News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many horses does A/C cost?

Started by mindless1, October 09, 2007, 05:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mindless1

I have a '69 charger with the compressor still installed and a belt still run to it, but no plumbing currently hooked up.  I plan to recondition the A/C unit and make it functional again (I live in Phoenix, air conditioning is required 6 months a year if you want to live).  For now I'm going to take it off so I can work on the pieces -  any one have a guess as to how many hp it cost to turn the compressor to this point - even though it wasn't actually 'on'?   What if it was on once I repair it?

Also...anyone know a good place to get these old units fixed? I have a couple...

471_Magnum

The big RV2s are really inefficient. Freewheeling they don't cost you much (other than 40 lbs of dead weight), but pumping, I'd guess about 15-25 hp depending on the rpm. They do not like high RPM either.

For efficiency, the Sanden compressor is the way to go. I think one of the AC retrofit kit companies did a dyno test a few years back. On a 500+ HP motor, it cost less than 10 hp (but don't quote me).

The test was done on the Holley Road Runner that Mopar Muscle documented if you want to go diving through back-issues.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

472 R/T SE

These folks seem to have a decent reputation and rebuild your stuff or offer new Sanden stuff.

http://www.classicautoair.com/Default.asp

68RT4ME

My unit is a new set up from Classic Auto air. Blows very cold and works great. They also rebuild originals but like was stated here, they aren't as efficient and do suck up allot of HP. I'm happy with mine. Installed back in January. BTW, they have a great warranty too.
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

trev0006

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on October 10, 2007, 09:43:07 PM
These folks seem to have a decent reputation and rebuild your stuff or offer new Sanden stuff.

http://www.classicautoair.com/Default.asp

Thanks for the link.
Dodge video collection

bandit67

I was told the Sanden comp will run you around 500 bucks alone, is this true?  If one has only one or two cars and drives them on a regular  basis this seems to be the way to go. But, if you have as many as I do and they are street ready , then restoring the stock system seems the way to go. The salvage yards are full of Japanease comp , and I have heard these make a good, cheaper swap. Anyone dealt with this type of installation problems..........

471_Magnum

Check eBay. I bought my Sanden for less than $200 NIB. Just have to make sure you get one with the correct pulleys.

Got my brackets from Bouchillon. Had hoses fabbed locally. The rest of my system was factory.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."