News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Weird overheating problem with my 440???

Started by Blakcharger440, October 07, 2007, 10:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

Well I got my 70 Charger RT running and the temp gauge started to climb so I shut her down.
I checked the engine and this is what I found.

Upper radiator hose - still fairly cold
Both heater hoses - extremely hot
Lower hose - fairly hot
Passenger side radiator tank - cold
Driver side radiator tank - hot

I had converted my car to have Air conditioning and took apart the AC/heater box to clean it out and make sure the heater core and everything were fine and put it back together during the restoration of the car.

I did notice that when I got inside the car I felt the floorboard area just below the AC/heater box was hot but I did not feel any moisture.

What the heck is going on???

chargerbr549

It sounds like your thermostat is not opening up for some reason or there is a blockage somewhere in that area.

Kevin

Charger-Bodie

sounds like an air lock or stuck stat to me.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemi68charger

Are we sure the sending unit is ok? I had a similar problem with my '69 C500 and it turned out to be a faulty sending unit I purchased from a local parts store.. Ended up getting a Chrysler unit from my Dodge dealership and all was good... If the needle starts to climb relatively quickly after you have initially started, I would check that. Also, you may wish to get one of those roast cooking thermometer that goes to over 500 degrees and check the water in the tank real time...  This way, you can see exactly what the temp is without the woos of the circuit of the car....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Blakcharger440

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 08, 2007, 06:20:06 AM
Are we sure the sending unit is ok? I had a similar problem with my '69 C500 and it turned out to be a faulty sending unit I purchased from a local parts store.. Ended up getting a Chrysler unit from my Dodge dealership and all was good... If the needle starts to climb relatively quickly after you have initially started, I would check that. Also, you may wish to get one of those roast cooking thermometer that goes to over 500 degrees and check the water in the tank real time...  This way, you can see exactly what the temp is without the woos of the circuit of the car....

Troy

I have a custom dash in it with all brand new Phantom Autometer Gauges.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on October 08, 2007, 09:58:19 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on October 08, 2007, 06:20:06 AM

Troy

I have a custom dash in it with all brand new Phantom Autometer Gauges.

Is your water temp sending unit a mechnical version?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

68 RT

Your Tstat is not opening or something is clogged.