News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help on hesitation

Started by charger Downunder, October 07, 2007, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger Downunder

When driving my charger at aprox 30 to 40 mph with my foot on the gas pedal just slightly the car hesitates (jerks). If i put my foot down hard it takes of fine,at idle its ok,its just when i am cruising with my foot slightly on the gas when the problem occurs.Any ideas engine is a 440,six pack carbs,mopar orange electronic ignition set up.I have replaced the acelerator pump.Could it be my main fuel pump going bad.Or fuel pump pushrod worn any help apreciated. Thanks Seve
[/quote]

resq302

Is your vacuum advance hooked up?  My car started doing that and then I disconnected and plugged the vacuum advance.  No more bucking at partial throttle.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

charger Downunder

My vacuum advance is hooked up,I never thought about that being the problem i will have to unplug it and check  the timing as well what should i set my timing at its a 440 and we run on 98 octane gas over here? thanks Steve
[/quote]

70charger_boy

Clogged fuel filter, pump, water in fuel. 

charger Downunder

I had a look at the fuel line from the pump to the metal vapour canisster(filter) it has a bend in it and the hose is flatenned in,may be this is restricting the flow of fuel the hose looks likes its colapsed,looks like i will have a small job to do up late one night this week its a shame i didnt spot this on the weekend.
[/quote]

70charger_boy

Quote from: charger Downunder on October 07, 2007, 04:39:38 PM
I had a look at the fuel line from the pump to the metal vapour canisster(filter) it has a bend in it and the hose is flatenned in,may be this is restricting the flow of fuel the hose looks likes its colapsed,looks like i will have a small job to do up late one night this week its a shame i didnt spot this on the weekend.

That sounds like it.  Should be an easy fix.  Good luck

charger Downunder

I took my fuel line of tonight  I noticed that the rubber fuel line that was used between the pump and the separator is forced to shape itself into a sharply bent "L" in order to make the distance of the pump to the separator; this has got to be my problem.
To fix it i am going to get the auto parts store to go through their range of MOULDED  HOSES to find one  in the shape i am after.
[/quote]

70charger_boy

Quote from: charger Downunder on October 08, 2007, 08:18:27 AM
I took my fuel line of tonight  I noticed that the rubber fuel line that was used between the pump and the separator is forced to shape itself into a sharply bent "L" in order to make the distance of the pump to the separator; this has got to be my problem.
To fix it i am going to get the auto parts store to go through their range of MOULDED  HOSES to find one  in the shape i am after.

I had the same problem with my fuel line.  I had to play with the line at the fuel pump fitting to get it straight

charger Downunder

Feels like its fixed now replaced the fuel line and still was playing up,unhooked the vacuum advance and went fine,so i put an allen key in the vacuum advance unit and  turned it clockwise  one turn to reduce the advance and now car runs fine,I have never played with it before so i cant understand why it needed adjusting may be its the new fuel we have to put up with these days?
[/quote]

70charger_boy