News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ron - Crate Engine torque curve we discussed

Started by john108, January 01, 2008, 10:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

Ron:
This is the Torque curve for the crate engine we corresponded about.

• Individually dyno tested and tuned with print out
• Strong exhaust tone
• Requires 2,200 stall converters
• Works with power brakes
• Requires 91 Octane fuel

Challenger340

Only wimps wear Bowties !

69Chrgr

john108

Bob -- That Torque curve is for a crate engine that a local place markets.  I went there to see if they would do the machining of my 440 but was told that they don't do that any more but only sell Ford and Chevy crate engines.  That curve is for a 540 chevy engine.  I wondered how they got such a good torque curve and only required a 2200 torque converter. 
http://smedingperformance.com/
John

firefighter3931

John, that looks like a very streetable engine. At 540 cubic innches and with  a torque curve that flat....the cam will be specced on a wide lsa. The super flat torque curve is a dead giveaway. The cylinder heads must move a lot of air as well.

Big cubes make big power with the right combination of parts and you won't have to wind the motor too hard to get there either. This one is basicly all done by 6k.

A 540ci wedge could make the same type of power with a well sorted out combo.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Challenger340

I have a 540 Cheb just about ready for the dyno now, should be on within a coupla weeks.

It's a pump fuel engine, albeit Merlin 111 and BRODIX(ported).
I hate porting, way too old for that crap !

Should be an interesting comparitive. I'll post when done.

Our competitor is The GM crate 572 / 625 H.P.  pump fuel engines, are a great buy @ 11,900 ?
They usually Dyno higher from what we're finding.
I can't beat the price,
but I can certainly squish their power output, and with a smaller engine/better geometry !

I'm with Ron on the Mopar thing though. Should be childsplay to do a Mopar 540 WELL ABOVE those numbers on Pump fuel these days.
Better deck height, heads are inmproving every year.
Only wimps wear Bowties !