News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1971 383 build up questions?

Started by 79JON, October 11, 2007, 09:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

79JON

I just got a 71 Charger SE with the original 383 in it..  It was originally a 2 barrel car,  727 and it has a 8.25 rear end not sure what the gears are..  ( It may have been swapped out because I didnt think big block cars came with a 8.25 rear end, but i may be wrong)    But my question is I want to know is what is the best Carb, intake, and cam combo I should do if im leaving the bottom end stock and the heads stock and keeping the manifolds on there.        Ive read alot of posts and looked on the internet about different 383 build ups but here is what im thinking of getting.       750cfm carb, Edelbrock Performer Intake, and  the cam is what im struggling with...     I want more of a mild cam that will put out good torque numbers rather than high RPM hp.   Ive been looking at a 280 cam  .474 lift Mopar performance Purple cam, or a Lunati Voodoo cam 262 cam with .475 lift.    Tell me what yall think

RD

I know chryco would say (at least i think i know :D ) the K54 engle cam, which is a good choice.  I would agree with that, but you will get a good response with the .474 mp cam also.  the intake I would choose would be a eddy performer rpm (dual plane).  Slap on a 750 eddy and you have a pretty much maintenance free combo.

Of course, with the change in cam, to maximize the power range of the camshaft, a stall converter (26-2800) would be a good change also.  This is nothing too extreme, but if you happen to get in the grudge match with a ricer, it will help put your short stroke 383 into a rpm range where it can maximize hp/torque with your heavy car.  Just a suggestion.

All 383-2bbl cars came with an 8 1/4 standard in 71-74, the 8 3/4 was an option, this is probably 98% of all cases.

*edit*
have you looked into the small summit cam/lifter kit they sell?  that is a lower duration camshaft that is made by comp cams for sell as a summit brand.  should bring the torque you need.  I had it in my 400 that was in my 87 ramcharger and it pulled a 10.19 in the 1/8th... (4300 lb vehicle, 3.55 gears non-posi, no slicks)
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

79JON

Thanks for the response!    I have a quick question about hood clearance on my 71 Charger..  Right now it has the flat hood and Ill probably drive around with that on it for alittle while and eventually go to a buldge hood when I get the funds.   Would there be a Hood clearance problem with the Performer RPM intake on the car with the stock flat hood?   Thanks Jon

4aThrill

with the flat hood clearance is a problem, but you can lower the air cleaner plate to get it to fit. other than that it may not close, you check the clearance with some silly putty pir cleaner that you have now lower the hood and then measure the difference from there with the different manifolds.    :Twocents:

RD

I have a 73 charger, had a 400 in it with a performer rpm and a eddy on top, used 1" spacer between the dropdown air cleaner and it cleared the hood no issues.  have to use the spacer unless you use a banjo style fuel fitting on the eddy carburetors, then you can remove the air cleaner spacer.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

71mopar383

A perf rpm will fit with a 3 inch drop base filter.   I would call Scott at Straightline Performance for the cam and Tim at PTC for converter....These guys help me through my 383 issues and again PTC is working with me on my dads TCI C-4 problems.  These guys know their stuff ..

firefighter3931

The 262* voodoo cam would be a much better choice then the MP cam for the build you are contemplating.  ;)

Intake manifold ; look for an old edelbrock dp4b on e-bay....or a stock 1970 383 magnum cast iron intake. The performer RPM is nice but it's overkill for a combo this mild....not to mention the throttle cable and kickdown linkage issues.

Exhaust manifolds ; replace the 2bbl "log" style manifolds with a set of HP manifolds or a set of headers....and a 2.5in system with some good free flowing mufflers (Dynomax or Magnaflow)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs