News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear Axle Adjustment

Started by lilwendal, October 06, 2007, 09:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilwendal

Hey guys ,    Rebuilding the rear.  Was a 742 open. Installed a cone style sure grip unit from a known good 742 case using original 3.55 gears from the original case. Green bearings.  Heres my problem. The right axle tightens  up fine but the left goes in to far were the drum will actually bind up against the backing plate.  It does this no matter wich axle I install first.  A rough estimate is the axle is going in .200 too deep. Is there a block or spacrer that I'm missing during the sure grip swap??  The only piece that was not part of the original rear was the sure grip.  My 69 service manual isn't helping me.  Any ideas?????  Thanks in advance

Ghoste

There are spacers that go into the 742 that I'm guessing didn't come with yours?  They are about an inch long and shaped somewhat like a fat bolt without any threads cut or hex on the head.  But I thought green bearings did away with the need for those?

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Ghoste on October 07, 2007, 03:45:57 AM  But I thought green bearings did away with the need for those?

They do. 

Can you see any difference between how the bearings are installed on the axle shafts?

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

lilwendal

I'll  make an actual measurement from back side of axle flange to the face of thebearing retainer and see what I have but I remember putting the two axles side by side and not seeing  an obvious difference with bearing heights. Doesn't the bearing bottom out on the axle when installed? Could the bearing be pressed on too far?

Plumcrazy

Quote from: lilwendal on October 07, 2007, 10:55:53 AMDoesn't the bearing bottom out on the axle when installed? Could the bearing be pressed on too far?

I have those bearings in my car and remember just pressing them on as far as they would go.  :scratchchin:

lilwendal

Then I'm baffled.  If the green style bearings require no side load adjustment and the bearing is pressed onto the axle as far as it will go then how can it be going too deep into the case?? In theory If I didnt even have the third member installed and just installed both axles with the green bearings shouldn't the spacing be correct?  I know  I have the correct axle in the left side because it still had the left hand thread studs that I swapped out during the rebuild.  I've got the rear together right now because I needed to move the car and have a .200 spacer between the backing plate and bearing retainer to keep it from rubbing.  I'll try tomorrow to get the axles back out and get some more measurements. If anyone has any other ideas of things to look for let me know for when I pull it bacl apart.
  Thanks

1973ChargerSE

I may be remembering incorrectly here, but I think my '68 Fury had the left-hand studs on the passenger side of the vehicle.  Could this be the issue?

Plumcrazy

Quote from: 1973ChargerSE on October 08, 2007, 03:44:03 PM
I may be remembering incorrectly here, but I think my '68 Fury had the left-hand studs on the passenger side of the vehicle.  Could this be the issue?

Left hand threads go on the left side of the vehicle