News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Back N Black on March 08, 2012, 02:31:04 PM

I thought the trunk seam was to the left of the lock? i guess i did mine wrong????

IIRC it could be either way....just not in the center (like I did mine 15 years ago :slap: )
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

tan top

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 07, 2012, 07:36:28 PM
The trunk was sand blasted and sprayed.  The orange is a hair lighter but overall I'm happy it's done.  He also welded up the torn frame rails the stupid tow company tore and did some other small welding areas for me.  Worth the price I paid all the way.  He did the trunk gasket also.  Not the best butt to butt job, but I'll fix it.

:2thumbs:   :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 08, 2012, 05:16:12 PM
Quote from: Back N Black on March 08, 2012, 02:31:04 PM

I thought the trunk seam was to the left of the lock? i guess i did mine wrong????

IIRC it could be either way....just not in the center (like I did mine 15 years ago :slap: )
I didn't say nothing.  Found it odd you were asking me.  :icon_smile_wink:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Bad news for me. Kinda real bad.  I went to vacuum the trunk and there were piles of sand blasting material in the corners and cracks everywhere.  As I pulled it up the paint came with it.  I have SB stuff up in my headliner and down in the windows.  The right rear power window was all original and worked like new.  Now it won't move.  SB stuff everywhere.  My total was 600.00 and I owed him 300.00 for the bal.  After all the work ahead of me because there is a orange tint covering every inch of the interior, I'm not paying the bal.  He has a rim and jack base coming to me, but I guess I won't get that as I'm not paying the bal.  He's a long time friend and a nice guy but what I have a head of me is not worth me paying him also.  Bummer.  I have to paint the bare metal areas now also. Ugh.  The picture with the pile SB material is at the base of the right rear window.  The stuff is jammend everywhere.  My interior " was " like new, now it's dusty and orange tint.
Word of caution.  Don't let someone SB your trunk if your interior is restored.  No joke I pulled out 10 lbs of SB stuff, so far.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Musicman

TUFCAT

That's horrible news. I feel bad for you obviously you have to get that grit out of everything especially those cat whiskers.

Plastic sheets and masking tape is so cheap....wow! This guy is such a DICK :fu:

Don't roll down any windows!!

1969chargerrtse

He had the back seat area masked off but the hard pressure must of blown through.  UGH!!

tan top

:icon_smile_blackeye: damn it  , sorry to hear & see this Rob ,

i remember when i blasted a few bits   , even though mine was an empty body shell at the time  , i  covered  most of it  up , but was still a day blowing out with compresses air  , & vacuuming frame rails etc rockers  , adapted a small hose for the vacuum cleaner about 5/16" & a 1/4" ,  could get into every where then  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TUFCAT

Quote from: tan top on March 09, 2012, 08:08:26 PM

adapted a small hose for the vacuum cleaner about 5/16" & a 1/4" ,  could get into every where then  :yesnod:

Great Idea!

bakerhillpins

UGH, that completely sucks.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:   Very crappy thing to stumble upon.

Not trying to :stirthepot: but have you even talked to him about it?

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 09, 2012, 07:53:08 PM
He had the back seat area masked off but the hard pressure must of blown through.  UGH!!

Isn't it hollow up over the outer wheel house? I bet it all blew up over that and down in behind the rear wall panel. Would have had to stuffed something up in under the sail panels to try to keep it from going through there. That or pull the rear "door" panel.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 08, 2012, 04:29:41 PM
BTW, are you driving your sweetheart to Carlisle?  Between you and Bakerhillpins sitting on the fence.... I don't know if its worth my airfare if I can't see both cars!  LOL.  :D :D

I have a bunch of work to put in and a bunch of hours to put behind the wheel so that I feel more comfortable about the 8hr drive. If I travel in a convoy that would certainly go a long way in lowering my overall stress level about going on a trip like that with so few miles of experience with her.  :yesnod:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

TUFCAT

Quote from: bakerhillpins on March 09, 2012, 09:02:34 PM

If I travel in a convoy that would certainly go a long way in lowering my overall stress level about going on a trip like that with so few miles of experience with her.  :yesnod:

Uh Oh Bryan...did you just mention "Convoy"?  :D :D  Iinstall a CB radio and hit the road for Carlisle ! :cheers: Mopars will follow. :icon_smile_wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAPRrdgYU7o

'Cause we got a great big convoy
Rockin through the night
Yeah we got a great big convoy
Ain't she a beautiful sight
C'mon and join our convoy
Aint nothin gonna get in our way
We gonna roll this CHARGER CONVOY 'cross the USA

Convoy.....!!

