News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

One of None R/T more to the story Pics & Numbers

Started by OneofNoneRT, October 12, 2007, 10:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneofNoneRT

Thanks to all with the support.. What happened was I, like all, asked a simple tech question unrelated to the sunroof and I wrote at the end that I had a 68 R/T sunroof car  :popcrn:
I was immediately informed  by the "I Bleed Blue Crew" that I did not .. it was not an option in 68' .. I responded back  that " Boy it sure does look factory to me.. and one of the posts back stated ( among other snide comments) " Ahhh..Its another One Of None" They wasn't even gonna give me a chance to show my cards.. Needless to say I turned out the lights and went to bed :icon_smile_dissapprove:.. Anyway it Is or it isn't doesn't matter to me anymore fact is I could careless now :nana:.. The resto is in motion and trying to have it done for its Birthday ( Realistically Fall 08) .. Thanks for lettin me get it off my chest . Now the Numbers and pics..
Vin #XS29L8B361253
1968 R/T 440/4 Spd (Prototype Factory Sunroof)
2008 R/T 5.7l HEMI (Road & Track)

OneofNoneRT

jwilk01

Awsome car and can't wait to see it all done.  Definatly one of a kind.

Later
Josh

OneofNoneRT

More

Troy

Check out the scheduled production date of 426 (5th code from the left on the bottom line). :2thumbs:

440, 4 speed, F70-14 redline tires, 3.54/3.55 sure-grip, white and blue(!) vinyl bucket seats, light blue metallic paint, white bumblebee stripe, 26" radiator, power brakes, AM radio, tachometer, tinted windshield only, bucket seats (no console and no buddy seat OR two buckets and a big stick - just like I'm building mine :D), and lastly it's a sold car (ordered this way).

That's a cool car no matter what!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

This is definitely a stock rebuild candidate. I wouldn't modify much on her if I were you.

Is there a code on the fender tag for the sunroof?

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

69CoronetRT

Quote from: bull on October 13, 2007, 08:56:49 AM
This is definitely a stock rebuild candidate. I wouldn't modify much on her if I were you.

No
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Troy

Quote from: TK73 on October 13, 2007, 09:26:12 AM
Quote from: bull on October 13, 2007, 08:56:49 AM

Check this out Bull:

http://www.mymopar.com/tools.htm
There's no code on the fender tag for the sunroof - even on 69 Chargers. One thing I just remembered when I was verifying that information is that all sunroof cars (in 69 at least) had vinyl tops even though they weren't coded for one on the fender tag either.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10343.0.html

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

OneofNoneRT

Thanks Guys.. Only mods planning are a few tweeks to the 440 ( crate, Lost engine in 1979.. didnt realize at the time how important it was!) and of course wheels and tires.. I have the headliner down and there is no evidence the top has been off.. remember when I got the car it was 11 years old. I took it for granted for years it was factory original..Until I posted a couple years ago. Then the questions came rolling in...I read that about no charger came out with a sunroof that was not a vinyl top.. how could I determine if it had a vinyl top?.. I find no signs anywhere evident.. See what I mean "One of None!" :coolgleamA:

OneofNoneRT

No buddy seat?? Hmm :scratchchin:..I have one .. Doesnt seem to be right though.. never was fastened in.. never figured out how it was originally installed.. When I got the car it had real cool Blue thick shag carpeting :eek2:.. I assumed they removed any brackets then and never bothered to reinstall???

UFO

Signs of a vinyl roof are filled trim holes on C pillar.If glass is out look for remnants of where the original vinyl would have been stapled.In the same edge as the moulding clips are screwed into.
In regards to the buddy seat in the pic I posted.Its possible that it was staged that way.Most other times I found that same pic cropped to remove the 68 seats.

UFO

I looked at another clearer pic of the sunroof and its definitely a electric powered unit.
That manual crank pic looks like a mid 70s option that was installed.In the 77 dealer book it was available with/without vinyl top.
Does that make it any less fun? Nope,restore it and enjoy it.

UFO

Its not uncommon for mods to be done years ago.I did added a sunroof to my own in the 80s,along with power windows,cruise control with a 6pack.Screw on a fender tag from a cop car that says "special order",sit back and watch peoples reactions.

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OneofNoneRT

So far..Best i can tell is that American Sunroof Corporation was putting sunroofs in Dodge cars in 68.. Dodge would put them on a train ship them.. ASC would install and send them back..I dont think the suroof option was ever a part of the actual assembly line.. Did mine catch a ride..I dont know?? :scratchchin:

OneofNoneRT

As far as manual crank..I read about a 68 dart having sunroof w/ manual crank.. was it GTS maybe?  cannot remember??

69CoronetRT

Quote from: OneofNoneRT on October 13, 2007, 02:36:57 PM
So far..Best i can tell is that American Sunroof Corporation was putting sunroofs in Dodge cars in 68.. Dodge would put them on a train ship them.. ASC would install and send them back..I dont think the suroof option was ever a part of the actual assembly line.. Did mine catch a ride..I dont know?? :scratchchin:

Your sales order number does not indicate any special handling or modifications. Was the roof installed at the factory or by a factory authorized third party before it was delivered to the dealer or sold to the public? Doubtful but  :shruggy:. It doesn't sound like any proof exists that indicates it was.

Until it can be proven with factory documents or reliable witnesses to testify that something exists that wasn't supposed to...you own a really cool car.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

OneofNoneRT

I like that .. :yesnod: "Innocent until proven guilty..."

Alaskan_TA

The Charger sunroof from 1969-1971 was electric and operated by a switch. The manually operated crank style was first available in 1973;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1973/73_Charger_Total0012.jpg

The sunroof is coded on 1969 Charger sunroof car fender tags, the VON numbers start 928xxx

Barry

tan top

hmmm   intresting stuff :yesnod:   :popcrn:  i'm guessing you have already tried this  :yesnod: but  any way of finding out previous owners :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69_500

Barry beat me to it about the VON giving away if it had a sunroof or not. Your right though, that Chrysler didn't install them, but American Sunroof Corporation did. You would have to ask Chris, but I don't recall many very early 69's with sunroofs. Most of the sunroof cars I've seen are from mid year on.

Alaskan_TA

The earliest '69 Charger with a sunroof that I have seen so far has an SPD of Nov. 26. It would not surprise me if Chris knows of some before that.

Barry

69_500

Oddly enough they did go through in batches though. It seems that they would wait until there was 8-10 of them ordered and then send them all at once to ASC to have the sunroofs installed.

Alaskan_TA