News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should have known this was to good to be true. What a Scam !

Started by BMOTOXSTAR, October 07, 2007, 09:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

Sometimes the scammer is not a foreigner with bad grammar, & not obvious in being deceitful. Several years back on the old Charger message board, I had posted some info on a "potential" lead to a Daytona Charger project. I did that because I had given up after about 6 months of trying to see the car, get photos, have calls returned, & getting the run around.

There was still a remote chance that the car was real, so I detailed all the BS I went through & offered all the contact info on the forum. Someone on the board, but I forget who, did go to the address (In Mississippi I think?) to see if the car existed, but they said there was no Daytona or Charger visible on the property & no signs of any other cars.

The ad was originally on ebay, but not for a Daytona. It was an auction for an early 60's Impala, but somewhere in the text the seller mentioned other cars that were available. One of the others mentioned was the Daytona. I emailed the seller through the "Ask The Seller A Question" feature & inquired about the Daytona. He emailed me back about the car & included his phone number.

I called, the person was real & seemed decent, so we talked about Chargers & cars for at least a half hour or so. He wasn't a Mopar nut, but just liked old cars in general & was selling a few. We left the conversation with him getting me some photos & sending them, but that was the last time we spoke. I emailed him regularly, & called at least 2 to 3 times each week.

The car was supposed to have been a fairly solid, 440 project car, missing very little, but I don't recall much more about it. The asking price of $10K was about half of what projects were going for at the time, so it seemed very real & not those mint, Hemi show cars with a buy it now of $8500 & instructions to contact them privately.

I immediately went on line & priced airfare & car rentals, then told my wife I was planning to go see it that weekend with intentions of leaving a deposit. She seemed excited thinking we were all going, but I said if it's real we can all go back down with the car trailer another day. By the end of the week the airline & car rental plans changed to yard work or something.

I have a remote feeling that the guy I was in touch with may have only speculated on buying what may or may not have been a Daytona. Also, one of the last emails I got, had changed the price he wanted from $10K to $45K. That's when I said screw it & posted it on the old board. Never leave any stone unturned, but don't believe everything you hear without verifying it either.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry