News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 to 400 Swap

Started by Charger71, October 07, 2007, 11:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger71

I couldn't find a thread about this so I'm gonna ask...

I have a 1967 Coronet 4-door with a 318 and 904 (column shift).  I have an opportunity to buy a 1973 Plymouth with a 400 and 727 (column shift) to do a drivetrain swap. The running 73 car is less than $500...

My question(s) is/are:

Worth doing?
Is it an easy swap since I am buying the whole car?     
Will linkage interchange?
Will the mounts work?
Are K members the same? If not, will 73 Kmember bolt into 67?

Wheelbases are 117" for Coronet and 119-120" for Plymouth. Will drive shaft swap, too?

If you all could offer advice or ideas, I'd appreciate it.   
Charger71

Nacho-RT74

1--- maybe yes if you want to go with perfomance later, getting cheap strokes, and get a fabulous BB look on engine bay... BUT stock vs stock engine a 67 318 has practically same power than a 400, and lighter. So your decision on that. There is lot of performance stuff to SB, just that you can get more juice in a future from a BB. but as stated, stock vs stock, personally I wouldn't go with change. Dunno how much you think on modify a sedan.

2---yes... will need match engine harness with 67 bulkhead and then you will have also elec ignition and elect regulator. Dunno if radiator will match on radiator support. BB are bigger. Since 73 radiators are with water pump outlet on passenger side so radiator has the lower outlet there. Will need to match the exhaust pipes.

3--- dunno

4--- You need to get pre 72 BB mounts

5----SB and BB K members are the same K members untill 72, is in 73 where they changed. K members are completelly diff between 67 and 73, same as all the front end ( suspension and brakes )

6--- I don't think shaft will be plug in. Also joint can be diff. Will need to get the right mesure maybe shortening your one to fit the BB/727 combo, but there is ppl who will know for sure.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger71

The 318 in it now is a 73...  (Don't know if that makes a difference.)

As far as electronics, I would swap all of the from the 73 to the 67.

How difficult is it to "cut down" a driveshaft to fit swap? I am unsure if splines/yokes are the same.

So, its possible to keep K member if I get "pre-72" mounts? Engine and Tranny?

Like I said, I am trying to determine if it is worth the $$ and time before I spend money for car, parts, and disposal afterwards....
Charger71

70charger_boy

Before you make a decision check the tranny to make sure it is a 904.  I just found out I had a 727 behind my 318.  I always thought it was a 904

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Charger71 on October 07, 2007, 01:37:17 PM
The 318 in it now is a 73...  (Don't know if that makes a difference.)

yes makes a LOT diff. Go with change then. Around 80 HP more plus you'll get a charcoal piece ready to be a diamond ( 400 engine )

As far as electronics, I would swap all of the from the 73 to the 67.

you mean mount a 73 harness on a 67 bulkhead ? definitelly yes, you probably need to match, untappe and change some wires on harnesses thought. Is the donor a B body ? 67 has wiper washer bottle wire on engine harness for example and 73 and laters on forward light harness, probably plastic plug has diff notches even same cavities. Will need to check color wires on cavities and turn around to match with bulkhead wires. Is not a hard job, juts patiente. In one hour you can make it.

How difficult is it to "cut down" a driveshaft to fit swap? I am unsure if splines/yokes are the same.

Anything you'll need will need to be done on a shop, not by yourself anyway. Axle yoke is not a problem thought because you'll keep your actually one.

So, its possible to keep K member if I get "pre-72" mounts? Engine and Tranny?
is posible no, IS A FACT. K members diff between SB and BB are on 73 and laters, not on earliers.

Like I said, I am trying to determine if it is worth the $$ and time before I spend money for car, parts, and disposal afterwards....
Charger71

its all off you... stock vs stock is around 80 HP jump. Do you think all the effort worths 80 HP jump ? only you can answer that question depending on your budget and what you can make by yourself to save.

Driveshaft COULD match.

Radiator change and job is a fact.

Exhaust pipelines job are a fact.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Charger71

Thanks Nacho...

It seems like a lot of money and fabrcation to get 80 horsepower.  I could use that time and money to get more horses out of my 318.

It already has 340 4-barrel intake and is bored .030 over.

I could put headers, aluminum intake, and K&N air filter and other stuff for a lot less.

I have a set of 1967 273 SB heads with adjustable rockers.  Anybody have a SB project and want to buy or trade something for the 273 heads?

Thanks for the advice?   Charger71

Nacho-RT74

from the begining, yes is some effort, but at the end, BB is a BB and you can get more juice from it with time.

all depends about your final goal and use.

Mean 318

New BB motor mounts are like 25-30 for a pair... money well spent! Drive shaft could be done for around $150-175, u joints, cut, balance. Maybe 200... The swap ain't too bad, just good to have a tool bitch! And someone to push the car while you are kicking the motor wondering why the hell it wont move... then that friend gets you a beer when you break that fuel line you didn't see in the back... also gives you band aids and things to throw across the room, but serious. It can be done by a first timer in a day! :2thumbs: