News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paint vs Powder on the OUTSIDE...

Started by Rench, August 23, 2007, 11:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rench

From my background with motorcycles, I know it's getting somewhat common to powder all the sheetmetal on bikes.  Of course, this amounts to a 4 gallon tank, a rear fender, and maybe an oil tank.

Has anyone had/seen a powder-coated car?   :scratchchin:  As in the exterior panels, all the places that should be painted, done in powder?

-Rench

daytonalo

I think we need powdercoat 101 , As the owner of a powdercoat shop , first off you never powdercoat any sheetmetal on a bike ! Only frame , brackets , bars , etc . Never sheetmetal , not that you cant , it would like nothing like a slick paint job !  In this case I will start at the basics , powder needs 375-400 to kick off , a car would catch on fire , in those areas with sealer ! Could you please go forward with Powdercoating your car , I want to print out the pics and have a good laugh with the guys at the shop !

Mike DC

It's possible, but not worth it.  A top of the line base/clear urethane coating is already pretty durable in the big scheme of things.

daytonalo

I couldn't imagine in an oven , maybe infrared , no way in an oven ! Like you said , powdercoat has peel , I just shake my head and amazed at all the clueless people who just throw money away on a final product that looks like shit !

Larry

4cruzin

The problem I see is if you ever get in an accident, you'll have to coat the whole car again to make it match according to my powder coating Co.
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

VPFD13

Me and some friends did a entire Jeep CJ in rinoliner inside and out it looks tuff but its a Jeep its suppose to look tuff and ruff
GO BIG OR GO HOME

To be born free man is an accident, to live as one a responsibility and to die as one an obligation