News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

whats the best way to come accross a "find"

Started by kylem4711, October 09, 2007, 09:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylem4711

so im 21 and finally have enough money to where i can buy my dream car,  a  68-70 charger.

the thing is, i cant find any deals.

by the time any chargers reach craigslist, auto trader, and of course ebay,   they are not really "finds" anymore.

I go to the local car shows but have had no luck.

Just for a reference, i have about 13, i can maaaaybe get 15,

I would love a 4-speed, but i know how rare they are,

any suggestions?

i know probably not either,  but anyone know of any chargers?   anything?     

I live in california and would definitely ship.

I just want a Charger!!

thanks guys
1970 dodge charger rt 440 4-speed
1973 plymouth barracuda 4-speed

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

kylem4711

thanks.

the second two registry sites dont get very many chargers for sale though...

thanks tho

Chad L. Magee

The best bet to finding the cars you are looking for is to check as many sources as you can: internet, magazines, classifieds, car shows and plain looking around the area.  Each of these sources have yielded me cars for my collection.  The deals are out there, but you must look for them and don't expect them to find you (especially with the internet and B-J).  I found alot of my cars through word of mouth by flat asking people if they knew any cars like them in the area.  Very few Chargers that you find out in the wild will be for sale, so remember to not get your hopes too high up if you just happen to find one.  Sometimes you have to wait years for the right one to come up for sale.  I have been waiting a decade (and will wait a few more) for a certain Daytona to finally go on the market........
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

kylem4711

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on October 09, 2007, 10:52:16 PM
The best bet to finding the cars you are looking for is to check as many sources as you can: internet, magazines, classifieds, car shows and plain looking around the area.  Each of these sources have yielded me cars for my collection.  The deals are out there, but you must look for them and don't expect them to find you (especially with the internet and B-J).  I found alot of my cars through word of mouth by flat asking people if they knew any cars like them in the area.  Very few Chargers that you find out in the wild will be for sale, so remember to not get your hopes too high up if you just happen to find one.  Sometimes you have to wait years for the right one to come up for sale.  I have been waiting a decade (and will wait a few more) for a certain Daytona to finally go on the market........

i hate waiting, unfortunately though,  there is no other choice tho.

p.s. ill let you know if i ever find a daytona.  those are a bit out of my league

CaptMarvel

Since my 68 R/T was a "field find" Ill chime in....I think you've got to be able and willing to devote time just driving around in areas you may not normally. Those dirt roads and even depressed parts of town usually prone to the Olds & Chevys (yep, thats where I found her- just sitting under a tarp at a vacant house.) The owner was selling the house and didnt really want to haul the charger along, he just didnt want to let the charger go for peanuts, so 3K later, I drove a factory 68 R/T home, and that was only about 3 yrs ago. Point is, those mythical unicorns may be few and far between, but they are out there, just keep driving around and scoping out those alleys, pastures and rural areas. Also, offer green cash and fast and dont think you'll pick one up for 1982 prices, be realisitic. Jump on it if it even seems like the least bit do-able. Chance are, there are several others driving around looking for them too. I've never had much sympathy for those that hesitate and go home to think about it and then grumble cause they didnt get it...

kylem4711

interesting stuff,   and im not gonna lie.  i have hesitated a couple times and ive been pretty mad after.   i have learned my lesson though.   also,  i live in the city, so i wont be finding a barn find,   but i do drive different ways home, just to see if i see anything.  im not expecting to find anything for nothing either.  i just want a good deal/good project that i can keep for many many years

thats a great find that you had too. good job!

thanks for the hints too

41husk

Keep your eyes and ears open, theres still deals out there.  Let people know what you are interested in.  I have had people come up and say" You a mopar guy? I know a guy that has an old Dodge for sale" Just because I had a mopar shirt on.  Often kids at school will come and tell me of a car for sale, because they see me brieng my cars to school during nice weather.  Run down all leads and keep saving your money, the closer you can get to turn key the better off you are :Twocents:   And good luck!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Old Moparz

The one thing you really have to have aside from the cash, is patience. If you don't have it, you might end up buying the first, overpriced, POS you see. Just because you have a certain amount set aside, don't plan on spending every penny of it, & definitely don't let the seller know how much you're spending. Also make sure you look at more than one car in the same price range to compare. It's no different than getting several estimates on something before buying to know who's too high, who's too low, or who's offering the most for the dollar.

I've had good luck on ebay & Moparts with the last 4 cars I bought, but I went to see them in person to make sure it was what I expected. This includes planning an overnight stay as well, but I've made them into a weekend trips with the family. My wife & 8 year old daughter aren't gearheads, but enjoy getting away to a hotel & a pool once in a while. It does run the total price of the car higher in the end, but not as high as being ripped off & there won't be any disappointments delivered in the darkness of night.

