News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to clean tops of pistons?

Started by 1BAD68, July 23, 2007, 09:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

I saw a bunch of carbon build up on top of one of my pistons, is there a way to blow that out somehow without disassembly?
Like a cleaner or solvent to loosen it and then run the engine to blow it out?

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

is_it_EVER_done?

I agree with the Seafoam as it's very good at loosening build up, but water drizzled into a running engine that is up to temperature is the best de-carbonizer that I have ever found.

The water is more effective after a Seafoam treatment, but two or three, one minute treatments with water (allowing the engine to get to full temperature between treatments), produces amazingly clean pistons, valves, combustion chambers.

This is something I do whenever I have to pull heads, as it makes clean up a breeze.

1BAD68

whats the procedure for using water?

1BAD68

I finaly got some Seafoam and used it according to the directions, there was only a very little amount of smoke.
Everything I've read on this stuff says that there will be enough smoke for the nieghbors to want to call the fire department.
So I'm thinking that I must not have done it right or my engine is already clean, any idea's?