News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar 413 engine - thoughts anyone?

Started by mcain, October 11, 2007, 07:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcain

I have read good and bad about the 413 engine.. I have a chance to pick one up (and trans) for $400, running good condition.. have a 318 in my 66 charger now and wanted to upgrade.. dont know much about the 413 other than what I have read so I thought Id ask the experts.. anyone have an opinion?

Thanks

mally69

There were a few different types of 413's most common i would think was put in a motor home but regardless of which one it is, if you throw in a decent cam, intake, pistons  and heads that should be a decently stiff engine  :2thumbs:   i would buy it 

beedees

Be sure you know WHICH 413 your'e looking at...... indust., truck engines most easily I.D.'d by looking at the crank flange. Eight bolts is a difinite no. (no, it's not a hemi crank...nothing will fit except the ind. stuff, plus the heads,etc. are mostly good for boat anchors, etc.

skyhawk61

Off-the-shelf 413 pistons in 9 to 1 or higher compression have been getting harder to find lately, and were fairly expensive even when they were more common.  The 413 cast pistons made by Badger that I put in my Chrysler 300G engine a few years back ran about $65 each.  I hear reports from my 300 Club friends that 413 pistons (except for the low compression motor home pistons)have all but dried up.  You can probably find custom units, though.  Most of the other stuff can be gotten from auto parts sources that sell stuff for 440's.

chargerbr549

We did a 413 which was originally a truck motor awhile back and we ended up using stock bore (4.250) 426 wedge pistons which is a .070 overbore on a 413(4.180), and for the crank we used a stock 440 passenger car and pick-up crank which is the same as the pass. 413 and  426 wedge. I don't remember who we got the pistons from but they must still be available.

Kevin

Ghoste

Of course, you're picking it up cheap and all other big block components will bolt onto it.  Buy it, stroke it, add a set of aftermarket heads, and never look back.

firefighter3931

Quote from: chargerbr549 on October 11, 2007, 08:50:33 PM
We did a 413 which was originally a truck motor awhile back and we ended up using stock bore (4.250) 426 wedge pistons which is a .070 overbore on a 413(4.180), and for the crank we used a stock 440 passenger car and pick-up crank which is the same as the pass. 413 and  426 wedge. I don't remember who we got the pistons from but they must still be available.

Kevin

A friend has the exact same motor...413 bored .070 over. It now displaces 426ci and runs great.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs