News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Here's a Factory Hemi car you've never seen before?

Started by hemi-hampton, October 03, 2007, 04:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi-hampton

Has anybody ever heard of a 1955 T-bird with a factory Chrysler Corp installed Dual Quad Hemi & Dana?

LEON.

hemi-hampton

UFO

Factory installed,No. But I do recall a how to article in one of the hot rod mags.

Charger_Fan

Chrysler installed that? Hmph!
Cool, nevertheless. :)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Magnumcharger

What's with the big HEMI-HAMPTON in the middle of the picture??
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

TK73

Interesting... and if it is something like that it wouldn't be the first time a Ford had Chrysler family engines in 'em (remind all your Ford friends):

"When the 1920s opened, there was no connection. Dodge Brothers was one of the stronger manufacturers, having started as a machine shop making engines for curved-dash Oldsmobiles and most of the assembly of the earliest Fords on a subcontracting basis before building the cars bearing their own names in 1914."

http://allpar.com/history/dodge.html

"Through 1913, nearly all Ford running gear (chassis, suspension, brakes, engines, transmissions, etc.) were built by Dodge."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge

"When the two Dodge brothers, John and Horace, decided to announce the manufacture of a new car bearing their own name after having spent many years supplying Ford with engines, even they must have been surprised at the response."

http://allpar.com/cars/dodge/dodge-cars.html

:icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

hemi-hampton

OK, I'll finish the rest of the story now, I just wanted to see how many people would call me Crazy. Yes, It is true, A Factory 1955 Chrysler installation. NO, You say. I have proof, Or Owner does he say's. Heres the Story, Ford wanted their little 2 seater to compete with the Corvette. BUT, Ford did not have a Motor that would compete. SO, They commissioned Chrysler to install there 354 Firepower dual Quad Chrysler Hemi into 6, Yes 6 of these Babies. Owner has all factory documentation, Factory Pictures & numerous other documentation. Out of the 6 only 4 still known to have Survived. A regular T-Bird probably only $50,000. This one was Recently Appraised at $120,000+ due to it's odd history/background & Documentation. Nobody else ever heard this story before, You mean I'm the first in here? LEON. :scratchchin:

chargerman68

it always amazes me the knowledge and goggle time the members do here.keep up the great searching :2thumbs:
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

TUFCAT

Leon, did the owner bring it to you for a restoration?  Cool story.  :yesnod:

bull

Quote from: chargerman68 on October 03, 2007, 10:49:57 PM
it always amazes me the knowledge and goggle time the members do here.keep up the great searching :2thumbs:

Goggle time? :smilielol:

RD

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 03, 2007, 10:18:44 PM
OK, I'll finish the rest of the story now, I just wanted to see how many people would call me Crazy. Yes, It is true, A Factory 1955 Chrysler installation. NO, You say. I have proof, Or Owner does he say's. Heres the Story, Ford wanted their little 2 seater to compete with the Corvette. BUT, Ford did not have a Motor that would compete. SO, They commissioned Chrysler to install there 354 Firepower dual Quad Chrysler Hemi into 6, Yes 6 of these Babies. Owner has all factory documentation, Factory Pictures & numerous other documentation. Out of the 6 only 4 still known to have Survived. A regular T-Bird probably only $50,000. This one was Recently Appraised at $120,000+ due to it's odd history/background & Documentation. Nobody else ever heard this story before, You mean I'm the first in here? LEON. :scratchchin:

that is just cool... the whole history.. any performance numbers?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Charger_Fan

That's a pretty cool story.
Looking at the pics again, I also noticed 2 upper rad hoses. Must have had some cooling issues at first, I assume.

Quote from: bull on October 04, 2007, 10:15:11 AM
Quote from: chargerman68 on October 03, 2007, 10:49:57 PM

Goggle time? :smilielol:

:rofl: :rofl:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

RD

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on October 04, 2007, 01:13:39 PM
That's a pretty cool story.
Looking at the pics again, I also noticed 2 upper rad hoses. Must have had some cooling issues at first, I assume.

or one is an inlet and the other is an outlet due to clearance issues on the bottom and radiator flows vertically instead of horizontally.  I wonder if my guess is correct, or well I am just as dumb as this smiley/thing looks ------->  :dance:
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

hemi-hampton

Yes, I got performance #'s. They are affixed to this car with metal tags from the 50's by Ed Eskedrian (Isky Cams) & the Timing Association showing 1/4 mile times, speed, ect, ect.  Very Interesting, I never seen anything like it before. LEON. :scratchchin:

hemi-hampton

It has 3 Radiator hoses, 2 on top going into each head & one on bottom going back into Radiator. The Dana looks like the smaller 9 1/4 Dana 44 like those used on jeeps & other trucks in the 50's & 60's.  I dont think the Dana 60 9 3/4 was available until later in the 60's. LEON. :scratchchin:

71ChallengeHer

That's pretty cool. So with 2 upper radiator hoses, did it have cooling issues?

MaMopar

If it wasn't for Dodge Henry Ford never would have made it.  Those cars weren't Fords, they were Dodge's with Ford badges.
MaMopar