :icon_smile_wink:

Well yes and no. It clearly looked best on the '70 with the deeper and straighter hood depressions. Callouts were another option even beyond that, and if you had to have 'em, I'd say make it say "HEMI."

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 07, 2012, 08:03:06 PM
No one will realize once the mat is in there.  Looks good.....wheres the seam for the trunk gasket though?  :scratchchin:
Trunk gasket seam is to the right of the lock as It was originally.  Bout 6" .

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on March 07, 2012, 10:16:28 PM
Looks like the rest of the car, awesome....but I must ask why the filler tube wasn't taken out, cleaned & painted.  New rubber on the trunk floor for the filler tube would be nice as well.  That way everything looks new.   :shruggy:

Rob, I was thinking about you today.  I was on an Otis elevator in a real nice medical building.  The walls of the elevator had sheets of what looked like were solid rock/granite.

So are elevators like cranes in that you have to take into consideration the hoist wire, hoist block or headache ball as part of the load.  What I mean is the elevator was rated @ 2500 lbs.  Was it say a 3500 or 3000 lb. elevator from the factory & they take whatever's on the walls into consideration to derate & reduce the official weight capacity?
I'll ask about the elevator thing today at work, and PM you. The tube was hit with the sand blasting also.  I'm gonna smooth it out with fine sand paper and then flat clear it.  I don't think they were ever painted, just bare metal.  If something is bare metal I like to leave it that way.  The rubber is new, just that the whole area still has dust blasting material all over it.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 08, 2012, 06:13:49 AM
No one will realize once the mat is in there.  Looks good.....wheres the seam for the trunk gasket though?  :scratchchin:
Trunk gasket seam is to the right of the lock as I was originally.  Bout 6" .

:thumbs:

Just wanted to see if you were paying attention ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

66FBCharger

Very nice Rob!
BTW, I love that you drive your car as much as you can. I still remember when I came down and you took me out for a ride. It was awesome (and was my first ride in a '69 Charger). I share your views on driving our Chargers. I took mine out in late Dec. in the 20* weather just because I was missing driving it. I would love to drive it all year round if I could. My car is by no means a show car, so I have no problem driving it and enjoying it! This year has been different, with us only having 2 or 3 snow storms and lots of rain to wash the salt off the roads.
Keep driving that R/T and enjoying it!
John
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Back N Black

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 08, 2012, 06:13:49 AM
No one will realize once the mat is in there.  Looks good.....wheres the seam for the trunk gasket though?  :scratchchin:
Trunk gasket seam is to the right of the lock as It was originally.  Bout 6" .

I thought the trunk seam was to the left of the lock? i guess i did mine wrong????

TUFCAT

Looks really nice Rob!!  

As others have said, its always a good idea to hide a couple a bags of desiccant in the spare tire well.  I bought my bags from Year One because they can be dried out just by throwing them in your oven if damp.  I don't know if they're still available but its worth a try! :2thumbs:

BTW, are you driving your sweetheart to Carlisle?  Between you and Bakerhillpins sitting on the fence.... I don't know if its worth my airfare if I can't see both cars!  LOL.  :D :D