News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shell Rotella revisited (and the news isn't good)

Started by Ghoste, October 05, 2007, 06:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I remember discussions on here that it was coming but apparently it is official now, Rotella is no longer a zinc enriched motor oil.  :rotz:
I haven't checked for myself, it's just what a friend told me today.

70charger_boy

:RantExplode:  Damn, I just put some 15w-40 Shell in my car last week

0X01B8

Yep, time to put on the dark shades and a fake beard and stop by the local GM parts counter for a bottle of good old EOS.   :coolgleamA:

70charger_boy

Quote from: 0X01B8 on October 05, 2007, 09:25:22 PM
Yep, time to put on the dark shades and a fake beard and stop by the local GM parts counter for a bottle of good old EOS.   :coolgleamA:

:smilielol: :smilielol:

0X01B8

:lol:  :lol: hey, wait a minute chargerboy, halloween is coming up and it's on a Wednesday!   :scratchchin:   perfect time to wear a mask to the gm dealer...how bout this?

70charger_boy

Purple440

firefighter3931

As Painful as it is....just do it. I pulled into the local GM dealership and bought a dozen bottles of EOS....the reason i got so much was so that i wouldn't have to go back for a while.  :lol:

It sucks about the Rotella, but the info ghoste posted is basicly correct.  :P Rotella a few years ago had 1500ppm zinc/phos and the new formulation is down in the 900's for both additives.

Bottom line....protect your engine.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Same person told me EOS is no longer available but I think they have just changed the name of it is all, correct?

471_Magnum

"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

70sixpkrt

What about STP oil treatment? Is that any good?

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

70sixpkrt

I drove my Charger to the local GMC. Got alot of nice comments from salesman(vultures). I bought a bottle of EOS Assembly lube. The back of the bottle says not recommended for as an additive to engine oil. Is it ok to use it with every oil change? Ron what is the part # of the eos that you bought?

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Ghoste

I'm guessing (and only guessing) that it's done to appease the EPA.  Surely even GM wouldn't market an engine oil supplement and then advise you not to use it to supplement oil.

The70RT

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on October 06, 2007, 01:24:27 PM
I drove my Charger to the local GMC. Got alot of nice comments from salesman(vultures). I bought a bottle of EOS Assembly lube. The back of the bottle says not recommended for as an additive to engine oil. Is it ok to use it with every oil change? Ron what is the part # of the eos that you bought?

Assembly lube? Is that different?....and when you ask do you ask for EOS?...or is that an abbreviation? I am EOS illiterate...thanks.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ghoste

EOS is an abbreviation, it's General Motors Engine Oil Supplement.  I forget now but it may also be abbreviated on the bottle.

69chargerR/T

Dodge Don

I bought a bunch of bottles, it's now under the AC Delco brand.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on October 06, 2007, 12:02:37 PM
What about STP oil treatment? Is that any good?

That's what I've been using.  Buy the 4 cylinder formula, it has more zinc than the other types

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

OttawaCharger

Anyone ever look into Aero-Shell?  :scratchchin:  It's formulated for airplanes and doesn't fall under the same regulations. My father runs it in a Harley motorcycle that has seen 220,000 km without a rebuild and is still going.  :D
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

70charger_boy

Quote from: OttawaCharger on October 07, 2007, 09:48:28 AM
Anyone ever look into Aero-Shell?  :scratchchin:  It's formulated for airplanes and doesn't fall under the same regulations. My father runs it in a Harley motorcycle that has seen 220,000 km without a rebuild and is still going.  :D

I dealt with Aeroshell in my job in aviation.  I was told by several aviation and powerframe mechanics that it won't work.  However, as far as fuel you could use 100ll in your car and use Jet-A in your diesel running cars

Runner

my understanding is, eos got a name and par tnumber change.     cant be putting that hi antiscuff stuff in cars with cats and expect the cats to last so im guessing it cant be marketed as a supliment. im just happy they renamed it and are still selling it.     i think its about time for someone to make us a muscle car flat tappet cam oil.   

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

tan top

what about COMP CAMS  # 159 , brake in additive , it says use it with every oil change , is it any good???? :scratchchin: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

HILROD

The deisel oil has to be CI or CI+ certified only. The oil for newer trucks has less zinc. The newer trucks all have converters. If you use EOS, you only need a little for every oil change. Does anyone know the part number for the AC Delco additive?

MOPARHOUND!

The research I did turned up both the GM and AC-Delco equivalents being discontinued. 

AC Delco site (click on the drop down menu, click on EOS):

http://www.acdelco.com/html/pi_vehcare_lub.htm

Called around to several GM dealers, and the warehouses don't have it, only available EOS is what is left in dealer stock.  One dealer had 10, I said I'll take them.........went to pick them up, and the bozo shop foreman had told the counter-man to only let me have 2.   :brickwall:
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

70charger_boy

Charger-Bodie

i guess next time i change my erl ,ill be ordering some comp cams additive......and my gine will approve of it cause it has a comp cam in it!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

histoy

Just curious, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the value of using the original Shell Rotella oil is the extra wear protection that the zinc offered, while the camshaft was going thru the breakin period.  This typically lasts around the first 20 to 30 minutes, while you run the engine at 2000 - 2200 rpm.  Some people advocate changing the oil & possibly the filter after this short breakin period.  If this is the advantage in using the old Rotella oil, then why is it necessary to use it for future oil changes, or why is it necessary to add EOS with every oil change?    (It appears that this is a mute point going forward if the new Rotella has lower zinc and the EOS is now obsolete, as neither of the original products will be available anyway).

Here is another "old school" option you may want to consider.  Back in the sixties when I was taught to rebuild engines, we coated the cam bearings, the cam lobes, and the bottom of the lifters with Raybestos PG brake lubricant.  It's a white lithium grease.  Our instructor told us that it helped prevent camshaft wear during the engine breakin period.   Has anyone else heard of using this grease to lube engine parts?