Do a search on this site for "hlpag" from Illinois to see how bad it can be, & make sure to stay away from them no matter how good something they have appears. If you don't, go put all your hand down the garbage disposal up to your wrist, it'll be less painful.   :o

Here's an example of comparisons I did was with buying my Road Runner. I wanted a 4 speed 1970 GTX at first, but the difference in price led me to look at Belvederes, Satellites, & Road Runners. I looked seriously at about 8 different cars over a 6 month stretch with prices from $8000 to $23,000 each. The big price difference was because some were Satellites & Belvederes, while others were big block cars. Getting emails with decent photos eliminated half of them, & one member on here also looked at a car for me on the west coast.

The 2 I liked the most were, a burnt orange, 440 GTX with a 4 speed for $23,000 in CT, & the lime, 440 Road Runner with a 4 speed that I bought for $16,000 in NJ. (I'm in NY & drove 90 minutes to see the GTX & 2 hours to see the RR.) The GTX was very nice, but was missing some key things & had too many minor flaws. The Road Runner was a nicer car, & had more going for it like a fresh 440, an air grabber hood, & a brand new interior. It would have taken $5000 to get the GTX to where I wanted it, but only $1500 for the RR.

For me, I was more interested in having the 1970 Plymouth body more than having a GTX. It was kind of like settling for a Charger RT that was in better shape than a Charger RT/SE that needed work.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

justin1987

Just keep asking around. The only reason I found mine was because my dad was talking to his friend about Chargers and a guy walked in the door and said, "I know where a 69 Charger is." I was thinking the whole time that it would probably be a 74 model or something like that. I was really surprised at how good the body was on it. It had been garage kept most of its life which cut down on most of the rust. We caught the guy in a middle of a divorce, a job change, and a move. We got it for an very very low price. I could have flipped it the next day on E-bay for about three times the amount we paid for it. Deals and finds are still out there. Just keep talking to people and keep asking if anybody knows where one is at.

PocketThunder

Kyle you dont like your barracuda?  I can see wanting a 68~70 Charger (well, mabye not a 70 :icon_smile_blackeye:) but your barracuda must be fun to drive.  Get that sucker on craigslist and then put your cash together and you can get a nice driver Charger for almost $20k.  :scratchchin:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

TripleBlackGator

I just snagged this DEAL from a co-worker. I see a lot of cars just driving around. They just aren't always for sale.....YET! Look in backyards and in garages when the doors are open. I just spied what looks like a nice red 1970 Cuda inside a garage. They ARE out there. Just hiding.
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

dukeboy_318

They are out there man, i was hunting on this site for over three years and driving around looking before i finally found my charger back in April of this year.  Its a 74 but its the only charger i found that i could afford,  I actually picked it up for only 800 bucks, running and driving.  With that money, you should be able to find one, itll just take time.  My dad pulled a 71 RT non running 440 just a fewmonths ago out from a wooded area behind a coworkers house for only 500 dollars, complete car too, not bad rust was, not good either.  He had it for about a week and one day while he was working on it, a guy stopped by and bought it for 5100, so just ask people.  kepp your head up, you'll find one
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

chargerman68

i think u said u live in cali if u can get 2 fall fling in van nuys,ca on nov 10 there are some cars there
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

bordin34

I have "found"
-1971 Challenger R/T 340 4-Speed
-2 /6 Dusters
-E-Body Barracuda
-1968 Charger
-2 3rd Gens
But none of them have been for sale. The best way to find something is go out into the country and try to get lost.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

69chargeryeehaa

i posted a wanted add on all the message boards, i got a reply from a add on moparts, and found this for a awesome deal:

it's in my garage now  :yesnod: :nana:

i ended up driving it 1200mi home!!!! :cheers:  The wanted add sure worked out for me.  Best part was that the car was'nt actually posted anywhere for sale, so i did'nt have to worry about loosing the car to someone else.

GeneralLeeTESH

Found THIS 1965 Shelby GT350 in a Barn in Renton, WA. in 1994. Got it for $4000.00 from the original owner. The car was advertised in the Little Nickel want ads paper and my WIFE found it!
http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewzoom.cgi?image=3254
Check the local paper and nickel ads and HEMMINGS and www.racingjunk.com.
Remember-if you wanna get a Ford or MOPAR cheap-buy it from a guy whose RELIGION is CHEVROLET !!!
not bad-considering the last one sold @ Barrett Jackson for $ 375,000.00  !!!
The TESH

pettyfan43

Sometimes they just show up! My 66 just fell into my lap. My Dad was buying a 49 Ford Coupe from a guy and my 66 was sitting in under the same pole barn, he just asked about it and I got a killer deal on it.

You just never know where a car will turn up.

Uncover every rock and follow every lead, sooner or later you'll hit paydirt.

go to car shows that DON'T specialize in Mopars, but KNOW what you are looking at.

kylem4711

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 10, 2007, 12:59:57 PM
Kyle you dont like your barracuda?  I can see wanting a 68~70 Charger (well, mabye not a 70 :icon_smile_blackeye:) but your barracuda must be fun to drive.  Get that sucker on craigslist and then put your cash together and you can get a nice driver Charger for almost $20k.  :scratchchin:

Hey whats up?

i do like my barracuda,   its just been my dream to get a 68 or 70 charger though...
i am considering craigs though.

i dont know if it has to come down to that yet tho

kylem4711

Quote from: Old Moparz on October 10, 2007, 09:25:33 AM
The one thing you really have to have aside from the cash, is patience. If you don't have it, you might end up buying the first, overpriced, POS you see. Just because you have a certain amount set aside, don't plan on spending every penny of it, & definitely don't let the seller know how much you're spending. Also make sure you look at more than one car in the same price range to compare. It's no different than getting several estimates on something before buying to know who's too high, who's too low, or who's offering the most for the dollar.

