News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ssnake-oyl Seatbelt Restorations....anyone use them/experience?

Started by Dodge Don, September 27, 2005, 07:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodge Don

Anyone have their seatbelts restored by Ssnake-Oyl? I hear they are top notch but are expensive.....curious as to what expensive means in $$.

Thinking of sending all my belts there.....if it'll cost me $400-$500 then fine......if $1,000 then perhaps not.

Anyone got experience with them?

Charger4404spd

I have heard good things, excpet the price. They wanted $800 to restore mine.

Dodge Don

$800 for a full set? Does that include the shoulder belts (not sure if 69's came with them, but 70's do)?

hemigeno

I've used them, and overall they did a great job.  I had them do the seatbelts for my R/T back in '99 or so, and they were close to $800 even back then.  That did include the shoulder belts though, and re-attaching my old labels to the new webbing.  They still look awesome, except for the scratches I've put on the release handles by constantly dropping the belt between the seat and console.

They now offer reproduction labels, with the date code of your choice.  The labels look pretty good, although they are not exact duplicates of the originals (but they're close).  At $15 per label, you have to want to do that though.

IMHO although they're a little pricey, they are well worth it.  Just try finding (or worse yet, pricing) a like-new set of belts on eBay or at the swap meet of your choice.  The last set of VGC belts I saw on eBay sold for right at $1,000. 

Although it will be a while yet, I'll undoubtedly have them do up a set of belts for the Daytona.

:Twocents:

Charger Aficionado

I got a TOP-NOTCHED set of black ones on eBay for like $600.  Date code is one notch off for my C500 (it's 1*1969, and I Need 4*1968).  Got any links to pix of repop tags?

ChargerHound69

hotrod98

The first time you have a serious wreck (heaven forbid) and those old belts fail, and they probably will, I bet the price won't seem so high. I will be the first to admit that I have neglected this area on all of my restos. I need to seriously start changing that habit. Until someone else steps up and competes, I'm sure their prices will stay up there. However, I can imagine that this type of work would be labor intensive though and with the cost of materials may actually be priced accordingly. I have heard good things about them. They will get the set of belts for my Daytona clone for sure.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Old Moparz

I recall they also make reproduction sets too. Not exact copies, but period correct seat belts. If you aren't worried about being 100% accurate it's a lot cheaper.

Here's some links I saved for other seat belt companies that someone else posted on the old site. I have no idea if they're any good:

http://www.gotbelts.com/

http://www.andoauto.com/seat_belts.htm
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

471_Magnum

I had them restore my shoulder belts. $180 for the pair if memory serves.  Came out real nice. As previously mentioned, no tags.

They just strip and replace the hardware, so if yours are real rusty, it will show after replating. They don't try to restore the metal.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

hemigeno

Here is a scan/pic of the sample seat belt tag I bought from Ssnake Oyl.  I compared my original tag to this one, and there are some differences, but all-in-all it is a fairly good reproduction.  They're a far sight better than having yellowed, twisted, worn tags (if that's all you have).

As I mentioned before, the tags run $15 each, but I don't know if that would include sewing them onto the belt webbing themselves.

They can supposedly do the later (1970+) style tags as well too, but I haven't seen any of those.