TUFCAT

Charger-Bodie

Geez Rob. Sorry to see this. Sounds like a huge mess. I think you hold him accountable.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Not sure what to do?  He's away in Main this weekend so I'm gonna tell him I spent the whole weekend pulling the car apart and cleaning it, which may be true.   He's a great guy and a friend.  I think I'm gonna ask him if I give him just 100.00 more 400.00 total?  I hate these uncomfortable situations with friends.
The damage is a trunk gasket that has a ugly butt splice, a small piece of the R/T stripe in the water channel well part has a piece missing, a seat button has fallen off, the whole interior has a light orange tint ( not that bad, very light ), and SB stuff behind the rear panels and up and over the rear fender wells. My tail lamp harness was spiced all over the place and those splices were apart so I had to spend time redoing that also. And of course I have bare metal spots that need to be primed and paint, via a spray bomb this time.  He did a lot also though.  He welded my frame rails, SB ( did I mention that ) the trunk and filled some holes, the two larger holes near the bumper were cut out so he welded in sheet metal and drilled 2 new 2 1/2" in holes, welded the brace behind the rear seat to the hump. and put on the trunk rubber.  Thing is he is getting me a correct rim, and jack base and SB it and painting it, for free.  I hate to lose that.
Originally he told me just the trunk was 500.00 and paint and he just added 100.00 for all the extra work and didn't add the paint cost. I kinda feel I should let him know what a mess and make sure I get the rim and base and let it go, but let him know what a mess.   :think:  Just not sure what to do? Not a biggy. I'll clean the car up this weekend and then think about it.

Charger-Bodie

Does the orange tint clean off the interior? Or is it stuck on good enuf that you will need to replace it?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 10, 2012, 07:17:52 AM
Just not sure what to do? Not a biggy. I'll clean the car up this weekend and then think about it.

Sometimes, the best thing to do is just step back and give it a day or two anyhow. But get in touch with him now and say you want to talk with him when he gets back. If he is a good friend to you you need to air it out. If you are a good friend to him he will make an effort to correct it. Just make sure you get all of the stuff that bothers you out there because if you don't it will eat at you.  If it works you you know you do have a friend, and if it doesn't you also know where you stand.  :Twocents:

Good luck, these situations are never easy.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Just 6T9 CHGR

Hate when shit like this happens....is this the first time he used a sand blaster?  A little prep work goes a long way :rotz:

Any overspray on the body of the car?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 10, 2012, 08:41:08 AM
Does the orange tint clean off the interior? Or is it stuck on good enuf that you will need to replace it?
Good news is it cleans off. Bad news is I found paint damage on the black panel where the tail lights are. I'll post pics later. That paint was 85.00 a pint!

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 10, 2012, 09:57:10 AM
Hate when shit like this happens....is this the first time he used a sand blaster?  A little prep work goes a long way :rotz:

Any overspray on the body of the car?
Yeah on the tail panel. Both sides. Looks like some orange got on the panel and they wiped it with reducer that took the black off. Broken rear window guide from jamming up. Etc  

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bakerhillpins on March 10, 2012, 09:42:35 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 10, 2012, 07:17:52 AM
Just not sure what to do? Not a biggy. I'll clean the car up this weekend and then think about it.

Sometimes, the best thing to do is just step back and give it a day or two anyhow. But get in touch with him now and say you want to talk with him when he gets back. If he is a good friend to you you need to air it out. If you are a good friend to him he will make an effort to correct it. Just make sure you get all of the stuff that bothers you out there because if you don't it will eat at you.  If it works you you know you do have a friend, and if it doesn't you also know where you stand.  :Twocents:

Good luck, these situations are never easy.
Ther is no way I'm putting out a penny and he's repairing the trunk bare areas or the tail panel. If he's a good friend he'll loan me a paint gun.

Scaregrabber

I dunno, He did a lot of work for you. It's not to easy (perhaps not even possible) to sandblast an assembled car and not run into the issues that happened. I never would have tried it myself. I think it was a learning experience for both of you. I bet neither one of you will try it again.

Sheldon

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Scaregrabber on March 10, 2012, 12:49:55 PM
I dunno, He did a lot of work for you. It's not to easy (perhaps not even possible) to sandblast an assembled car and not run into the issues that happened. I never would have tried it myself. I think it was a learning experience for both of you. I bet neither one of you will try it again.

Sheldon

I've never sandblasted anything but know the shit gets everywhere.  First clue paint might get inside the car would have been the massive amounts of dust from sandblasting.

Right then & there I would have realized I don't have it sealed good enough so if I didn't take the time to try & do a better job of containment I would have only put a fraction of paint in the gun so I could stop while painting to see if the paint was getting everywhere.

Yeah sure, it's easy to say after the fact for some people.  I think crane rental instilled the constant "what if" in me.

Yeah, so it's more time involved.  BFD, next time bid a job that takes this into consideration instead of lowballing it to get the work & have this blow up in your face.

I tell ya' what Rob, I thought I had shitty luck.   ::)

1969chargerrtse

Here are some pics.  The black panel is what sucks the most.  That was a special paint that cost me 85.00 and I can't find it?  Must of used it when I did the dash. Also a new chip but I can touch it up.

1969chargerrtse

And a cracked console from sitting on it wile he welded a bracket near the back.  sloppy gasket and torn stripe.