I've had good luck on ebay & Moparts with the last 4 cars I bought, but I went to see them in person to make sure it was what I expected. This includes planning an overnight stay as well, but I've made them into a weekend trips with the family. My wife & 8 year old daughter aren't gearheads, but enjoy getting away to a hotel & a pool once in a while. It does run the total price of the car higher in the end, but not as high as being ripped off & there won't be any disappointments delivered in the darkness of night.

Do a search on this site for "hlpag" from Illinois to see how bad it can be, & make sure to stay away from them no matter how good something they have appears. If you don't, go put all your hand down the garbage disposal up to your wrist, it'll be less painful.   :o

Here's an example of comparisons I did was with buying my Road Runner. I wanted a 4 speed 1970 GTX at first, but the difference in price led me to look at Belvederes, Satellites, & Road Runners. I looked seriously at about 8 different cars over a 6 month stretch with prices from $8000 to $23,000 each. The big price difference was because some were Satellites & Belvederes, while others were big block cars. Getting emails with decent photos eliminated half of them, & one member on here also looked at a car for me on the west coast.

The 2 I liked the most were, a burnt orange, 440 GTX with a 4 speed for $23,000 in CT, & the lime, 440 Road Runner with a 4 speed that I bought for $16,000 in NJ. (I'm in NY & drove 90 minutes to see the GTX & 2 hours to see the RR.) The GTX was very nice, but was missing some key things & had too many minor flaws. The Road Runner was a nicer car, & had more going for it like a fresh 440, an air grabber hood, & a brand new interior. It would have taken $5000 to get the GTX to where I wanted it, but only $1500 for the RR.

For me, I was more interested in having the 1970 Plymouth body more than having a GTX. It was kind of like settling for a Charger RT that was in better shape than a Charger RT/SE that needed work.

very helpful.  thanks a lot

kylem4711

Quote from: GeneralLeeTESH on October 10, 2007, 03:09:18 PM
Found THIS 1965 Shelby GT350 in a Barn in Renton, WA. in 1994. Got it for $4000.00 from the original owner. The car was advertised in the Little Nickel want ads paper and my WIFE found it!
http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewzoom.cgi?image=3254
Check the local paper and nickel ads and HEMMINGS and www.racingjunk.com.
Remember-if you wanna get a Ford or MOPAR cheap-buy it from a guy whose RELIGION is CHEVROLET !!!
not bad-considering the last one sold @ Barrett Jackson for $ 375,000.00  !!!

well thats just ridiculous!!!!

TheAutoArchaeologist

I've found hundreds of different cars in barns and garages, fields, etc...

You just have to drive around.  Ask people if they know of any, heard of any, etc.... That is what will give you a direction.
Take a look at the links in my sig line below to give you an idea of what you can find.

I found these just in the past 4 months!

A 68 Charger J-code.
69 Charger R/T SE 440
69 Charger R/T 440
70 Charger R/T 440
72 Cuda
69 Road Runner last week
55 Chevy Sedan Delivery
69 AMX

Most of those came from hearing a story, and following up on it.  That's how I got all of my cars.

Example :

Ryan

bill440rt

:iagree:

Chances are if it's in MCG, B-J, Hemmings, e-Bay, or even thru a "classic car dealer," chances are it's not gonna be a "deal." Best place is thru simple word of mouth & friends.
I found my '69 thru a friend, who spotted it one day just sitting front of a guy's house. My buddy had the time to scope out old Mopars, & knew I was looking for a project.
Granted, the car was R-U-F-F, but it was located only 15 minutes from my home (really!), & I scored a super cheap deal on a decent project car. Right place, right time, the guy had to sell right away.
On the flip side, I had to travel to Spokane, WA on the opposite side of the country for me for my '70! Yikes!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

kylem4711

Quote from: bill440rt on October 10, 2007, 08:04:47 PM
:iagree:

Chances are if it's in MCG, B-J, Hemmings, e-Bay, or even thru a "classic car dealer," chances are it's not gonna be a "deal." Best place is thru simple word of mouth & friends.
I found my '69 thru a friend, who spotted it one day just sitting front of a guy's house. My buddy had the time to scope out old Mopars, & knew I was looking for a project.
Granted, the car was R-U-F-F, but it was located only 15 minutes from my home (really!), & I scored a super cheap deal on a decent project car. Right place, right time, the guy had to sell right away.
On the flip side, I had to travel to Spokane, WA on the opposite side of the country for me for my '70! Yikes!

did you travel to spokane recently?

i remember there being one for sale, but the guy never picked up