The70RT

Quote from: histoy on October 09, 2007, 09:26:01 PM
Just curious, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the value of using the original Shell Rotella oil is the extra wear protection that the zinc offered, while the camshaft was going thru the breakin period.  This typically lasts around the first 20 to 30 minutes, while you run the engine at 2000 - 2200 rpm.  Some people advocate changing the oil & possibly the filter after this short breakin period.  If this is the advantage in using the old Rotella oil, then why is it necessary to use it for future oil changes, or why is it necessary to add EOS with every oil change?    (It appears that this is a mute point going forward if the new Rotella has lower zinc and the EOS is now obsolete, as neither of the original products will be available anyway).

Here is another "old school" option you may want to consider.  Back in the sixties when I was taught to rebuild engines, we coated the cam bearings, the cam lobes, and the bottom of the lifters with Raybestos PG brake lubricant.  It's a white lithium grease.  Our instructor told us that it helped prevent camshaft wear during the engine breakin period.   Has anyone else heard of using this grease to lube engine parts?

I have always just used the white lithium grease for the cam and stp for the bearings. I use the synthetic for the brakes.

firefighter3931

Quote from: tan top on October 07, 2007, 06:01:46 PM
what about COMP CAMS  # 159 , brake in additive , it says use it with every oil change , is it any good???? :scratchchin: :popcrn:

Yep, use it on every oil change if you can't find the EOS.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

The70RT

Quote from: MOPARHOUND! on October 09, 2007, 01:05:32 PM
The research I did turned up both the GM and AC-Delco equivalents being discontinued. 

AC Delco site (click on the drop down menu, click on EOS):

http://www.acdelco.com/html/pi_vehcare_lub.htm

Called around to several GM dealers, and the warehouses don't have it, only available EOS is what is left in dealer stock.  One dealer had 10, I said I'll take them.........went to pick them up, and the bozo shop foreman had told the counter-man to only let me have 2.   :brickwall:

How much was it at the dealership? Frigging eslayers are buying it up and selling them from 10-25 a bottle. How much of it do you add to your oil? Thanks.

0X01B8

Mobil 1 15w50 EP has still has at least modest levels of zinc.  Most of the web sites for the oil companies have Material Safety Data Sheets  (MSDS) you can download and check your favorite oil for yourself, but it's looking pretty grim out there. :-\

Ghoste

Purple440

Quote from: 0X01B8 on October 09, 2007, 10:40:23 PM
Mobil 1 15w50 EP has still has at least modest levels of zinc.

That's what I'm running now - called Mobile One and they said it's the best oil they had for the older valvetrains.

68chrgrwife

I know a few months back we traveled around to find EOS.  We did go to a GM dealership to find it ( :coolgleamA:) and it was about $12 a bottle (if my memory serves me correctly). 
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

tan top

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 09, 2007, 09:49:39 PM
Quote from: tan top on October 07, 2007, 06:01:46 PM

Yep, use it on every oil change if you can't find the EOS.  :Twocents:

Ron

thanks  RON :yesnod:              :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

I wonder if there is a way to tell the old Rotella from the new?  I still have about a case & a half of the old stuff.  There has to be old 15w-40 sitting on the shelves somewhere.  My Costco sells cases of 6 gallon bottles for like $55 IIRC
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on October 12, 2007, 08:10:14 AM
I wonder if there is a way to tell the old Rotella from the new?  I still have about a case & a half of the old stuff.  There has to be old 15w-40 sitting on the shelves somewhere.  My Costco sells cases of 6 gallon bottles for like $55 IIRC

Chris, the "new" Rotella has a sunburst logo on the jug. If it has a CJ rating it is the new stuff.

The older CL rated Rotella has all the anti scuff additives in it.  ;)

Ron

Just 6T9 CHGR

My stuff out in the shed has the CL rating.....next trip to Costco & I'll see theirs...

Thanks Ron :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chryco Psycho

Casdtrol diesel is still rated SL & has the additives , Mopar sells EOS part # Vu01197

Mean 318

These motors ran for years being drove hard and put away wet! Just change the oil every 2-3K and have fun! :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Partly because for years, there was zinc in the oil.  As an update, there was a pretty good article in the latest edition of Mopar Enthusiast that explains a lot of what is going on and what to expect.  In short, it is as Runner alluded to, the zinc has been eliminated because it affects the catalytic converter and with diesels now getting cats, the diesel oils had to change too.  They also state that Mopar and GM have both discontinued their "eos" supplements.  They mention Royal Purple high performance oil as a good choice and Harley Davidson Syn3.  Currently Chevron Delo 400 and Mobil Delvac can be used but they will be getting the zinc out soon too.  As Firefighter said, using Comp Cams break in additive at every oil change will help.
The good news may be however, that it seems Mopar may be the saviour here.  It seems that Mopar Performance has been working with one of oil additive people about a supplement for older engines.  It isn't a go yet but they are looking into it so keep your fingers crossed.

440fan

Hughes is great stuff. I know guys that race and they swear by it. I either use Hughes or EOS if I can find it.

dukeboy_318

anyone tried lucas oils engine oil supplement, ive heard alot a people starting to run it now, especially in diesels and and hp models?? :shruggy:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

Ghoste

I don't know about their supplement but I believe Lucas also offers a racing oil.  I would think that would be safe in our older engines?

OttawaCharger

Heres a new oil that was (apparently) formulated just for old cars.  Only available in 15W40 but I don't see a problem with that
http://www.wheels.daytondailynews.com/daytondailynews/content/autonews/2007/12/13/MPSWLS1215WOW.html
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!